4 Specific Questions--Sincere Appreciation
How is everything KDE?
I'm recently become entirely fascinated by Linux,
hope to teach my child the right way some day later,
think it would help enormously with my immediate future the same,
and was wondering if you could answer a few questions:

1. [Convergence]
If you have [i.e.] Mint or PureOS would KDE Connect work with it?

2. https://invidiou.site/watch?v=-lJt1FpVu0Q
Garuda Linux KDE looks like an e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t place to experiment with KDE for the first time--would a KDE PinePhone be able to connect with it accordingly [Kontact, etc.]?

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.kde.kdeconnect_tp/
3. I think a number of scheduling/office programs would help me enormously, and was just curious how the anbox functioned, or how many non-KDE apps were available while still remaining within the mobile setting. In relation to a Librem 5?

4. Purism can separate/create an in-line app from a website, then secure it with something similar to Firejail while keeping it safely compartmentalized...Does a Pine Phone offer anything similar?

Sincere enthusiasm for everything your entire organization works so hard on,
and honest interest in making a purchase or two perhaps sooner than not.

P.S.
This was a rather rushed message, but in return for the help, definitely let me know if you/your friend has/have a lesser known book/project, review/comment needed, deserving band/link/idea,etc.--anything I can help with from afar--that needs a little extra exposure, and I'll definitely share it somehow which might [i.e] help the promotion, as well try my best to it appropriately as well as enthusiastically.

Kindest regards,

-Paul
(12-04-2020, 11:00 PM)crujones4 Wrote: 1. [Convergence]

Pine64 is a hardware only company, software is made by communities usually.

Quote:https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.kde.kdeconnect_tp/

Most OS for the pinephone isn't compatable with android, you can use anbox but it's pretty beta

Quote:3. I think a number of scheduling/office programs would help me enormously, and was just curious how the anbox functioned, or how many non-KDE apps were available while still remaining within the mobile setting. In relation to a Librem 5?

You may need to look into nextcloud for contacts and calendar. No idea on office suites

Quote:4. Purism can separate/create an in-line app from a website, then secure it with something similar to Firejail while keeping it safely compartmentalized...Does a Pine Phone offer anything similar?

Sincere enthusiasm for everything your entire organization works so hard on,
and honest interest in making a purchase or two perhaps sooner than not.

Ubuntu touch jails all apps, even webapps which is what you seem to be asking about
Might help not to post in the PineBookPro forum if you are asking questions about the PinePhone.

But honestly, with your level of Linux skills, better wait a bit more for the software on the Pinephone to mature. It is not ready for the general user yet.
(12-06-2020, 11:49 AM)poVoq Wrote: Might help not to post in the PineBookPro forum if you are asking questions about the PinePhone.

But honestly, with your level of Linux skills, better wait a bit more for the software on the Pinephone to mature. It is not ready for the general user yet.

Much appreciation--do you think the Fairphone or Librem 5 be a worthy comparison?
Hello crujones4,

The Librem 5 has somewhat better hardware than the Pinephone, but as far as I can tell, it might be even less ready for use than the Pinephone at this time, for the simple reason that not as many phones have been in the hands of volunteers and community developers as the Pinephone, which has sold thousands of units in the past year (I'd be interested to know a more precise figure on that).

Hardware for hardware, it may seem that the Librem 5 does not warrant such a huge price difference with the Pinephone, on the other hand it is widely understood that this pricing difference is partly due to the fact that Purism invests in software developement in addition to the hardware itself (Pine64 relies on the community for the software side). Purism develops the GNOME-based Phosh UI, which is quite popular on Linux distributions available for the Pinephone.

As for the Fairphone, I believe it has even higher specs that the other two phones, but their approach is quite different. It's designed and produced for minimal environmental impact and fair labor conditions along the supply chain. They ship it with Android. Which means it must probably rely on more proprietary blobs (closed-source computer code and firmware). There's currently a port to Ubuntu Touch, but I think it's a community effort, the Fairphone company may not be involved. There may be other ports. You may not have as many choices of operating systems as with the Librem 5 and the Pinephone.

Hope this makes sense, and that I haven't strayed too far from the actual facts. I'm still quite new to all this. Smile
(12-04-2020, 11:00 PM)crujones4 Wrote: 1. [Convergence]
It mostly works - I've used it on Mobian with Phosh and it connects to my desktop more or less as I can use KDE Connect between the desktop and a laptop. So far as I can tell it's missing the telephony integration I get with the Android version. Like many desktop apps it has some GUI issues when running on the phone.
I think Librem 5 should be more reliable exactly because Purism develops software for it, but has less features due to smaller community. Concerning Fairphone, it is also sold with freed Android: https://esolutions.shop/shop/e-os-fairphone-3/.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPS map navigation for PinePhone or PineTab? and other questions... c_mmxx 5 11,382 05-12-2021, 09:09 AM
Last Post: wibble
  The questions that mobile phone reviewers never ask amosbatto 6 5,462 11-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Pre-arrival questions ryo 4 4,409 11-01-2020, 07:35 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Trigger happy proximity sensor, broken volume control & other newbie questions grug 3 4,276 09-10-2020, 05:57 AM
Last Post: megous
  PinePhone development questions (Or: U-Boot PinePhone 3GB support) jbit 1 2,877 09-03-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: jbit
  My pinephone problems/questions xinyiman 3 4,433 06-30-2020, 03:16 AM
Last Post: xinyiman