Report from the bleeding edge: calling / texting
(01-24-2021, 09:48 AM)PaulO Wrote: I rebooted the phone and now there is no way to close apps as the black circle with the white "X" (close button) is no longer on the thumbnail windows.  I know there were a couple of Gnome updates that were in the update list and I suspect that's what removed the close button.  Is there any way to re-enable the button?

Sliding up closes them now. I don't know whether there's a way to get the old behavior back.
Desca - THANK YOU!!!  I looked all over the Gnome sites trying to find a solution.  Swipe up is about the only motion I did not try.  Was this change documented on some web site somewhere?  If so, where?  Obviously, I wasn't looking in the right place.
(01-24-2021, 09:48 AM)PaulO Wrote: I rebooted the phone and now there is no way to close apps as the black circle with the white "X" (close button) is no longer on the thumbnail windows.  I know there were a couple of Gnome updates that were in the update list and I suspect that's what removed the close button.  Is there any way to re-enable the button?
You must not be on the edge branch, that change came down a long time ago for edge.  The button is gone and is supposed to be gone.  Just flick the app away with a swipe upward and it closes.  Buttons are so old, yeeting things is the new hawtness.   Big Grin   Seriously though, once you do it a time or two it is second nature, it really is an improvement.
(01-24-2021, 09:35 PM)PaulO Wrote: Desca - THANK YOU!!!  I looked all over the Gnome sites trying to find a solution.  Swipe up is about the only motion I did not try.  Was this change documented on some web site somewhere?  If so, where?  Obviously, I wasn't looking in the right place.

The only reason I knew was that I watch what pmOS is up to on gitlab, and I saw some mention of this some time back, probably when it went into edge.
Another update.  Development pace is still fairly rapid.

The good, the speakerphone now works.

Almost at the same time the phone stopped working.  Outbound calls only occasionally connect, inbound ones will wake the phone (so the modem is probably not the problem) and then nothing.  Sometimes, usually if the phone is already awake, it will ring but when you hit the answer button nothing happens but you do see a failed call in the log in that case.

Camera is still a no-go zone.

Retreating to Manjaro in the multi-distro for a few days to let this sort itself out, calls are kinda a must have feature.
(02-06-2021, 12:22 PM)jmorris Wrote: Almost at the same time the phone stopped working.  Outbound calls only occasionally connect, inbound ones will wake the phone (so the modem is probably not the problem) and then nothing.  Sometimes, usually if the phone is already awake, it will ring but when you hit the answer button nothing happens but you do see a failed call in the log in that case.

That's roughly my experience on stable since eg25-manager came along a while ago. On gitlab it hasn't looked like they've been focusing on any problems with calls, so far as I can recall.
Good news everyone!

Haven't seen an update that looks especially targeted to the problems but something has improved. Back to daily carry on Postmarket again. Calls work, in and out and now the keypad sends digits, even if it doesn't generate any tones in the earpiece or speakerphone when you press the buttons. The asterisk system on the other end responded so it is good news.

Camera is still useless, address book bug is still there. But development is still fast and furious and things tend toward improvement.
Hey Everyone,
My texting does work but any time I receive a text, I get double. I can make and receive calls but so much noise that you can not hear each other. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Camera does work but not clear.

Thank You for any help
Chris
Update time.  Calls mostly work and have for a few weeks so maybe the excitement is dying down there.  Speakerphone switching works.  The dialpad generally works now but doesn't make any sound as feedback.  Livable.  Starting to feel like a phone instead of a science project!

Gnome-contacts still crashes when adding some fields to a contact but evolution's contact editor works and the edits display in gnome-contacts.  Ok. The dialer still won't easily create a contact from a call record.

Camera sorta works if you downgrade to tiff 4.1.x and megapixels 0.14 if you launch and kill when it is blue on the first run after boot.  Still isn't properly integrated into the gnome video plumbing so gnome-authenticator can't work.  Researching how to manually make an entry.

Lollypop is looking good for a music player but it can't make the headphone jack work.  Best I can tell you need a console for that, alsamixer is klunky but gives total control over audio routing.  pamixer is also useful.  pnmixer is supposed to be a graphical tool but won't launch.  Once you do get audio routing going the volume hard buttons work.  It does suppress system suspend so it will keep playing in your pocket.  Battery implications are what you would expect for a device without a bigLittle SoC, a current minimum frequency of 648MHz and generally incomplete power management, all day playback ain't going to be pretty.

Portfolio now works for a file browser that is better optimized to a phone display.
Been awhile, time for an update on the state of play.

Things have been crashy around suspend, it doesn't always wake up.  Outbound calls have become spotty, try a time or two and you can usually call out.  Think inbound is still ok.  Texting works and the word over in the devel channels is mms is probably going to land real soon now, on target to be the first distribution to have it working, so that will be great.  Be on the lookout for earpiece volume to find itself at zero, if it looks like it is dialing or taking a call and you can't hear anything, push the vol up button!  The phone app now allows dialing from contacts, so improvements keep rolling in.

Camera is still megapixels only and it still comes up blue on the first run.  But the current release works and is getting better.  But no flash, no video and no using the camera with other applications like Gnome Authenticator.  If you take the raw files and post process with UFRaw you can get decent pictures now.

The headphone issue is now known to be a problem with PMOS not detecting headphones.  It will detect headsets though and do the right thing.  Mobian works so the hardware can tell the difference, meaning it will eventually get fixed.  Lollypop can prevent suspend, firefox can't.  See code that is intended to keep it awake if sound is active, apparently doesn't work yet.

Besides the crashing, something else is up with power management, battery life has dropped visibly in the last week or two.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 683 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,234 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  Texting works (But...) Zweitaktmotor 7 9,736 05-30-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: nieral
  No sound on edge posh since an update 2 days ago ? winktheman 2 3,222 05-27-2021, 12:49 PM
Last Post: winktheman
  Contact app broken on edge jmorris 3 10,286 05-03-2021, 04:49 AM
Last Post: janvlug