Price of Pinephone is going to increase by $100?
Upd: The price in the online shop will not increase, only the price in the (new) retail stores: https://www.pine64.org/2020/12/02/pine-s...il-stores/

The online shop shows the following:

Community price: $149.99

(Retail price: $249)

Similarly, for the convergence package:

Community price: $199.99

(Retail price: $299)
Wow, that is not a good sign.
(12-01-2020, 10:43 AM)fsflover Wrote: On the new preorder page for Pinephone KDE Community Edition, one can find such text:

Community price: $149.99

(Retail price: $249)

Similarly, for the convergence package:

Community price: $199.99

(Retail price: $299)
I hope Pine64 addresses this sooner than later, because this is confusing and might not reflect well upon the company.

I know as of right now the prices they settled on for pinephones are breaking even, plus $10 that goes to the community that each batch of pinephones was made for.

The only way I could find this acceptable is if there is some agreement in the works to get the pinephone in physical stores at that new price point, since physical stores need to make a profit to exist.
the website was very clear with the Braveheart and UBPorts editions that the Pinephone was offered at the price point it was for tinkering minded enthusiasts to help them beta test the hardware. a higher retail price is perfectly in line with their stated intentions. there used to be a giant red blurb on the order page about how the software is pre-alpha, and the phone is offered so cheap to encourage people to do testing.
Inflation hasn't exactly stopped. If they were breaking even six months ago, they're losing a lot of money now. Plus the whole covid thing, prices on some materials are just skyrocketing. Add to that the overall cost of retail rioting and looting. Then, assume at some point the company needs to bring in money for product development. Now think about all the complaints about "customer support". If that's going to improve, it's going to cost money.

On top of all of that, PinePhones seem to be selling faster than they can make them.
WOW, that's a weird thing... I didn't expect that!

(12-01-2020, 03:21 PM)hiimtye Wrote: the website was very clear with the Braveheart and UBPorts editions that the Pinephone was offered at the price point it was for tinkering minded enthusiasts to help them beta test the hardware. a higher retail price is perfectly in line with their stated intentions. there used to be a giant red blurb on the order page about how the software is pre-alpha, and the phone is offered so cheap to encourage people to do testing.
Well, the message is still there (see attached image); anyway, it's still a great price, hopefully it can become stable enough to be used as a proper phone before the price increase

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
Even at the higher price, the Pine phone will still be only about one quarter the price of the closest competitor .....

Not saying I want the price to go up,

but that I do think the Pine phone will still be reasonably priced.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
iPhone 12 Mini (cheapest current generation iPhone) is 55,440 yen (530.95 USD).
Google Pixel 5 is 87,840 yen (841.24 USD).
In comparison, 249 USD (25,999 yen) for a Pinephone is still very reasonable.

Especially considering the fact that the expensive 2 are designed to last only 1 or 2 years, getting weakened by each OS update, you have no say about what happens to the phone, and are practically locked down into either Apple or Google walled gardens.
Pinephone on the other hand is designed with the same life span as a regular PC (so you can replace parts to upgrade or to extend its life), OS updates might or might not break or fix stuff, you do with it what you want, and don't have any walls surrounding you.
I have long thought that PINE64 needs to charge more for the PinePhone, in order to be able to pay some developers to work on the hard problems like firmware development. Plus, I think that PINE64 needs to be able to provide a normal 1 year warranty and provide decent customer service if it wants to reach a wider range of customers.

What I would like to see is PINE64 not only working on firmware that helps all the distros, but PINE64 being able to pay for software development that helps a lot of distros. Paying developers to improve Crust and wakeup speed for phone calls, and work on a camera app would improve the PinePhone significantly.

If order for mobile Linux to reach the mainstream, it is going to need some paid software developers working on it. I pre-ordered the Librem 5 precisely because I thought Purism's software dev work was important to support, and I think that many backers of the PinePhone will come to a similar conclusion if they can see the extra money in the price hike being used to pay for necessary dev work that helps many distros.
Everyone is free to, and should, contribute to their favourite developers. We don't need Pine64 to do this for us.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 266 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 185 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 450 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 107,070 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,688 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 558 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,214 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 461 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,602 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,803 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma