Would you like to see and buy the 2.2 revision?
Yes, please!
91.67%
No, thank you
8.33%
60 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes
(12-05-2020, 07:31 PM)Arwen Wrote: Next, I'd like to see the 2 un-used USB 2.0 host ports from the internal USB 2.0 hub brought out to the main boards front edge. Plus, those 2 port's associated LED/OVCUR/PWRENB connections. And of course, GND + both 3.3v & 5v power. So this should be 2 x 6 pin pads, identical to each other. That would make it easier to use just one port. Or both interchangeably. This should also be a miniature connector hole & pad.

Note what I mean by miniature connector hole pads are smaller than the old stock type used by say the ROCKPro64 for it's main expansion. Perhaps the spacing & size used by the WiFi connector of the ROCKPro64, which is smaller, (but still reasonably easy to deal with). And as long as the connector holes are on the front edge, we could even use a right angle connector.

Having the unused USB ports exposed and accessible internally would be awesome.

By the way, those miniature connectors you're referring to are standard headers with 2 mm pitch, compared with the more common headers with 0.1-inch pitch, such as the standard USB 2.0 headers found on PC motherboards.

(12-05-2020, 08:40 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: The lid magnet position needs to be corrected.
Speaker polarity probably needs to be corrected.
The SD card slot could be positioned a little closer to the edge. 
180° hinges would be nice. 
Maybe a different WiFi chipset if possible.
Also maybe a different touch pad, or a keyboard with a pointing stick in lieu of the touchpad.
Power, power, power.  More power via the barrel socket.
A second headphone jack, so one doesn't have to share audio and serial.
Some different way to open the lid that doesn't involve the camera.
A Pine64 logo on the lid.
Change "Linux laptop" to "hobbyist laptop" on the label.
A serial number, and date stamp on the label.
Move the green LED to the leading edge or to the edge by the barrel jack so it can be seen with the lid closed.

What do you find wrong with the lid magnet position?  Mine seems to be working as expected.  Also, what's wrong with the speakers, as I haven't noticed anything wrong with them?

I'm curious about what's wrong with the current position of the Micro SD card slot?  I'd much rather see the RK3399's Gigabit Ethernet interface exposed externally through a custom connector and a "passive dongle".

Having an integrated trackpoint would simply be a dream come true.

Regarding the "Linux laptop" vs. "hobbyist laptop", I'd much rather see "open-hardware laptop".  PineBook Pros are even in their current revision very much usable outside the hobbyist circles. Smile

Frankly, I wouldn't support moving the LEDs around, as I really like to see a dedicated power-on / disk activity LED while using the laptop.  However, I do support adding a couple of LEDs on the side of the laptop, e.g. near the USB Type-C connector.

Speaking of the LEDs, having one resembling the ThinkLight found on older ThinkPads would be really nice and very usable, as a much cheaper alternative to having a backlit keyboard.

Edit: Now I see what could be wrong with the polarity of speakers in some of the PineBook Pros.  You've described it in detail in another thread.

Messages In This Thread
RE: PineBook Pro 2.2 revision: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes - by dsimic - 12-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 234 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 180 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 152 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pine Dock Networking Issue trillobite 1 182 02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: trillobite
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 527 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 958 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,129 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Hardware makes a strange pop noise. Gemeindepirat 7 2,746 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: User 27258
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,716 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,144 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux