PinePhone won't boot
(11-15-2020, 09:20 AM)amadeusp81 Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 10:36 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: I got the image from https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...ta2.img.xz
copied to sdcard using dd and upgraded afterwards with no problem.

I tried this image too and had the same issues as with the other images I tried so far.
There must me some funny glitch at a secret corner which IMHO can best be found if you start from scratch and exactly follow these steps:

a) Download mobian image from https://images.mobian-project.org/pineph...113.img.gz
b) Unpack that image and make sure there is no error message about corrupt data.
c) Copy the unpacked image to the card using dd with appropriate of=/dev/sdX for the card.
d) Run fsck -f /dev/sdX2 for the main partition of the card. Should be ok without errors.
e) Remove battery from phone, insert the card, assemble all and start the phone.
f) Cross your fingers, look to the sky and then to the phone Wink

It will take some time for the first boot. If after 5 minutes you do not get the unlock screen, it might be necessary to restart the phone, but afterwards all should work as expected.
I am happy to report that after laying next to me for quite some time and booting in a loop it finally booted normal. I was playing around with it now for over an hour, updated all components and even rebooted a couple of times. I even made my first call from the PinePhone!

The only slightly "sour aftertaste" I have now is that I don't know what actually caused the initial issues I encountered. But right now the joy in actually holding a Linux phone in my hands is bigger than that. Smile

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really look forward to see this platform mature. <3
(11-15-2020, 11:08 AM)amadeusp81 Wrote: I am happy to report that after laying next to me for quite some time and booting in a loop it finally booted normal. I was playing around with it now for over an hour, updated all components and even rebooted a couple of times. I even made my first call from the PinePhone!

The only slightly "sour aftertaste" I have now is that I don't know what actually caused the initial issues I encountered. But right now the joy in actually holding a Linux phone in my hands is bigger than that. Smile

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really look forward to see this platform mature. <3
What image?
I received my Manjaro convergence PinePhone about a week ago.
It started OK.
But since I was not utterly satisfied with it, I wanted to try Mobian/Phosh OS.
I then flashed a 32 GB microSD card with mobian-pinephone-phosh-20201113.img.
After installing the card above the SIM card, I tried to boot and it did not.
The green LED lighted up for about 3 second and then, nothing. The phone was dead.
To flash the card I tried dd, Gnome-Disk and Etcher. No success.
Without the SD card, it boots alright on Manjaro (eMMC) after a red LED light for about 3 seconds.
Any suggestion on what to try please to be able to boot from a microSD card on Mobian?
On another thread someone found it worked when the USB cable was plugged in but not on battery. Their guess was that the new board is more sensitive to low battery than the old one, but i think that's still unverified. Might be worth a try though. If you really want to see what's going on in the boot process you can use the serial terminal:
https://bloggerbust.ca/post/my-first-exp...l-console/
(11-20-2020, 01:57 PM)jp46 Wrote: I received my Manjaro convergence PinePhone about a week ago.
It started OK.
But since I was not utterly satisfied with it, I wan ted to try Mobian/Phosh OS.
I then flashed a 32 GB microSD card with mobian-pinephone-phosh-20201113.img.
After installing the card above the SIM card, I tried to boot and it did not.
The green LED lighted up for about 3 second and then, nothing. The phone was dead.
To flash the card I tried dd, Gnome-Disk and Etcher. No success.
Without the SD card, it boots alright on Manjaro (eMMC) after a red LED light for about 3 seconds.
Any suggestion on what to try please to be able to boot from a microSD card on Mobian?

Strange,  Etcher has always worked for me.  Though I have only used it from a Linux operating system,
  I have heard some forum members have a problem using Etcher on Windows or Mac.

Also do not extract the image,  Etcher does this automatically itself...

While the Manjaro operating system is not one I personally prefer,
    the Manjaro edition phone runs both the Mobian and Arch operating systems very well.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,088 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,601 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma