Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian
(02-11-2021, 11:01 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 08:48 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 04:05 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:54 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:29 AM)kqlnut Wrote: What's the proper way to update Axolotl once you have it installed? "git pull", "go get -u", and then rebuild with the last two steps from the installation tutorial? I don't know how go works, but it would be cool to know how to update the app including the dependencies without redoing the whole procedure.

That is a good question. I usually rename the ~/home/go folder, since it is only used for Axolotl in my case and then redo every step - which is awfully inconvenient.

But I will dig into it later!

Cheers
I did update just now by going into the axolotl folder, running "git pull", "go get -u" and then rebuilding with the last two steps in your instructions. The app runs fine and shows the updated version. But I'm not sure if I correctly updated the dependencies with these steps ... Updates for stuff like textsecure v1.2.13 showed up, but I don't know if that's enough to have it all in the right place.

The update works with
Code:
go get -d -u

followed by all other steps. It takes round about two minutes to update. Comfortable.

I wrote an experimental install script, which should be able to update:

https://github.com/nuehm-arno/axolotl-mobian-installer

Please have a look and try it, if you like. And feel free to give me some feedback.
Great, thank you very much! In your script, every step is run regardless if it's an update or a new installation. Not sure if it would take a long time again to redo the whole npm part? Maybe do a quick and dirty check first if the build folder is present (so if Axolotl has been built before and thus npm has been installed) or check more thoroughly for the prerequisites and then only run the neccessary steps.

Good ideas, thanks.

There will be a v1.3 of the script soon with some pre-checking and stop-on-fail parts.
(02-11-2021, 08:48 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 04:05 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:54 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:29 AM)kqlnut Wrote: What's the proper way to update Axolotl once you have it installed? "git pull", "go get -u", and then rebuild with the last two steps from the installation tutorial? I don't know how go works, but it would be cool to know how to update the app including the dependencies without redoing the whole procedure.

That is a good question. I usually rename the ~/home/go folder, since it is only used for Axolotl in my case and then redo every step - which is awfully inconvenient.

But I will dig into it later!

Cheers
I did update just now by going into the axolotl folder, running "git pull", "go get -u" and then rebuilding with the last two steps in your instructions. The app runs fine and shows the updated version. But I'm not sure if I correctly updated the dependencies with these steps ... Updates for stuff like textsecure v1.2.13 showed up, but I don't know if that's enough to have it all in the right place.

The update works with
Code:
go get -d -u

followed by all other steps. It takes round about two minutes to update. Comfortable.

Please have a look and try it, if you like. And feel free to give me some feedback.

I had an odd situation where I was no longer receiving messages (but contacts were receiving mine). I decided to give your install script a go.

Works great!

It installed successfully, had some npm error msgs but fixed them using the suggested npm audit fix and after all was said and done, I now am receiving Signal messages again!

So thank you for streamlining into a nice, easy to run script. Smile
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

(02-11-2021, 08:48 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: ...

I tried it. And I am too dumb to debug the error Blush

Code:
$ sh axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh: 8: Syntax error: newline unexpected
chris@duklapp:~/bin$ chmod +x axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
chris@duklapp:~/bin$ sh axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
chris@duklapp:~/bin$ ./axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
./axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
./axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh: line 7: `<!DOCTYPE html>'

ps - have 0.9.5 running OK, was hoping to get to 0.9.8
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-12-2021, 04:35 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 08:48 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: ...

I tried it. And I am too dumb to debug the error Blush

Code:
$ sh axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
chris@duklapp:~/bin$ chmod +x axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
chris@duklapp:~/bin$ sh axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
chris@duklapp:~/bin$ ./axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh
./axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
./axolotl_mobian_installer_1-3.sh: line 7: `<!DOCTYPE html>'

ps - have 0.9.5 running OK, was hoping to get to 0.9.8

The "<!DOCTYPE html>" is a dead giveaway, it looks like you downloaded the website, not the shell script. Wink Try downloading the source tarball from releases or the raw text of the shell script.
(02-13-2021, 03:11 AM)marcih Wrote: ...

The "<!DOCTYPE html>" is a dead giveaway, it looks like you downloaded the website, not the shell script. Wink Try downloading the source tarball from releases or the raw text of the shell script.

I need a bigger rock to hide under Blush Blush Blush  (I was checking the script on GitHub to try debug rather than the garbage I had downloaded!  Blush Blush Blush )

I am now on 0.9.8 Smile

Running the script (about 10 mins) I did get a couple of other message to update other stuff but am insecure where I need to be to run the identified update commands:

Code:
Run `npm audit` for details.
npm notice
npm notice New patch version of npm available! 7.5.2 -> 7.5.4
npm notice Changelog: https://github.com/npm/cli/releases/tag/v7.5.4
npm notice Run npm install -g npm@7.5.4 to update!
npm notice
Rebuilding of npm-sass...

and

Code:
> axolotl-web@0.1.0 build
> vue-cli-service build

⠦  Building for production...Browserslist: caniuse-lite is outdated. Please run:
npx browserslist@latest --update-db
⠹  Building for production...

Many thanks again for the tolerance of this idiot Big Grin Big Grin
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Glad to hear, that the script is doing its job. Thanks for the feedback!
I have successfully built an arm64 deb package for Axolotl on Mobian

https://github.com/nuehm-arno/axolotl-mobian-package

Please feel free to test it and give me some feedback, if you like.

There are special instructions in the readme on how to remove old installations of Axolotl made with the Mobian Installer.
(02-25-2021, 06:22 AM)arno_nuem Wrote: https://github.com/nuehm-arno/axolotl-mobian-package

That was easy! And it incrased my available disk space from 2.4 to 3.3 GB.

Thank you!
(02-25-2021, 09:16 AM)Anna Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 06:22 AM)arno_nuem Wrote: https://github.com/nuehm-arno/axolotl-mobian-package

That was easy! And it incrased my available disk space from 2.4 to 3.3 GB.

Thank you!

Good news for you: Installation size is now down to ~36MB with package 0.9.8-2.
Big thank you for making this program!

I have been using it for the last couple of days and in my oppinion it works fine. Im sending messages to numbers on Signal, my friends are finding me as a Signal user automatically, the UI is simplistic and clean. Only thing I would ask for is the possibility to make and recieve calls which I am sure is already a WIP.

Just one question, how do I go about updating to newer versions when released?

Once again, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,512 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,710 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,686 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,861 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM