an OS Update is being offered on "Software" - should I do the update?
Question 
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, in the late afternoon, I have gotten on my PinePhone Manjaro's "Software" application a notification that an OS update is available.

I did not download it yet, after reading some comments here and there that the update is fragile and even bricks the phone.

Should I do the update?

Additionally, a suggestion (I hope somebody from the Manjaro-arm team is reading here):

It would be super useful, if when releasing an OS update, a relatively detailed description will be added.

I mean, "performance and security improvements" is good to be used at the first line of the description, but it does not contain enough info for an OS update IMHO.

Well - sure, it is impossible and unnecessary to mention every single file or lib that is being updates / replaced / removed etc.. but I'd say it is quite important to also include important details such as:

1. if the kernel is being updated (and to which version exactly)
2. if any core library is being updated (incl. versions etc.. as well) 
3. if any important feature of the phone is being updated (e.g. "Screen lock functionality improved", or "xxx was replaced by yyy" etc..)

My 2 cents  Wink

And once again, a big thank you to the manjaro-arm team, for working relentlessly on improving Manjaro for the PinePhone, I feel that it has huge potential and I that we are not too far away from having a phone that has an almost acceptable stability to be used as a daily driver.

* I would like to mention, that even though I do it anonymously (and wish to keep it that way) - those of you who can, please donate to the Manjaro-arm team, you can donate as low as $1 / 1. those guys are working on this project using their own free time, the least we can do is support the costs of the basic test equipment, hosting, etc..
I have used this link: https://opencollective.com/manjaro-arm/donate  (I am in Europe)
You can tap on any item in the Updates tab in Software to display details about the update, what version you're updating and what the new version is etc. For the "OS Update" item, it shows that info for all the packages that are considered "OS updates"; things like the kernel, init and other libraries that can't be considered "apps" are all there with all the details you need. You can also try a manual update with "pacman -Syu" in the terminal which will list all those things too.
(11-13-2020, 08:43 AM)marcih Wrote: You can tap on any item in the Updates tab in Software to display details about the update, what version you're updating and what the new version is etc. For the "OS Update" item, it shows that info for all the packages that are considered "OS updates"; things like the kernel, init and other libraries that can't be considered "apps" are all there with all the details you need. You can also try a manual update with "pacman -Syu" in the terminal which will list all those things too.

Thank you for the input.

Yes, I have noticed that I can click on the "OS Updates" item, and it slides down a "detail view",and one package was listed there with the version etc.. so from what I understand, if additional components were to be updated, they should be listed there as well?
(11-14-2020, 05:00 AM)kern707 Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 08:43 AM)marcih Wrote: You can tap on any item in the Updates tab in Software to display details about the update, what version you're updating and what the new version is etc. For the "OS Update" item, it shows that info for all the packages that are considered "OS updates"; things like the kernel, init and other libraries that can't be considered "apps" are all there with all the details you need. You can also try a manual update with "pacman -Syu" in the terminal which will list all those things too.

Thank you for the input.

Yes, I have noticed that I can click on the "OS Updates" item, and it slides down a "detail view",and one package was listed there with the version etc.. so from what I understand, if additional components were to be updated, they should be listed there as well?
Yes, "OS Updates" would list all the packages that would be updated. If you can see only one, it means only one will be updated. If you're still unsure, you can use the "pacman" command (Arch Linux's, on which Manjaro is based on, package manager) that I wrote in my previous post. For more info, you can enter "man pacman" in the terminal to open the manual for the pacman command.
Thumbs Up 
(11-14-2020, 10:08 AM)marcih Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 05:00 AM)kern707 Wrote:

Thank you for the input.

Yes, "OS Updates" would list all the packages that would be updated. If you can see only one, it means only one will be updated. If you're still unsure, you can use the "pacman" command (Arch Linux's, on which Manjaro is based on, package manager) that I wrote in my previous post. For more info, you can enter "man pacman" in the terminal to open the manual for the pacman command.

Great, thanks for the tip!
Did the update to manjaro-arm 20.10 now, earphones no longer work (no sound via youtube) and it loses itsconnection to the wireless network more often than before.

Could be more.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using too much juice since last update Eugo 20 3,652 03-15-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  recent update Uturn 14 1,879 02-13-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Latest update Eugo 21 8,321 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,401 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 29,368 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen
  How to disable automatic update checks bdicewk 4 2,350 06-12-2022, 08:10 AM
Last Post: bdicewk
  Can't install software via Discover or Terminal Kimberley van Buyten 2 1,562 06-10-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  Locked out after update bnbcwllc 2 1,602 06-08-2022, 04:46 AM
Last Post: bnbcwllc
  fldigi software? drspastic 1 1,323 05-14-2022, 11:32 AM
Last Post: programmin
  Keyboard case stopped working on pacman update rotwang 5 3,158 05-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: rotwang