Would you like to see and buy the 2.2 revision?
Yes, please!
91.67%
No, thank you
8.33%
60 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes
(05-09-2021, 10:59 AM)8bit Wrote: Could be a ground loop.

Could you, please, explain a bit how could it be a ground loop?  Yes, there was an UTP (i.e. not shielded) Ethernet cable connected to the Gigabit Ethernet dongle, but the network switch on the other end probably has isolation transformers on its ports; I haven't opened it so I don't know for sure.  Thus, there should be no conductive path between the two grounds, one in the PineBook Pro and the other one in the network switch.
(03-16-2021, 02:44 PM)dsimic Wrote: What boost setting are you referring to?  I have no such option (i.e. control element) in alsamixer.

I'm not sure about ever been able to reach even close to 10 hours of battery life?  However, you're right about the low playback-only consumption of the ES8316 codec (datasheet), but the additional consumption of two speaker amplifiers (XA9108) should be accounted as well.  Unfortunately, I've been unable to find the datasheet for the XA9108 amplifier.

Until a better solution is available, increasing the total power draw of the laptop by about 7 to 15 mW is IMHO a very good trade-off for not having those annoying crackling/popping noises.
I was referring to the control weirdly labelled "Headphone" - the first one on the left in alsamixer.

It goes 0,28,56,100, and in tandem with the Headphone Mixer and DAC controls seems to have the biggest effect on volume.
(05-09-2021, 06:53 PM)pixelherodev Wrote: I was referring to the control weirdly labelled "Headphone" - the first one on the left in alsamixer.

It goes 0,28,56,100, and in tandem with the Headphone Mixer and DAC controls seems to have the biggest effect on volume.

Thank you for pointing this out!

That's a really weird label and I would have never assumed that it had such an effect on the audio volume.  It makes the built-in speakers much louder, although together with introducing a lot of audio distortion at the setting of 100.  Having it at 56 seems to produce loud and reasonably good sound.  Having it at zero, which seems to be the default, made the built-in speakers really quiet, to the point of being nearly unusable.

I'm not really sure where the control labels actually come from, they aren't found in the PineBook Pro DTS file?  I'll dig into the source code of ALSA (alsa-utils and alsa-lib seem to be the right places) to find out; maybe we can change those labels to something more meaningful.
@Unkn0wn sold this first-batch PineBook Pro to me, at a heavily discounted price and with free international shipping, as a contribution toward fixing some of the already identified hardware issues.  This is much appreciated!  The laptop arrived a couple of days ago; as originally intended, I'll use it to develop and test fixes for some of the issues.  Of course, all findings will be well documented and publicly available, for the benefit of the entire community.

As a side note, it's rather surprising how much the inside (plastic) and outside (metal) surfaces of this first-batch PineBook Pro differ from the PineBook Pro I'm using, which came from the second batch.  The difference is significant and most noticeable on the front and back metal covers: on the second-batch PineBook Pro, the metal covers are much more shiny and more slick to the touch.  The fit of the back cover also seems to be slightly worse in the first batch.

Also, the touchpad buttons are much more "clicky" on the first-batch PineBook Pro, and the clicks sound somewhat hollow; on the second-batch touchpad, the clicks are much more "thunky".  Unfortunately, the first-batch touchpad is still "laggy" and "jumpy", for the lack of a better way to describe that issue.  Surprisingly, the font used on the keycaps (it's the ISO variant) is significantly different compared with the font used on the second-batch ANSI PineBook Pro I'm using.

Once again, @Unkn0wn, thank you very much!  I really appreciate it!
Oh, and I forgot to mention this: "I don't think I've ever gotten close to ten hours" - really? I keep hearing a *lot* about battery issues, but I regularly get thirteen hours or so.

I typically use it at low brightness, and 99% of the time, the CPU is as good as idling [text editing, email, etc]. Obviously, when watching movies, or using a lot of wifi, it goes down tremendously, but I almost always have BT disabled, brightness at 40% or less, and so on.
Hi,

Here is my V1.0 wishlist

Must have
- debug on other port : USB-C (as the Helios64) or other jack
- international keyboard layouts (or blank keyboard + stickers), at AZERTY

Nice to have:
- accessible reset/recovery buttons (can be holes accessible by hairpins)
- initial boot console on display
Kind regards,
Xavier Miller.
(06-06-2021, 03:19 PM)pixelherodev Wrote: Oh, and I forgot to mention this: "I don't think I've ever gotten close to ten hours" - really? I keep hearing a *lot* about battery issues, but I regularly get thirteen hours or so.  I typically use it at low brightness, and 99% of the time, the CPU is as good as idling [text editing, email, etc]. Obviously, when watching movies, or using a lot of wifi, it goes down tremendously, but I almost always have BT disabled, brightness at 40% or less, and so on.

That's very interesting.  With no use of the built-in WiFi or BT, a USB 3.0 Ethernet dongle connected, the screen set at high brightness, and rather low CPU usage limited by applying highly restrictive thermal throttling, I don't think I could get more than four hours of battery runtime on my PineBook Pro.

(06-09-2021, 01:43 AM)alchemist Wrote: - accessible reset/recovery buttons (can be holes accessible by hairpins)

That would be a rather neat feature.

(06-09-2021, 01:43 AM)alchemist Wrote: - initial boot console on display

One of your wishes already came to fruition. Smile  Support for the PineBook Pro's video console has been already included in the U-Boot packaged by Manjaro ARM, currently in form of a patch, but the patch should be merged into one of the next releases of U-Boot.
(06-11-2021, 01:52 AM)dsimic Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 01:43 AM)alchemist Wrote: - initial boot console on display

One of your wishes already came to fruition. Smile  Support for the PineBook Pro's video console has been already included in the U-Boot packaged by Manjaro ARM, currently in form of a patch, but the patch should be merged into one of the next releases of U-Boot.

WOW! Il will get this patch and "see" the result. Thanks :-)
Kind regards,
Xavier Miller.
(06-11-2021, 02:10 AM)alchemist Wrote: WOW! Il will get this patch and "see" the result. Thanks :-)

Please, keep in mind that this new U-Boot feature isn't issue-free, as I've decribed in another thread.  It would be great if you could provide your feedback in that thread.
@dsimic
Sure, I will do!
Kind regards,
Xavier Miller.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 229 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pine Dock Networking Issue trillobite 1 182 02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: trillobite
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 126,973 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Hardware makes a strange pop noise. Gemeindepirat 7 2,740 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: User 27258
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux