Proximity sensor rubber pad gasket replacement
My braveheart pinephone never had the small gasket that covers the proximity sensor. This causes the proximity sensor to provide bad readings to phosh and blanks the screen. Now after making a phosh based image I edit the udev rules to disable the proximity sensor. I was hoping the replacement mainboard would include the proximity sensor cover, but it did not. Though an uncommon problem I'm not the only one to have this issue based on the various messages on the forum.

I tried the fix shown by RWXYZ, but I'm having trouble getting the tiny pieces aligned correctly. See https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...=proximity

Does anyone have a 3D printable fix for the proximity and light sensor gasket? I might be able to get a friend to print it some versions.

Any other thoughts on potential fixes? I'm missing the part so don't know exactly what is needed.

Thanks
It's a rectangular rubber block with holes that line up with the windows, and fits in the recess in the front panel. You can see it in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3AJEF7akkw - the second part of the video is dedicated to it.
Why not have Pine64 send you one if they failed to provide it? They left a part out of my phone and were eventually persuaded to send it to me.
(12-12-2020, 08:50 AM)puffchumpy Wrote: My braveheart pinephone never had the small gasket that covers the proximity sensor. This causes the proximity sensor to provide bad readings to phosh and blanks the screen. Now after making a phosh based image I edit the udev rules to disable the proximity sensor. I was hoping the replacement mainboard would include the proximity sensor cover, but it did not. Though an uncommon problem I'm not the only one to have this issue based on the various messages on the forum.

I tried the fix shown by RWXYZ, but I'm having trouble getting the tiny pieces aligned correctly. See https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...=proximity

Does anyone have a 3D printable fix for the proximity and light sensor gasket? I might be able to get a friend to print it some versions.

Any other thoughts on potential fixes? I'm missing the part so don't know exactly what is needed.

Thanks
I just had my phones in pieces and took some very amateur photos of mine in the jaws of my micrometer, yell if you really are clutching at straws and can cope with awful pics!

Actually considering I let the magic smoke out of 1 of my USB daughter boards could loan you 1 for a couple of weeks if you are in the UK? (Actually the antenna male came off the board with the cable when trying to unplug the antenna cable :-(  )
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(12-13-2020, 02:35 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: I just had my phones in pieces and took some very amateur photos of mine in the jaws of my micrometer, yell if you really are clutching at straws and can cope with awful pics!

Actually considering I let the magic smoke out of 1 of my USB daughter boards could loan you 1 for a couple of weeks if you are in the UK? (Actually the antenna male came off the board with the cable when trying to unplug the antenna cable :-(  )
@dukla2000, Thank you for the loan offer but I'm in the USA. The "very amateur photos of mine in the jaws of my micrometer" might be very helpful. Any measurements or dimension might help me improvise a replacement part.

@wibble , I reviewed the mainboard replacement video again. You are correct that they zoom in on the component. I took a screenshot of the proximity cover from the video:

[Image: ProximitySensorCover.png]

The piece is so small that making a replacement part is hard. I don't really have tools to work at that size. Perhaps drilling tiny holes in something rubbery and then cutting to size will work.
(12-12-2020, 08:50 AM)puffchumpy Wrote: My braveheart pinephone never had the small gasket that covers the proximity sensor. This causes the proximity sensor to provide bad readings to phosh and blanks the screen. Now after making a phosh based image I edit the udev rules to disable the proximity sensor. I was hoping the replacement mainboard would include the proximity sensor cover, but it did not. Though an uncommon problem I'm not the only one to have this issue based on the various messages on the forum.

Thanks

BraveHeart edition should already have the light sensor gasket. Please PM me your shipping address and I will send one to you.
(12-15-2020, 02:48 AM)tllim Wrote: BraveHeart edition should already have the light sensor gasket. Please PM me your shipping address and I will send one to you.

Dear @tllim 
What about customers, who still can't brought a pinephone(hello from Russia), but have assembled phone from spare parts?
My spare parts complect have no earpiece, loudspeaker and this rubber pad. I found compatible speakers and install it, but rubber pad I can't find. Can you help me too, please?
(12-14-2020, 04:51 PM)puffchumpy Wrote: ...
@dukla2000, Thank you for the loan offer but I'm in the USA. The "very amateur photos of mine in the jaws of my micrometer" might be very helpful. Any measurements or dimension might help me improvise a replacement part.

OK - attached below. I have shrunk them to 800*600, the originals are 4000*3000 (2-3MB each) - drop me a pm with an email address if you want those.

• ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(12-15-2020, 01:12 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: OK - attached below. I have shrunk them to 800*600, the originals are 4000*3000 (2-3MB each) - drop me a pm with an email address if you want those.

I think the height measurement will be very useful. PM'd you to ask for the originals.
(12-15-2020, 07:27 AM)MamlinAV Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 02:48 AM)tllim Wrote: BraveHeart edition should already have the light sensor gasket. Please PM me your shipping address and I will send one to you.

Dear @tllim 
What about customers, who still can't brought a pinephone(hello from Russia), but have assembled phone from spare parts?
My spare parts complect have no earpiece, loudspeaker and this rubber pad. I found compatible speakers and install it, but rubber pad I can't find. Can you help me too, please?

You are not suppose to assembly Pinephone from spare parts. This is not the original intent of spare parts usage.

I can send one rubber light sensor gasket to you, just PM me your address.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,124 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 2,963 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Microphone replacement SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 1,454 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,114 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Replacement Loud Speaker kmsgli 18 13,962 11-01-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: mickclark430
  LCD panel replacement instructions mob 2 2,155 09-13-2021, 05:11 PM
Last Post: mob
  Battery replacement alternative sax1960 7 6,113 08-29-2021, 07:03 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  inner earpiece speaker replacement dcinoz 4 4,260 07-24-2021, 04:37 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Screen or motherboard replacement? Static Face 2 2,859 06-08-2021, 12:57 AM