No phone calls in Manjaro Pinephone
Hi!

About 4 days ago, I received my new ME Pinphone and I'm very happy with it!
I've been playing with it and it looks awesome! But today, I installed a SIM card, which I bought for the Pinephone. The PP asks me the PIN and unlocks it, but I am not able to call or send SMS and I don't know what can it be... Any ideas??

I tried the SIM card with my other phone and it works correctly, but with the PinePhone I do not see any phone coverage, and I tried to activate the mobile data and it does nothing...

As said by @kern707 the uname -r gives me the following:
5.9.1-9-MANJARO-ARM

All the help will be appreceiated! Thanks very much!

EDIT 2: I bought 2 Pinephone, one for a colleague of mine. So, I tried to install SIM in this Pinephone and it works without any issue!! The only difference between both pinephones is that mine was updated, when I type uname -r in the other pinephone the response was: 5.9.1-4-MANJARO-ARM. it is possible that the problem had been the update?

I will try to reinstall the image of the Pinephone to get mine to 5.9.1-4-MANJARO-ARM.
I think I have the same problem , it's just that the pinephone can't find any network when the signal is relatively "weak", my pinephone only allows calls/sms when outside of my house...
(11-12-2020, 04:52 PM)gimy16 Wrote: Hi!

I've been playing with it and it looks awesome! But today, I installed a SIM card, which I bought for the Pinephone. The PP asks me the PIN and unlocks it, but I am not able to call or send SMS and I don't know what can it be... Any ideas??

I tried the SIM card with my other phone and it works correctly, but with the PinePhone I do not see any phone coverage, and I tried to activate the mobile data and it does nothing...

I am by no means a PinePhone expert (not quite yet), but I think that you can do a simple step that might help someone to identify the problem.

Can you please:

1. Open the "Terminal" application on your PinePhone

2. Execute the following command to output the version of your installed kernel:  
Code:
uname -r

3. Copy and paste the output to your post.

Maybe it will help to know which kernel is installed, to make the bug fixes, or to guide you to a solution? I hope it helps a bit
(11-13-2020, 01:21 AM)kern707 Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 04:52 PM)gimy16 Wrote: Hi!

I am by no means a PinePhone expert (not quite yet), but I think that you can do a simple step that might help someone to identify the problem.

Can you please:

1. Open the "Terminal" application on your PinePhone

2. Execute the following command to output the version of your installed kernel:  
Code:
uname -r

3. Copy and paste the output to your post.

Maybe it will help to know which kernel is installed, to make the bug fixes, or to guide you to a solution? I hope it helps a bit
Thanks a lot! I will do that! Now I don't have my Pinephone with me, as soon as I reach home I will update the post with that!
With latest manjaro-arm 5.9.1-9-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 the SIM card gets detected, I can make calls, but upon incoming calls it takes an eternity until the PinePhone rings.
In both ways the sound is very low.

Also, when listening to music with the headphone hooked to the jack I must use alsamixer to get an normal volume. This effect suddenly gets lost for no obvious reason.
(11-13-2020, 09:35 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: With latest manjaro-arm 5.9.1-9-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 the SIM card gets detected, I can make calls, but upon incoming calls it takes an eternity until the PinePhone rings.
In both ways the sound is very low.

Also, when listening to music with the headphone hooked to the jack I must use alsamixer to get an normal volume. This effect suddenly gets lost for no obvious reason.

Incoming calls do:

1. wake up modem
2. establish WiFi
3. establish mobile connection

Sometimes establishing WiFi lasts 10 seconds or more. For an incoming call this time is lost. It would be WAY better if the phone wakes up mobile connection first. A lot of calls could be recived then. I posted this also in Manjaro - no answer.

Seems to be that not very much people use the PP seriously but only as an linux gadget. Not for phone calls
I do not understand why WiFi should get enabled when an incoming call is pending?
It might even be that outdoors there is no WiFi connection possible.
(11-14-2020, 08:51 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: I do not understand why WiFi should get enabled when an incoming call is pending?
It might even be that outdoors there is no WiFi connection possible.

This is an interesting question, does the modem really need to init (or try to) wifi before handing a normal incoming call ? it does not make any sense, unless it is a VoIP call.
Same issue here. My PinePhone with an AT&T SIM card is not able to make or receive calls or SMS messages. The SIM is registered, and there are 3 bars that show cellular strength with AT&T. Running uname -r from the terminal gives me "5.9.1". I would just like to make and receive calls and text please. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.
What's your source for that being the order of events on receiving a call? Have you been following a trace, or just observing that the phone wakes, then you see a wifi symbol appear, then the phone eventually starts ringing? I suspect what's happening is that the modem wakes the sleeping CPU, which goes through the same resume-from-suspend process as it would if the power button was pressed. This includes NetworkManager reconnecting Wifi, and ModemManager talking with the modem. As the modem often drops off the USB bus at this point, before reappearing as another device (modem number in ModemManager increments each time this happens) it can take a while before modemmanager finds out there's a call ringing. ModemManager then sends the dbus signal which the Calls app receives, pops up and starts the ring tone. I'm speculating based on how things have worked on earlier linux phones, so if you've got a more recent source I'd be interested.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  systemic issue pinephone penguins_rule 1 150 03-22-2024, 06:06 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  link for supported pinephone os manjharo et all penguins_rule 2 115 03-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  New phone, KDE desktop settings reset on reboot zzb0 2 1,647 10-15-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 496 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  How to create folders and re-org my phone desktop? A better "Image Viewer" app? nbh 0 465 09-24-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Calls/Texts and External Monitor gregb49 0 605 06-30-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,065 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,421 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  new PinePhone upgrade issue WhiteHexagon 5 1,613 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 716 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish