3GB/32GB mainboard troubleshooting advice
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some troubleshooting tips.  I just installed the new 3GB/32GB mainboard and have installed the new JumpDrive 0.6 image.

When I try to power it up I get no response at all.   No backlight, no led, nothing.  If I plug it into the computer I do get a unknown usb device but thats all.

I have reinstalled the original board and it works fine.

Looking for any tips or troubleshooting advice.

Thanks,

Walt
Hello Walt,

To clarify, did you:
  • Flash the newest Jumpdrive image to a microSD card
  • Insert the microSD card
  • Install the battery
The new mainboard may have no operating system (or test image) installed, which means it will fail to "power on" unless a bootable image is installed to the inserted microSD card or the eMMC.
(11-11-2020, 10:50 AM)jed Wrote: Hello Walt,

To clarify, did you:
  • Flash the newest Jumpdrive image to a microSD card
  • Insert the microSD card
  • Install the battery
The new mainboard may have no operating system (or test image) installed, which means it will fail to "power on" unless a bootable image is installed to the inserted microSD card or the eMMC.

Hi jed,

Yes those are the exact steps.

I did assume the board had at least a base test image on it.  Since the board may not have anything and it may be normal to not "power on" without a valid OS.  I will validate the SD card with the jump drive image is okay.

Thank you!
@retlaw Good to know.

If your microSD card has been successfully flashed with JumpDrive, booting will be all but instantaneous. Then you can use dd or bmap to install your image of choice.

As an aside, which operating system are you using? I believe Windows can be problematic, but I've had no problems on GNU/Linux.
In case it wasn't clear, the 'newest JumpDrive' part is important - the older versions don't support the 3G board and won't boot, which has caught some people out.
(11-11-2020, 05:25 PM)wibble Wrote: In case it wasn't clear, the 'newest JumpDrive' part is important - the older versions don't support the 3G board and won't boot, which has caught some people out.

I am using the latest JumpDrive Version I can find (JumpDrive 0.6 released this 4 days ago).
I am burning to a 32 GB micro SD Card on Windows using Etcher.

I reinstalled the original motherboard and found I did have an issue with the JumpDrive SD Card.
I re-flashed the JumpDrive put the battery in on the old motherboard and everything worked as expected.  LEDs flashed and the JumpDrive Screen came on (I did not actually hook up the usb to the computer)

I then reinstalled the new 3/32 GB board, put the validated JumpDrive SD Card in, installed the battery turned on the system and nothing.  No LEDS, no screen, nothing.

I was now convinced that I had a bad motherboard.  I fiddled around for a while with connections etc still nothing.  Just for the heck of it I plugged in the USB connection to the computer and all of a sudden it came to life.  LEDS, Jumpscreen etc.  I just worked.  

I was able to flash the disk.  I unplugged the phone from the computer and it still had the jumpdrive screen.  I removed the battery and reinstalled it with the jumpdrive disk still in and it did nothing.  Again I plugged in the usb and it came to life.  I could then unplug the phone and it would still run.

What I believe is happening is that my battery was low.  It was more than enough for the old mother board to boot, but I believe the new one at startup requires more charge.

While I had plugged it into the usb previously, at that time my JumpDrive disk was bad so still no LEDs, screen or anything.

For others, make sure you get the latest jump drive and test it on the original motherboard before you do the swap, make sure your battery is fully charged and if you still don't see anything try to plug it into the usb with the known good jumpdrive image.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.
(11-12-2020, 06:08 AM)retlaw Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 05:25 PM)wibble Wrote: In case it wasn't clear, the 'newest JumpDrive' part is important - the older versions don't support the 3G board and won't boot, which has caught some people out.

I am using the latest JumpDrive Version I can find (JumpDrive 0.6 released this 4 days ago).
I am burning to a 32 GB micro SD Card on Windows using Etcher.

I reinstalled the original motherboard and found I did have an issue with the JumpDrive SD Card.
I re-flashed the JumpDrive put the battery in on the old motherboard and everything worked as expected.  LEDs flashed and the JumpDrive Screen came on (I did not actually hook up the usb to the computer)

I then reinstalled the new 3/32 GB board, put the validated JumpDrive SD Card in, installed the battery turned on the system and nothing.  No LEDS, no screen, nothing.

I was now convinced that I had a bad motherboard.  I fiddled around for a while with connections etc still nothing.  Just for the heck of it I plugged in the USB connection to the computer and all of a sudden it came to life.  LEDS, Jumpscreen etc.  I just worked.  

I was able to flash the disk.  I unplugged the phone from the computer and it still had the jumpdrive screen.  I removed the battery and reinstalled it with the jumpdrive disk still in and it did nothing.  Again I plugged in the usb and it came to life.  I could then unplug the phone and it would still run.

What I believe is happening is that my battery was low.  It was more than enough for the old mother board to boot, but I believe the new one at startup requires more charge.

While I had plugged it into the usb previously, at that time my JumpDrive disk was bad so still no LEDs, screen or anything.

For others, make sure you get the latest jump drive and test it on the original motherboard before you do the swap, make sure your battery is fully charged and if you still don't see anything try to plug it into the usb with the known good jumpdrive image.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.
I had exactly the same problem. Solved with this
Hey there, same for me and I am going to try what's described here.
Which image should I install (stable and ready for OTA updates)?

But before that, one other thing:

The camera modules did not come with the board. In the manual and installation video, the camera modules seem to come with the new board and they're not mentioned anywhere. I would just take the camera module from the old board, but since it's not mentioned in the manual, I don't know how to detach the cables. Is it the same mechanism as the LCD digitizer and the cable on the top of the board?

Thank you for your answers
I got it running, too. Smile 

I got some questions left:

1. I'm not sure if that was already the case before disassembling the phone. When I open the camera, it's fine (slow and mirrored as known). But when I switch to the selfie cam, the screen turns completely green and then goes back to main cam. Is that normal behavior right now or might I have done something wrong (like cable not right fitted)?

2. One of the screws (the middle one of the top three) doesn't hold any more. Did you have any issues with the screws afterwards?

Thanks for your answers!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red LED when trying to boot from SD card. Need advice. サーバント 5 4,065 10-20-2021, 09:40 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Connection woes, modem troubleshooting within Bewilderforce 0 1,299 10-06-2021, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Bewilderforce
  3/32 upgrade board, Arrived Without Firmware, Troubleshooting Steps to SOLVED biketool 0 1,678 06-22-2021, 10:03 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Mainboard replacement does not boot/charge boarf 2 2,703 05-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: boarf
  Pinephone mainboard v1.2 documentation update? scholbert 1 2,569 01-18-2021, 09:01 PM
Last Post: bokomaru
  Any mainboard revisions past 1.2b, upcoming KDE release/etc tgz 2 2,917 01-09-2021, 12:03 PM
Last Post: tgz
  Pinephone Mainboard Replacement Issues Stringbean 15 12,496 12-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Stringbean
  Build own smartphone based on PinePhone64 mainboard and its components? docomodo 3 3,498 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM
Last Post: hcal
Question Approximate leadtime for when the 3GB/32GB mainboard is back in stock? NormandC 2 3,023 12-15-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: NormandC
  Pine phone version 1.2b standard mainboard ? bcnaz 2 3,525 11-21-2020, 06:40 PM
Last Post: bcnaz