Before I buy... is PinePhone actually open source?
(11-14-2020, 03:10 AM)fsflover Wrote: [quote='JuniperFury' pid='83294' dateline='1605328067']

>Can you link me to the modem isolation discussion?

You should be able to find details here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone or here: https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/modem-pp...-pinephone.

>So most mobile network modems are blackboxes? Is there any way to reverse engineer them or hobble together my own 3G modem for private use?

AFAK no, but see here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11815.

(11-11-2020, 06:29 PM)wibble Wrote: I'm not aware of a legal one that isn't a black box - between corporate intellectual property policies and regulatory dislike for unlicensed people being able to change transmit characteristics it's an uphill battle. It's a similar situation for WiFi chipsets - most of them have an embedded processor with closed firmware too, and sometimes they have security issues. The FCC were sufficiently worried about the possibility of OpenWRT users using bands or transmit powers not allowed in their country that they considered mandating firmware signing for wifi access points. Wider awareness of SDR is probably a nightmare scenario for them.

It may be possible with SDR - I'm not sure what the current state of projects like OpenBTS is - but outside controlled environments it will be illegal in most jurisdictions, and impractical for a mobile phone - have a look at the size and power consumption of the transmit-capable SDR stuff.

Interesting. Never heard of OpenBTS, looks pretty cool. Also interesting not many know about SDR.

(11-15-2020, 11:07 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: There are reverse engineering efforts for Qualcomm and Quectel modems underway.
We will see how far they advance...

Can you point me in the direction of these efforts?

And thank you all for your time.

We're going to likely get a few PinePhones as they don't have a 6 month lead time like the Librem's. Since the modem is soldered in, we'll just keep this off with the kill switch and use an external modem like before. I can foresee scenarios where having an internal unused modem and dormant SIM/IMSI available as a backup option to activate deadmans or whatever need be before a disposal which could be useful if we detect external modem targeting or compromise.

I've been off the internet for quite some time. Can anyone recommend good courses or moocs that would help me dive in to everything I need to develop the PinePhone as well? Courses without much theory or history that would allow me to start working and customising the device for different scenarios would be great. I am guessing I need basics of electrical engineering because those schematics looked like extraterrestrial hieroglyphics ^_^. GSM Stack and I guess C++ for the linux os?

Anything on policy design and policy writing fundamentals would also be useful. As I'm curious how the FCC and other relevant institutions in the telecom industry come together and make their decisions that become law and regulation. I am guessing when the FCC makes decisions it influences internationally as well? So it would be good to understand how this leviathan functions and influences in a cross-border multi-national context.

Thank you all again for your hospitality.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Before I buy... is PinePhone actually open source? - by JuniperFury - 11-23-2020, 12:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 299 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 198 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 469 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 107,954 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,714 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 571 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,254 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 471 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,633 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,850 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma