3 Day Old Manjaro Convergence Edition 4 Sale
(11-04-2020, 08:09 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: Hello,
I just received my pinephone, but it doesn't work with T-Mobile, I'm not switching carriers for it, so I'm selling it. I have put a Verizon SIM Card in the phone and it shows bars. Granted the SIM isn't activated so not sure how the phone behaves with an active SIM in it. If anyone want to give me what I paid for it $225.00, I can ship it out this Saturday US only please, just DM me.
This is so so so depressing and upsetting. The simple fact Pine64 can't get their act together, is sad to me. I wanted a linux phone so bad. I wrote and raved and was ok with it not being a fully working phone and a project in progress, but this is unforgivable to me. Especially when I had a PMOS edition that worked with a T-Mobile SIM. I hate to be the whiner or complainer, but when you have previous edition working and the following edition doesn't. This doesn't only hurt the life of a linux phone, but as a first time buyer of any Pine64 product I honestly won't purchase anything from them, they might be a great company but all trust is lost for me.
I would like to say I'd buy the next edition, but I won't. I won't spend another $225.00, wait for a month, to then maybe receive a phone that might work with my carrier it's a crap shoot.
This may seem simple, but have you opened the case to check for loose wires? Several people have had their phone come with the antenna cable not physically connected. If so, did you try the PMOS factory test build? It can help you sort out if you actually have a hardware problem. Otherwise try a different OS, such as Mobian. Most of the other builds, including Manjaro, are not quite ready and have modem issues or otherwise.
(11-05-2020, 08:18 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: @NobodyNew1 

Quote:This is so so so depressing and upsetting. The simple fact Pine64 can't get their act together, is sad to me. I wanted a linux phone so bad. I wrote and raved and was ok with it not being a fully working phone and a project in progress, but this is unforgivable to me.
Be careful with such harsh words!!!

You might get shaken to death by a gang of unlimited addicts of this phone or patronized by a mod...
I am by no no no way saying anything about the hard work of the dev and the team behind these OS's as far as I'm concerned they are the one making this project and the community that has the skills to work with this phone. My beef is with the Pine64 isn't. Especially, when I ask if there is a way to exchange the phone, and they simply tell me to submit another ticket.
The only thing I know to do now, if I can't get Pine64 to exchange the phone is to attempt to flash the firmware of the modem other than that, I gave Pine64 $200.00 for nothing and if that's the case I rather have given it to one of the dev's for their hard work.

(11-05-2020, 08:31 AM)tophneal Wrote: @NobodyNew1  Please ignore the troll post above. They like to play the victim after they stirred up a bunch of ire against themselves, amongst many users. Not because of a displeasure with Pine64, but because of their demeanor within the community. You're more than welcome to express any displeasure with the phone.

There are users invested in the hardware that may provide counter points, but through respectful discourse, this can bring attention to new issues and potential solutions.

Good luck with your sale, I'm sure it won't take too long for someone to purchase it from you.
I've read about flashing the modems firmware. I installed the PMOS factory test. Testing the modem through that, shows both the Verizon and T-Mobile SIM Card. But if I run the test on the modem a 2nd time that's when doesn't show the T-Mobile SIM Card again, it just gets stuck and says "Waiting On Modem . . . . ". So, if I can find a dummy proof way to flash the modems firmware maybe just maybe that will fix it.
Have you tried jumping into the #pinephone chat yet?
(11-05-2020, 09:58 AM)threepwood Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 06:21 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:19 AM)b4thed4wn Wrote:
I just received my pinephone, but it doesn't work with T-Mobile, I'm not switching carriers for it, so I'm selling it. I have put a Verizon SIM Card in the phone and it shows bars. Granted the SIM isn't activated so not sure how the phone behaves with an active SIM in it. If anyone want to give me what I paid for it $225.00, I can ship it out this Saturday US only please, just DM me.
This is so so so depressing and upsetting. The simple fact Pine64 can't get their act together, is sad to me. I wanted a linux phone so bad. I wrote and raved and was ok with it not being a fully working phone and a project in progress, but this is unforgivable to me. Especially when I had a PMOS edition that worked with a T-Mobile SIM. I hate to be the whiner or complainer, but when you have previous edition working and the following edition doesn't. This doesn't only hurt the life of a linux phone, but as a first time buyer of any Pine64 product I honestly won't purchase anything from them, they might be a great company but all trust is lost for me.
I would like to say I'd buy the next edition, but I won't. I won't spend another $225.00, wait for a month, to then maybe receive a phone that might work with my carrier it's a crap shoot.
You do know that pine64 don't make the software?
If pmOS worked before, have you reached out to the Devs and asked if it will be fixed in a future realese?
I know they don't make the software, but isn't this a hardware issue, when the PMOS edition, flashed with mobian, arch, and manjaro works with a T-Mobile SIM Card, but yet this Manjaro edition, no matter what it is flashed to doesn't work with T-Mobile ? I've flashed the phone with the previous OS's and tried to boot them also all from a SD and still nothing.
I'm new to this so maybe I am missing something, but to me at this point, it's as if I bought a locked phone to another carrier, so I have a useless phone unless I want to switch carriers.
I just don't understand 4 months ago I buy the same phone and works with T-Mobile and now today the same phone, but simply shipped with another OS on it doesn't work with a carrier.

Do I understand you correctly that you have tested the exact same OS image on PMOS, and Manjaro edition, and it does only work on one of them? In that case I guess it could be a hardware issue, but I guess it could also be a hardware change, that the software needs to be aware of.

Have you tried the modem firmware-upgrade from this thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11815

Personally I am still patiently awaiting the day when I can trust the Pinephone to fully replace my old phone. But I am optimistic, there have been a lot of software improvement since I first got my BH-edition.
I previous had a PMOS edition and my little nephew wanted it to tinker with, he's a smart kid. So, I gave that one to him, but that phone worked with T-Mobile no issue.
So, I decided to buy another one and that is this current Manjaro edition. I've tried multiple OS's flashed to the eMMC and on a SD Card and none of them work with a T-Mobile SIM, all work with the Verizon SIM.
I just ran the PMOS factory test and both SIM's showed up in the modem test. The funny thing is, if I run the modem test a 2nd time with the T-Mobile SIM it doesn't read it, I just get "Waiting On Modem. . . . . .." So, you just read my mind by posting the modem firmware upgrade / flash. Which I'll read now, I just hope it's dummy proof.
If the firmware upgrade doesn't work then I have no idea what my next steps should be.

(11-05-2020, 05:50 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
This may seem simple, but have you opened the case to check for loose wires? Several people have had their phone come with the antenna cable not physically connected. If so, did you try the PMOS factory test build? It can help you sort out if you actually have a hardware problem. Otherwise try a different OS, such as Mobian. Most of the other builds, including Manjaro, are not quite ready and have modem issues or otherwise.
I've thought of that, but if it seems to have no problem with the Verizon SIM Card, then I don't think it would be a loose wire. I'm narrowing down to the modem.

(11-05-2020, 08:16 PM)tophneal Wrote: Have you tried jumping into the #pinephone chat yet?
No, I haven't. I'll jump in there if need be. I'm thinking to try and learn to flash the modem firmware, IF I can figure it out.

(11-05-2020, 09:58 AM)threepwood Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 06:21 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:19 AM)b4thed4wn Wrote:
You do know that pine64 don't make the software?
If pmOS worked before, have you reached out to the Devs and asked if it will be fixed in a future realese?
I know they don't make the software, but isn't this a hardware issue, when the PMOS edition, flashed with mobian, arch, and manjaro works with a T-Mobile SIM Card, but yet this Manjaro edition, no matter what it is flashed to doesn't work with T-Mobile ? I've flashed the phone with the previous OS's and tried to boot them also all from a SD and still nothing.
I'm new to this so maybe I am missing something, but to me at this point, it's as if I bought a locked phone to another carrier, so I have a useless phone unless I want to switch carriers.
I just don't understand 4 months ago I buy the same phone and works with T-Mobile and now today the same phone, but simply shipped with another OS on it doesn't work with a carrier.

Do I understand you correctly that you have tested the exact same OS image on PMOS, and Manjaro edition, and it does only work on one of them? In that case I guess it could be a hardware issue, but I guess it could also be a hardware change, that the software needs to be aware of.

Have you tried the modem firmware-upgrade from this thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11815

Personally I am still patiently awaiting the day when I can trust the Pinephone to fully replace my old phone. But I am optimistic, there have been a lot of software improvement since I first got my BH-edition.
There is no way, I have the ability to flash the firmware. I'd like to but I don't know where to begin, that is way over my head to be honest with you.
Just to narrow it down further - how old is your t-mobile sim card? Others have had to replace their sim card if it isn't fairly new, because of all the network changes as of late. It would be cheap to check that with one of the free trial sims from Mint or US Mobile and others.

And check to see if you physically have a cell signal wirh anorher device. Because, t-mobile has changed a lot, band and tower wise, post Sprint and 5g push.
(11-05-2020, 10:55 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Just to narrow it down further - how old is your t-mobile sim card? Others have had to replace their sim card if it isn't fairly new, because of all the network changes as of late. It would be cheap to check that with one of the free trial sims from Mint or US Mobile and others.

And check to see if you physically have a cell signal wirh anorher device. Because, t-mobile has changed a lot, band and tower wise, post Sprint and 5g push.
I just replaced the SIM day before yesterday, because of this issue. It wasn't the SIM or is it . . . . . . . . .
(11-06-2020, 05:16 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 10:55 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Just to narrow it down further - how old is your t-mobile sim card? Others have had to replace their sim card if it isn't fairly new, because of all the network changes as of late. It would be cheap to check that with one of the free trial sims from Mint or US Mobile and others.

I just replaced the SIM day before yesterday, because of this issue. It wasn't the SIM or is it . . . . . . . . .
If your verizon sim works, and two t-mobile sims do not, it's not the sims nor the hardware. It's the network. T-mobile has been making changes. That includes removing towers and bands in certain areas to accomodate 5g. You really should try some free trial or cheap sims with different networks.
If PMOS is flashed to the eMMC the outcome is txt working, phone calls can come in, calls can go out, BUT I can't hear a call going out or can anyone hear me when a call is answered nor can I hear them.
So, as of now the only OS that seems to work with T-Mobile is PMOS or at least for my phone. I'm going to put random OS's on an SD card and see it the phone still works or works better. Then I think over the weekend, I'll flash every OS onto the phone and see if PMOS is the only one that works or semi-works with T-Mobile.
So, this might not be a hardware issue at all it all might be a T-Mobile issue + OS's, the only thing that is disturbing now is the hearing making and receiving phone calls.

(11-06-2020, 05:31 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

If your verizon sim works, and two t-mobile sims do not, it's not the sims nor the hardware. It's the network. T-mobile has been making changes. That includes removing towers and bands in certain areas to accomodate 5g. You really should try some free trial or cheap sims with different networks.
What's your thoughts on my post above this one or below it,.
(11-06-2020, 05:40 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: If PMOS is flashed to the eMMC the outcome is txt working, phone calls can come in, calls can go out, BUT I can't hear a call going out or can anyone hear me when a call is answered nor can I hear them.
So, as of now the only OS that seems to work with T-Mobile is PMOS or at least for my phone. I'm going to put random OS's on an SD card and see it the phone still works or works better. Then I think over the weekend, I'll flash every OS onto the phone and see if PMOS is the only one that works or semi-works with T-Mobile.
So, this might not be a hardware issue at all it all might be a T-Mobile issue + OS's, the only thing that is disturbing now is the hearing making and receiving phone calls.

So, your sim does see the network. I was under the impression it didn't. The call audio issue  is known. The only OS I think has that solved is Mobian, and arch for a while. But do keep in mind, the various builds are alpha or beta at most. Things got broken recently to fix other things. Give it a little time for the Dev's to fix the fixes. Mobian for instance is undergoing a big update that will change a lot.

There is a thirteen-in-one OS build in the forums. You can try most of the available builds on one SD with it.
(11-06-2020, 06:07 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 05:40 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: If PMOS is flashed to the eMMC the outcome is txt working, phone calls can come in, calls can go out, BUT I can't hear a call going out or can anyone hear me when a call is answered nor can I hear them.

So, your sim does see the network. I was under the impression it didn't. The call audio issue  is known. The only OS I think has that solved is Mobian, and arch for a while. But do keep in mind, the various builds are alpha or beta at most. Things got broken recently to fix other things. Give it a little time for the Dev's to fix the fixes. Mobian for instance is undergoing a big update that will change a lot.

There is a thirteen-in-one OS build in the forums. You can try most of the available builds on one SD with it.
The only OS that sees the ( T-Mobile ) cell network is PMOS, nothing else on a SD Card and the factory installed Manjaro didn't either, nor did Mobian or Arch ( Flashed eMMC ).
I'll search for the 13 OS's and see if I can find it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,722 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,638 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  box86 Actually Works Well on Manjaro Phosh/xfce jakfish 0 624 07-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,385 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone for sale in Europe tiho 7 5,413 10-19-2022, 05:35 AM
Last Post: peatord
  Tow-boot on Pinephone beta edition saddamus 10 5,327 09-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Last Post: saddamus
Rainbow New Pinephone for sale, Beta w Convergence Package megst 0 742 07-26-2022, 11:40 AM
Last Post: megst
  Manjaro phosh no screen rotation sandspur 1 1,315 06-23-2022, 01:02 AM
Last Post: rapp
  WTS: (Rarely used) Pinephone Beta Edition with Convergence Package - DHL shipping vatin 3 1,964 05-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: vatin
  Selling Pinephone PostmarketOS Convergence Edition pentamassiv 0 1,062 03-22-2022, 06:33 PM
Last Post: pentamassiv