How to tell which version of Manjaro / Phosh is installed?
Question 
Hello everybody,

I was wondering, how I can check which version of Manjaro / Posh is installed on my PinePhone ?

I was looking for it in the "About" app, but other than a version number (which I believe belongs to the kernel?) I couldn't find much.

Is there any terminal command for this?

Thanks in advanced  Big Grin
I guess not many people know the answer! Or they just can't be bothered to reply...

After searching the web I've tried:

Code:
cat /etc/*release

and

Code:
cat /usr/share/gnome/*version.xml

All they tell me is that it's Manjaro ARM Linux with a Gnome version number and that the distributor is Arch Linux. Undecided

There's no mention of Phosh, Plasma, Lomiri, anywhere. I suppose we could look for screenshots or videos to try and tell from the look and feel but I don't have time for that right now. I mean, I know mine's not running Plasma because that would look like KDE and presumably not have Gnome stuff, but it would be nice to see "Phosh" in writing somewhere to confirm what desktop environment it is.
You could check which of the known desktop environment packages are installed and/or similarly check for running processes belonging to one of them.
So for example on Mobian you could do
Code:
apt list --installed *phosh*
and see that there are a bunch of related packages installed whereas the same with *lomiri* would return nothing. On Manjaro you would have to do that with pacman, not sure about the exact command to list installed packages right now.

For running processes check
Code:
ps aux | grep phosh
or whatever DE you want to check for, but the output might look a bit cluttered on the phone screen due to the limited space.
Use pacman in Manjaro (and any other Arch-based distros) with the -Qi flag to QUERY information for an INSTALLED package. Example for phosh below (not sure if that's the actual package name).
Code:
pacman -Qi phosh
(11-10-2020, 12:23 PM)ThrillGates Wrote: Use pacman in Manjaro (and any other Arch-based distros) with the -Qi flag to QUERY information for an INSTALLED package. Example for phosh below (not sure if that's the actual package name).
Code:
pacman -Qi phosh

Thanks @ThrillGates, My daily driver on my desktop / laptop is a Debian based distro, so i'd need to learn some new tricks  Wink

I confirm that this command worked for me on my PinePhone that is running Manjaro, using the terminal,

The output included a detailed description showing that Phosh is indeed installed, and also the version and some other details about the package.

I also found out that I could use the same command that I am using on Debian based linux distros, and it shows me the distro name and release, the command is "lsb_release -a"

** So to sum up this thread with the solutions that worked for me:

1. Terminal command for finding out the Distro type and Release:
Code:
lsb_release -a
  - OR: Get the Distro name and kernel version -
Code:
uname -a

2. Terminal command for checking if Phosh is installed (thank you ThrillGates):
Code:
pacman -Qi phosh
(can be possibly be used to check if another phone shell is installed, just change the package name from "phosh" to the package name of your desired phone shell)

I hope it helps somebody  Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 589 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,491 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,602 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 807 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,748 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
  Backup and Home Screen Tinkering on Phosh jakfish 0 858 02-24-2023, 12:56 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 1,023 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,869 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
  Manjaro Plasma busted Chief 2 1,574 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Chief
  MMS workaround for users with separate APN (works atleast on Manjaro Phosh) alaraajavamma 0 1,065 10-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma