I don't like heart rate sensors.
I don't like 'em and I don't trust 'em.

I used to have a pebble watch and I wore that thing for years! Best watch I ever had, I was disappointed when the company got sold, support slowly dwindled and now it's just over.. Last year, I got a Fosil hybrid which was nice-looking, but I just don't want that flashing green light on my skin all day. Every smart watch has that "feature" now and it can't even be turned off! On top of that, you have to agree to the companies collecting and selling your biometric data to unknown entities, maybe they're even selling it to THE BEAST. Who knows?! So, hopefully the pine time could fill the void Pebble left behind. Let us buy a model without the heart-rate monitor, or be able to switch it off and have a bit more control over our privacy, if that's still even a thing.  Big Grin
Not just selling it, using it for "contact tracing". The day is coming when you get imprisoned for accidentally being in the wrong place at the wrong time without correct permission ("vaccine").
(11-05-2020, 06:21 PM)11Eleven Wrote: Let us buy a model without the heart-rate monitor, or be able to switch it off and have a bit more control over our privacy, if that's still even a thing.  Big Grin

The point of PineTime is that the hardware is well documented and the software is user modifiable so you should already be able to do all of these things.

Depending on your degree of concern about the sensor you can:

1. Buy a dev kit, physically unplug or remove the sensor and glue the back on yourself
2. Pick one (or more) of the PineTime operating systems and disable or rip out the code that runs the sensor. For example if you adopted wasp-os then disabling is a one line change (and ripping it out isn't that much harder)
3. Review the existing code to run the heart rate sensor and decide if it already meets your privacy concerns. Again using wasp-os as an example the heart rate monitor is only ever active when the heart application is running (e.g. when you can see the graph of your heart activity on the screen). All the heart rate monitoring code is written in python so you don't need lots of embedded C experience to understand it. This is the code that disables the sensor when you switch to another screen: https://github.com/daniel-thompson/wasp-...py#L33-L35 .
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(11-05-2020, 08:34 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Not just selling it, using it for "contact tracing".  The day is coming when you get imprisoned for accidentally being in the wrong place at the wrong time without correct permission ("vaccine").

Let's refrain from ridiculous conspiracy theories.
(11-22-2020, 04:35 PM)Avamander Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 08:34 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Not just selling it, using it for "contact tracing".  The day is coming when you get imprisoned for accidentally being in the wrong place at the wrong time without correct permission ("vaccine").

Communist China would like a word.
(11-22-2020, 04:35 PM)Avamander Wrote:

It's only ridiculous if you don't like it.  It's only a conspiracy if there is a conspiracy.  It's only a theory if it isn't true.  You say it won't happen, I say it will.  What shall we wager?  Mind you, I'm not sure that the vaccine will be the pass.  But a lot of other people seem to think so.
This forum isn't a haven for political,religious etc discussions

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heart Rate and Accelerometer, ESP32, Arduino pinetimer 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: pinetimer
  Updating sensors notification kbm 2 1,846 04-30-2022, 11:41 AM
Last Post: kbm
  bogus heart rate values samjam 1 2,124 08-23-2021, 09:13 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Blood pressure estimation from heart rate sensor wibble 8 11,024 10-15-2020, 05:41 AM
Last Post: evilbunny