Companion apps
Hey guys, I have had my pinetime a few weeks now and after a few hiccups and great suggestions from certain people I have got the watch working ok except from the time and date, does anyone know of an companion apps that would let me set the date and time on the watch through IOS I have tried a few and they all don’t seem to either find the pinetime or it just says it couldn’t find any Bluetooth signals. A few suggestions would be great guys thanks
It looks like currently, nRF Connect is the best option. Though a companion app is in development.
(11-05-2020, 07:52 AM)tophneal Wrote: It looks like currently, nRF Connect is the best option. Though a companion app is in development.
I don’t even think you can set the time and date in nRF connect, if you can I don’t have a clue how to do it
(11-05-2020, 09:45 AM)Markdanni123 Wrote: I don’t even think you can set the time and date in nRF connect, if you can I don’t have a clue how to do it

Well crap. You can't.

According to the wiki Da Fit should work.
(11-05-2020, 09:51 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 09:45 AM)Markdanni123 Wrote: I don’t even think you can set the time and date in nRF connect, if you can I don’t have a clue how to do it

Well crap. You can't.

According to the wiki Da Fit should work.
i will one day master this spectacular art, cheers anyway dude Smile  i will just wait for the app, hope its not to far away i just want to be in the here and now, not stuck on january the 1st 1970 everyday, its like groundhog day
The fact that iOS development is such an expensive walled garden to enter, I'm not sure you'll see an iOS companion app unless you manage to find someone willing to write one.
(11-22-2020, 04:34 PM)Avamander Wrote: The fact that iOS development is such an expensive walled garden to enter, I'm not sure you'll see an iOS companion app unless you manage to find someone willing to write one.
Yeah I doubt I will dude, I think I will have to just put the watch aside and just that Bangle J’s from the pi hut, it seems so much easier than waiting for something to happen that will probably not, you have been a massive help again man thanks Smile
nRF Connect for Android can set the time using the GATT feature I believe,  if the software in the watch supports it.  nRF Connect for IOS does not have this feature last I heard.  There is an IOS app called GATTBrowser that might do it, but I have not tested it.

Hugh
(12-07-2020, 12:34 PM)VMMainFrame Wrote: nRF Connect for Android can set the time using the GATT feature I believe,  if the software in the watch supports it.  nRF Connect for IOS does not have this feature last I heard.  There is an IOS app called GATTBrowser that might do it, but I have not tested it.

Hugh

I have tested GATTBrowser and it can set the time on the watch from iOS, but you have to do part of the work.  I don't have an iPhone but I do have an iPod so I downloaded GATTBrowser and tested it.  It is impressive, it can read a lot of information from the watch, and can set some of the info, including the date and time.  However it does not have an option to take the current date and time from the phone and send it to the watch, or if it does I could not find it.  You have to build the date and time string yourself.  The string is in hex and consists of nine bytes, 2 bytes for the year and one byte for each of the month, day, hour, minute, second, tenths and hundredths.  The year has the bytes reversed.  So 2020 in hex is 07E4, you send e407.  To send December 8, 2020, 13:50 you create the string 0xe4070c080d32000000 in the "write" field and then hit the Write button.

Hugh
One possible method could be emulating some existing smartwatch's protocol. But that would take special firmware (support).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Which companion apps work best for flashing firmware and pairing/syncing w/ Pinetime? danimations 0 1,458 03-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: danimations
  iOS Companion App in super-duper alpha! xan-m 4 2,840 09-07-2021, 04:12 PM
Last Post: xan-m
  How are apps managed on PineTime? atleastitried 2 3,732 05-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Last Post: VMMainFrame
  PineTime smartwatch - a Linux Phone companion Luke 35 63,820 10-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Last Post: zer0sig