XFCE Window Tiling
I currently use XFCE on my Pinebook pro and most is fine. But I really miss the basic tiling from Gnome(is running on a different machine): pressing `super`+ arrow keys makes the current window tile to the left, right or full screen(up).

There is an option in Window Manager -> Keyboard for 'Tile window to the left', but it doesn't really work for me. 

1.Setting  and using `super`+ `Left_Arrow` only works when I first press `Left_Arrow`. But usually I do not think about about which of the keys I press first.

2. It arbitrarily does not work half the time and when it works it sometimes takes just a bit long.

I tried the same setting on an hp stream 11 -- also fairly low power -- and it works perfectly fine and is really quick.

Anybody else have this problem?
(12-03-2020, 03:53 PM)Telefza Wrote: I currently use XFCE on my Pinebook pro and most is fine. But I really miss the basic tiling from Gnome(is running on a different machine): pressing `super`+ arrow keys makes the current window tile to the left, right or full screen(up).

There is an option in Window Manager -> Keyboard for 'Tile window to the left', but it doesn't really work for me. 

1.Setting  and using `super`+ `Left_Arrow` only works when I first press `Left_Arrow`. But usually I do not think about about which of the keys I press first.

2. It arbitrarily does not work half the time and when it works it sometimes takes just a bit long.

I tried the same setting on an hp stream 11 -- also fairly low power -- and it works perfectly fine and is really quick.

Did you updated the keyboard firmware ? I did it with this community firmware which is much better than the original firmware, especially with super key combination.
https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rd-updater

If it is slow, maybe it's the compositor ? Have you considered migrating on wayland ? pbp panfrost support for xorg is not optimal, but it works great on wayland. xorg can only been advise when using the proprietary graphic driver blob from mali. If using panfrost, consider wayland (gnome is running on wayland if you are used to).
(12-04-2020, 12:18 AM)rimaille Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 03:53 PM)Telefza Wrote: I currently use XFCE on my Pinebook pro and most is fine. But I really miss the basic tiling from Gnome(is running on a different machine): pressing `super`+ arrow keys makes the current window tile to the left, right or full screen(up).

Did you updated the keyboard firmware ? I did it with this community firmware which is much better than the original firmware, especially with super key combination.
https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rd-updater

If it is slow, maybe it's the compositor ? Have you considered migrating on wayland ? pbp panfrost support for xorg is not optimal, but it works great on wayland. xorg can only been advise when using the proprietary graphic driver blob from mali. If using panfrost, consider wayland (gnome is running on wayland if you are used to).
Fairly certain I did do the kayboard firmare update quite a while ago.

Regarding X11/Wayland, I checked and it tells me that I use X11 (did this). I am running the regular Manjaro XFCE.
How would I change to Wayland and are there any caveats when doing so?

I really do not mind any proprietary graphics driver blob as long at it works better; but how would I even figure out if I use panfrost or the diver blob?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newer ""emmc-installer" images (manjaro xfce) magistral 1 1,034 10-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  trouble switching window managers junefish 0 955 01-23-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: junefish
  OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available Luke 35 52,826 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Last Post: werwolf
  Error Log has a few scetchy things. Manjaro Xfce SpaceLord 0 1,479 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: SpaceLord
Heart PBP Arrives Tmmro, Manjaro 20.12 xfce, Seeking Install Notes/Tips/Tricks/Advice SpaceLord 4 4,279 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Last Post: SpaceLord
  What window manager do you recomend for lowering ram usage? sunjam 9 12,649 12-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Last Post: rimaille
  [Release] Fedora 32 Workstation, KDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon Images wideawake 20 19,606 11-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Tharadash
  Manjaro XFCE MPV Hardware Acceleration p3pp3r 2 5,349 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Last Post: p3pp3r
  Manjaro XFCE vs. Manjaro KDE pawlinski 0 2,295 09-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Last Post: pawlinski
  Manjaro XFCE: Vastly improved experience with Picom (Compton) compositor jichu4n 2 12,452 07-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: jichu4n