Would you like to see and buy the 2.2 revision?
Yes, please!
91.67%
No, thank you
8.33%
60 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes
Discussion of barrel-jack power connector is very relevant to Pinebook Pro because it was a design flaw.

I think Pine64 should drop all use of them in favour of USB-C -- it was disappointment to me that Quartz64 Model A, a fairly new design SBC, had barrel power I didn't want to deal with it so it dropped out as a purchase. USB-C is standard everywhere so Pine64 ought to be keeping up with the rest of the world. It's Pine64's loss the longer they choose not to adapt and adopt fully.

In this thread we frown on all the errors in Pinebook Pro and wish for updated design.

Double-frown on fact it is still sold in original form without revision.
(10-03-2021, 06:00 AM)lot378 Wrote: Discussion of barrel-jack power connector is very relevant to Pinebook Pro because it was a design flaw.

I think Pine64 should drop all use of them in favour of USB-C  -- it was disappointment to me that Quartz64 Model A, a fairly new design SBC, had barrel power I didn't want to deal with it so it dropped out as a purchase. USB-C is standard everywhere so Pine64 ought to be keeping up with the rest of the world. It's Pine64's loss the longer they choose not to adapt and adopt fully.

In this thread we frown on all the errors in Pinebook Pro and wish for updated design.

Double-frown on fact it is still sold in original form without revision.

Presence of a feature that you dislike - whether that is USB-C or the barrel jack - is not a design flaw, it's a design decision that you disagree with. A design flaw is a mistake in the design; i.e. something that the designers did not intend. The designers intended both USB-C and the barrel jack. They did not intend the power circuitry to overheat.

You're free to have whatever opinion you want, but it'd be nice to focus on the core things that everyone can agree are issues instead of wasting time, effort, and energy (your own and other people's) on issues that people will not come to an agreement on.
(10-03-2021, 09:16 PM)pixelherodev Wrote: Presence of a feature that you dislike - whether that is USB-C or the barrel jack - is not a design flaw, it's a design decision that you disagree with. A design flaw is a mistake in the design; i.e. something that the designers did not intend. The designers intended both USB-C and the barrel jack. They did not intend the power circuitry to overheat.

You're free to have whatever opinion you want, but it'd be nice to focus on the core things that everyone can agree are issues instead of wasting time, effort, and energy (your own and other people's) on issues that people will not come to an agreement on.

It is a fact that including both barrel-jack and USB-C on the PBP was a bad design choice. Using both at the same time can be fatal to the PBP.

This thread has been running for more than 18 months and I think people are free to talk, discuss and debate anything they think is an issue or problem on the PBP. That is what being a community is about and it is their effort, time and energy that they take individual responsibility for expending. Even if I disagree, I still respect that. It is fine to disagree.

It is not for you to dictate or even attempt to shutdown what the community discusses, debates or thinks or how.
(10-04-2021, 02:46 PM)lot378 Wrote: It is a fact that including both barrel-jack and USB-C on the PBP was a bad design choice. Using both at the same time can be fatal to the PBP.

It's not quite accurate to say that including them both was a bad choice, in my opinion. The bad design choice was not including them safely. (Because, as you point out, they are installed together in an unsafe manner.)
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(10-04-2021, 03:54 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: That's not quite accurate, in my opinion. The bad design choice was not including them safely.

It is an accurate fact that it can be fatal to the PBP if both are connected at the same time but everything else you say is true. May be both power connectors could be accommodated safely but instead a bad design choice was allowed to make it to production. The present situation is worse than having just one of either power connector which would have been the safer path (even if it was barrel).
Including both will just be adding complexity in higher power charging scenarios.

USB PD has logic in it where the laptop and the charger can communicate and switch to a higher voltage if possible. Try to think how you would introduce a second DC port in to this situation and how it will work and at what power etc.
USB-C-only charging would be of great sense, especially that EU will force everyone to use this charging port in the future. Furthermore, all big phone manufacturers are already widely implementing USB-C port and their clients already own at least a QC charger capable of 15 to 25 Watts.

USB-C PD would be great for bigger power budget of future hardware (hopefully a RC3588 with native nvme and hibernate support).

Pine64 could even save couple of euros per unit getting rid of barrel charger, as they would not need: 1. a separate port on the board; 2. and a dedicated barrel charger to be included with the laptop, as most users will already have a charger capable of 3A@5V or higher up the QC/PD ladder.

ps. IMHO, 1m length barrel charger wire is a folly. It's way too short for anything other than a tabletop mounted power outlet. It's a nice touch they included it in case something bad happens, but come on, it's 21st century outside, lets move on.

1. when you open the laptop on top of bare skin the square rotating part of the back hinge coupled with the relatively sharp edge of the bottom plate gives you you a really painful pinch
  2. loctite on the screws on the underside
  3. better glue for the rubber pads on the underside

please keep it sleek, some of the ideas here would just make it another thinkpad. i think the computing power is fine for what it is but (mandatory mention i'm sorry) the power delivery makes it almost unusable
This drives me absolutely crazy! I have large hands and when hitting a key at the keyboard's extreme edges, I guess I'm not very accurate! Seriously, in an hour's text editing session, I find myself having to stop a shutdown a good ten plus times. If a software delay could be added, no hardware changes would be necessary. A three seconds delay sounds just fine to me.
 while(!(succeed=try()));
If you are using KDE....... systemsettings5
power settings, the 1st tab, pwr button -> ask
Xfce, IDK, maybe someone else knows?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 235 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 181 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 153 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pine Dock Networking Issue trillobite 1 184 02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: trillobite
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 527 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 959 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,151 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Hardware makes a strange pop noise. Gemeindepirat 7 2,750 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: User 27258
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,716 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,146 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux