Safe to Update?
Sorry for the noob question cuz I've been out of the loop lately, but I have a Pinebook Pro running Manjaro ARM and noticed a month or two ago that there was an update that broke something. Rather than follow the workaround to fix the issue, I've just been avoiding running new updates and now I have over 400+ updates available.

Is it safe to go ahead an run all of the updates, or are there any possible issues that could occur that I'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance for the help.
What issue are you talking about?
Did you update and something broke, or you only read about it?
(12-12-2020, 05:26 AM)jiyong Wrote: What issue are you talking about?
I'm referring to the kwincrash issue. I haven't updated because of it, and I didn't know if there was a future update that resolved the issue. I'm not well versed in Linux yet and don't feel confident enough to administer fixes as issues arise. Don't get me wrong, I can follow instructions and cut and paste terminal commands, but if I accidentally made a mistake that caused another issue, I wouldn't begin to know how to fix it.
(12-16-2020, 05:34 PM)BluBombr64 Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 05:26 AM)jiyong Wrote: What issue are you talking about?
I'm referring to the kwincrash issue. I haven't updated because of it, and I didn't know if there was a future update that resolved the issue. I'm not well versed in Linux yet and don't feel confident enough to administer fixes as issues arise. Don't get me wrong, I can follow instructions and cut and paste terminal commands, but if I accidentally made a mistake that caused another issue, I wouldn't begin to know how to fix it.

I think I have seen these crashes a couple of months back, but at least for me nothing was broken on a disastrous level.
The last couple of months I haven't seen any KWin crashes.
But perhaps there are certain combinations that might still trigger it.
Were you doing anything specific to trigger it?

Looks like Manjaro has released another stable update yesterday (16-12).
So far I only had to do some stuff when they changed the update servers and haven't seen any issues with updates recently.
And looks like I jinxed it.
Did the update today and I lost the whole Leave menu.
I didn't test the power button, as I resorted to: sudo reboot

After the reboot the Leave menu is visible again.
On manjaro you can choose three main branches: arm-stable, arm-testing and arm-unstable.
You set them editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
By default Manjaro set it to stable branch.
Usually if you're on stable channel you should be almost safe when updating... there will be issues every now and then but it's the price you pay for a rolling release and it's nothing you can't resolve with a quick search.
Even the arm-testing should be safe enough if you follow the manjaro forum.
I'm running the arm-unstable branch and so far i just had to downgrade mesa package a couple of time but it's a known issue. I've had occasionally problems with wayland but reverting to X11 solved them for the time being.

Other issues may come from AUR packages but using the. usually involves a bit of knowledge on how your system works if you're planning to install sensitive packages.
Thanks guys, I feel a lot more comfortable with it now. I really appreciate the help.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 981 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,141 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,364 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,505 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z
  Trackpad firmware update Luke 263 353,968 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Luke