PBP Not Charging
Since getting my pbp a few months ago it has occasionally failed to start up due to an unexpected empty battery. This has been regardless of the level of charge on the last shutdown and often even occurred while plugged in for topping up. So far, the remedy has been to let it continued charging for a day or so.
Happened again a few days ago but now it won't charge at all and can't even be started, despite being plugged in and charging that whole time. Pressing the start button (whether it's plugged in or not) lights up the amber LED, sometimes goes to green, as normal... but then turns off. It once got to the login screen, showed the battery at 0%, and died.
Up till now the battery, once charged, has had decent life, so it's probably not a bad battery. Although I don't think I've ever seen it at more than 60-70% regardless of the time it's been on the charger.

Any thoughts?
(11-26-2020, 07:31 AM)wolf Wrote: Since getting my pbp a few months ago it has occasionally failed to start up due to an unexpected empty battery. This has been regardless of the level of charge on the last shutdown and often even occurred while plugged in for topping up. So far, the remedy has been to let it continued charging for a day or so.
Happened again a few days ago but now it won't charge at all and can't even be started, despite being plugged in and charging that whole time. Pressing the start button (whether it's plugged in or not) lights up the amber LED, sometimes goes to green, as normal... but then turns off. It once got to the login screen, showed the battery at 0%, and died.
Up till now the battery, once charged, has had decent life, so it's probably not a bad battery. Although I don't think I've ever seen it at more than 60-70% regardless of the time it's been on the charger.

Any thoughts?

Mine (first batch PBP with initially the MrFixit release, now on Manjaro) never decently charged with the provided charger and barrel plug, but "just works" with USB-C charging.
Red charging light goes out on barrel plug, or was not really charging but on, and I expect internal HW issue, but never looked into it since I now just charge with USB-C.
(And hope to get the dock with USB-C and that charging via it will work).

Hope this helps.
(11-26-2020, 07:50 AM)pljanson Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 07:31 AM)wolf Wrote: Since getting my pbp a few months ago it has occasionally failed to start up due to an unexpected empty battery. This has been regardless of the level of charge on the last shutdown and often even occurred while plugged in for topping up. So far, the remedy has been to let it continued charging for a day or so.

Any thoughts?

Mine (first batch PBP with initially the MrFixit release, now on Manjaro) never decently charged with the provided charger and barrel plug, but "just works" with USB-C charging.
Red charging light goes out on barrel plug, or was not really charging but on, and I expect internal HW issue, but never looked into it since I now just charge with USB-C.

Hope this helps.

which usb-c charger (quick charging?) do you use? And anyone an idea what charger should be used with the dock (in the announcement it was mentioned that the dock can also provide power to accessories connected)...

I am regularly checking the store for the usb-c dock, but still no avail... Sad
(11-26-2020, 01:06 PM)appelgriebsch Wrote: which usb-c charger (quick charging?) do you use? And anyone an idea what charger should be used with the dock (in the announcement it was mentioned that the dock can also provide power to accessories connected)...

You can use pretty much any USB PD (Type-C) charger, because the power circuitry inside the PineBook Pro actually doesn't utilize any of the advantages provided by USB PD chargers.  Unfortunately.
(11-26-2020, 07:50 AM)pljanson Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 07:31 AM)wolf Wrote: Since getting my pbp a few months ago ...

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this solved the immediate problem. I picked up a $10 USB-C cable and with a regular 2A phone charger got it up to 100% in a few hours. Working again!
If I had a dead barrel plug wall wart, I'd fix it or get one to replace it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,630 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers
Photo PineBook Docking Deck charging port? ColoBill 3 5,111 02-26-2021, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Paull
  USB-C charging specifications zxorg 11 13,685 07-12-2020, 10:23 AM
Last Post: zxorg
  Not charging via barrel plug anymore LutzFechner 1 2,790 03-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: decisivedove
  Improving charging of PBP battery james64 8 9,912 02-04-2020, 02:54 AM
Last Post: bcnaz