Quest for the perfect phone.
Love the look of the phone and will probably end up getting one.  However I do have a few things that past phones did that would make it even better.

The main thing is two stereo speakers right on the front rather than on the back. My OG Nexus 6 has that with one at either end of the screen and it's much better than having it on the back.  I know I can use HDMI / audio jack for that and it'll sound better but if I'm using the phone on the go and showing a video to a friend of mine it is kind of a large issue.

The second idea is a little trickier and more of a software thing.  My Atrix 4G had this thing called Webtop which when you plugged it in opened a full Linux installation.  I know the phone IS Linux but it did a few neat tricks.  The main one though was it let you use the phone as a trackpad/keyboard for the larger screen https://youtu.be/G8-92J9hfkA?t=56 I thought that was the very definition of a "killer feature" that no other phone had at the time, and that no phone as far as I know has anymore.  Google bought it for the IP and then sold it to Lenovo, neither really doing anything with it.  I know it's more of a software thing than a hardware one though (although I'm not sure about the TX capability of HDMI) and I could just use a Bluetooth keyboard.

As far as the kill switches those are awesome, but one has to take the back panel off to access them.  My idea is for an option to have a back with a cut out access door that is either fitted to the switch controller or has a protective case with a sliding door over it which would protect it when not in use (especially since if a protective case is thrown on it, then you have to remove the case AND the back cover to access the switches at that point.  I don't know if there are any case options available for it yet, but obviously it's good to plan ahead.

I just like throwing ideas out there.  I'd make a post for each individual issue but I don't want to clutter up the board.
You should not forget that PinePhone is not usable as a real phone but intended as a Linux gadget. Angel
I am very aware.  I am assuming though that the end goal is to have something usable by the general public (if they want.)

They probably wont want it though.  The phone doesn't have the best battery life, the fastest processor, the most user friendly interface, the best call quality.  Most end users will probably go with Samsung or Apple or any of the other manufacturers out there.

What the phone does have going for it though is pure Linux, being as open as possible, and privacy.  At least if any software does spy on us it'll be the software we install ourselves.  Not the phone manufacturers and not the carrier's bloatware they force the phone manufacturers to add on.

My point is that it seems like the best device for what I want, even if it isn't the best device.  No one is ever going to make exactly what I would like and I doubt I'll ever be able to commission such an endeavor.  I'd probably have to start my own company and go through the same headaches as Pine64, so many thanks to them for going through the effort.

The most I can do is nudge things in the direction that I'd like to see them go and hope for the best.  Because I'd like to see them have a great device with some killer features that no other phone manufacturer is doing right now.  One of those are the privacy kill switches on the back.

I hear the phone had/has some issues on T-Mobile.  I'm considering switching carriers just so it'll work, even if it isn't perfect or takes some effort.

I'm also not in a huge hurry though.  Even if my battery is slowly dying (2014 phone, it was a good run) I can stick a battery pack on it and just use it that way for the time being when it finally does completely fail.  So I can wait for something more stable too.  However it's also cheap enough that I don't really have to care, though yes, in the end I suppose I would like it to actually work too.

Sorry I wrote a novel to your one line comment. I'm still very excited about the project.
The phone has the problem that You cannot "phone" with it :-(

Receiving calls is greatly unreliable up to non functional. As log You can even not "phone" with the phone the phone is as a phone unusable.....

I am am greaty disappointed that after months of work on it not even basic functions work . I have no problem that functions like GPS or BT need time to realize. But I expected that I can make and receive phone calls after nearly a half year of development.

Maybe the project does never give us the PP as a phone .... but a little linux machine or gadget for the enthusiasts
(11-12-2020, 04:36 AM)Scary Guy Wrote: it let you use the phone as a trackpad/keyboard for the larger screen https://youtu.be/G8-92J9hfkA?t=56 I thought that was the very definition of a "killer feature" that no other phone had at the time, and that no phone as far as I know has anymore

You might like Librem 5 smartphone: the trackpad feature is already there; the keyboard part is being developed I believe.
https://social.librem.one/@agx/105049629853506933

(11-12-2020, 04:36 AM)Scary Guy Wrote: As far as the kill switches those are awesome, but one has to take the back panel off to access them.  My idea is for an option to have a back with a cut out access door that is either fitted to the switch controller or has a protective case with a sliding door over it which would protect it when not in use

Librem 5 is constructed in a better way: killswitches are outside and easily achievable.
https://puri.sm/posts/the-smartphone-wit...d-control/.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 1,192 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,979 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 908 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 1,073 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,703 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 722 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 700 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,153 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,371 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777
  new to pine phone and struggling neverdimed 8 2,806 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: neverdimed