eMMC Trouble After Flashing WRONG Image
I booted into a microSD-borne Manjaro on my PinebookPro and used Manjaro's `manjaro-arm-flasher` to permanentize that distribution. In that process, however, I chose the wrong image `rock64` rather than `pbpro` and as a result ended up with a PinebookPro that is not even able to boot from the microSD any longer.

In a first attemtp at remediing this situation I have switched off the eMMC on the main bord - now booting from the microSD is possible. The wiki says the eMMC is hot-pluggable, so I hoped when switching it back on when the system is up and running, I could just reflash it and be fine.

BUT: when toggling the eMMC's hardware switch on the running system, the blockdevice does NOT (re)appear accessible for the `manjaro-arm-flasher` utility.
My next step is trying to have journalctl -f running while toggling the eMMC to have a better feedback of what may be going wrong ...

Can anyone help me out with this situation?
use these instructions after turning the emmc back on, while booted from SD: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid62426
(11-24-2020, 09:38 AM)tophneal Wrote: use these instructions after turning the emmc back on, while booted from SD: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid62426
Those seem simple - I'll try tonight and report back - many thanks for your pointer.
(11-24-2020, 09:58 AM)balin Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:38 AM)tophneal Wrote: use these instructions after turning the emmc back on, while booted from SD: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid62426
Those seem simple - I'll try tonight and report back - many thanks for your pointer.

Thank you very much - worked like a charm and I successfully flashed the pbpro Manjaro 20.10 image - yay! Big Grin
Hi!

I just "bricked" my PBP. Stil able to boot from SD card but not sure if I will have to do the eMMC off/on stuff.

The Wiki says not top open the lid with the bottom cover removed. How did you manage to flip the switch?

Close the lid, open the back, turn off, put bat the cover, open the lid, boot from SD, close lid, open covoer, flip the switch, put back the cover and open the lid or you did everything with the cover removed, or … ?
Open the lid 90°.
Set the PBP on a table top so that the display overhangs the edge of the table.
Take the bottom cover off.
From this point on, if you have to handle the PBP, only grasp it by the display half, else you can damage it.
Don't tip it up or turn it over, parts will fall out.
Turn off the eMMC.
Turn the PBP on and let it finish booting to an SD card.
Turn the eMMC on.
Put the bottom cover back on.
Follow the above instructions to bind the eMMC.
(12-29-2020, 08:32 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Open the lid 90°. 
Set the PBP on a table top so that the display overhangs the edge of the table.
Take the bottom cover off.
From this point on, if you have to handle the PBP, only grasp it by the display half, else you can damage it.
Don't tip it up or turn it over, parts will fall out.
Turn off the eMMC.
Turn the PBP on and let it finish booting to an SD card.
Turn the eMMC on.
Put the bottom cover back on.
Follow the above instructions to bind the eMMC.

Thanks I think I over-though here  Rolleyes

Anyway, only the extlinux file was bad. I was able to fix everything without having to reflash the eMMC while playing with the switch.
Normally the only time you ever need to flip the switch is if your eMMC is corrupt, especially the U-boot portion. If you can boot from SD, you never need to do it. I should have stated that in the last post, but you figured it out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,121 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,919 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 292 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Blank screen after Armbian 20.04 install to emmc? psychoacoustic 3 3,345 04-01-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Fix for Armbian not booting on PBP from eMMC agreenbhm 7 3,655 04-01-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  My installation guide starting from messed up eMMC Besouro 0 814 12-19-2022, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  Resume from suspend not working after flashing Tow-Boot to SPI xp19375 3 1,862 10-31-2022, 10:14 AM
  newer ""emmc-installer" images (manjaro xfce) magistral 1 1,037 10-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  6/22 run of PBPs - is reimaging eMMC with new OS possible still? elitegamercody 29 10,828 10-04-2022, 07:55 PM