How hard to replace screen?
Slightly OT, but for cross-cultural clarification is that an American 'pissed' ~= angry, or British 'pissed' ~= drunk? I'm guessing American, but either would fit.
(11-27-2020, 06:48 AM)wibble Wrote: Slightly OT, but for cross-cultural clarification is that an American 'pissed' ~= angry, or British 'pissed' ~= drunk? I'm guessing American, but either would fit.

In America, pissed == angry. Smile

I'll give heat a try to release that board from the old screen housing. It worked really well for taking off the black adhesive square and releasing the ribbon cables.
(11-26-2020, 02:12 PM)p1trson Wrote: I do agree. Yesterday I've used Martjiin's video (no complaints), but exactly - it wasn't mentioned / recorded that I have to transfer the cameras and rubber part as well (figured that our on my own).

Damaging the coaxial cable is my fault indeed I have missed to check it before putting all back together, but I was pissed at that time, since it gave me hard time to connect back the coax cable back to the new mainboard. Also for that exact screw which cutted the coax cable, I've noticed that while screwing it was a little bit harder (but not that much) at that place when compared to rest.

Anyway the place between coax cable and where screws go is very thin, and I guess it's quite easy to make the mistake I did.
Some updates added to the wiki section on swapping mainboards - please tweak if they still don't cover your experience.
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#S...d_revision

It probably still needs moving to a new page as extending to cover the screen replacement will get rather long.
(11-27-2020, 06:48 AM)wibble Wrote: Slightly OT, but for cross-cultural clarification is that an American 'pissed' ~= angry, or British 'pissed' ~= drunk? I'm guessing American, but either would fit.

Big Grin  yeah in that case I meant American interpretation ^^
Progress report - the screen is installed but there are a couple of problems. After the phone boots up the screen immediately goes blank, both on the factory-installed Manjaro and Mobian on an SD card. Seeing a recent thread on that topic it appears that the problem is the proximity sensor which I did not realize had to be transferred from the old screen housing. I moved it over, including the little rubber gasket, but unfortunately the problem remains.

The other issue is that I managed to damage the buzzer, which is attached to the USB-C side board. When prying that out of the old screen it is all too easy to pry it apart. That part is currently out of stock in the store, however it's not critical to the phone's operation.

I'll have to take another look at that proximity sensor. I'm getting very good at taking this thing apart...

EDIT: I took the phone apart again and checked that the proximity sensor and rubber gasket were seated OK and pulled the contacts up a little for a better connection. At least I think that's the proximity sensor, I found a diagram that said it was the "Reciver" but the user manual seems to say it's the speaker? It's a small rectangular piece with spring-loaded contacts on the back. A diagram calling out what everything is would be really helpful. Closest I could find is this, and Item #5 is what I'm looking at, with #4 being (I think) the rubber gasket:

https://files.pine64.org/doc/datasheet/p...%201.0.pdf

Anyhow, I currently have the same problem, screen fades out after a few seconds. I also took a look with a magnifying glass and can see that when I accidentally pried the buzzer apart that a connection on a solder pad broke. That can wait until I can get another USB-C sideboard, the screen problem is what is making the phone unusable.
Here's what I'm looking at, this is the old screen. The rectangular component with spring contacts was moved to the new screen. The unidentified component to the right was included with the new screen, however a metal screen that goes over it was not so that was moved to the new screen.

[Image: old-screen-components.jpg]

The same locations on the new screen now look like this, so my question is which if either might be causing the problem with the screen blanking out immediately, or should I be looking elsewhere?

[Image: new-screen-components.jpg]
The one with the spring contacts is the earpiece speaker for phone calls! The flexi circuit is for the display I think. The housing for the proximity sensor is to the right of the flexi circuit - if you compare the old and new screen pics you'll see the rubber present in the old one and not the new one.

IIRC bridadan's video shows the swapping of the proximity sensor surround rubber in the second half of the video - the first half missed it and had the problem you described.
https://youtu.be/J3AJEF7akkw
You have a better eye than I do, it was staring me right in the face! That did the trick! So unless I discover some other problem it looks like I'll just need to replace the USB-C side board to get the vibrator working again. Also I managed to lose one of the tiny screws so I'll order some when I get the USB board. (Not a serious problem with so many screws holding this together, I think.) Thanks!
Glad to hear it's mostly working. I assume you've been strategic about which screw you've left out - from what I remember some seemed more important than others. Any chance you could add some advice on this to the wiki? It's meant to use the same login details as the forum, but it seems some people have had to create a separate account.
(11-30-2020, 01:12 PM)wibble Wrote: Glad to hear it's mostly working. I assume you've been strategic about which screw you've left out - from what I remember some seemed more important than others. Any chance you could add some advice on this to the wiki? It's meant to use the same login details as the forum, but it seems some people have had to create a separate account.

I found the missing screw. It's so small it was kind of "hidden" in the small folds of metal stamping in the magnetic parts tray. I had operated the phone without it for a while. Until I found the missing screw I left one out to the right of the battery and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I posted some details and suggestions about screen replacement towards the end of this thread when someone asked about it:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid84809

Tried to log into the wiki with my forum credentials and that didn't work. I'm really not familiar at all with wiki editing but will create an account there and take a look at it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 369 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,321 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 144,640 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,125 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,620 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,724 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 4,004 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,274 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,214 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays. holycow 6 4,510 12-26-2021, 04:49 AM
Last Post: barray