PSA: Transition in progress - don't update !
(11-10-2020, 07:00 PM)deedend Wrote: But if I install a Mobian nightly today, keeping it updated with APT is the same as re-flashing it with a new version? Is it possible to migrate from Nightly to "stable" afterwards without a complete re-flash?

I am also wondering about this. If I flash a nightly will my repos also be the nightly ones? I'd like to be able to install the nightly build via apt as opposed to having to reflash each time.

After flashing the nightly my repo is
Code:
http://repo.mobian-project-.org/ mobian main non-free

so I wasn't sure if I need to add a new repo and then switch over to it.
(11-10-2020, 07:00 PM)deedend Wrote: But if I install a Mobian nightly today, keeping it updated with APT is the same as re-flashing it with a new version? Is it possible to migrate from Nightly to "stable" afterwards without a complete re-flash?

There is, so far, no particular concept of "stable" in Mobian. Technically Mobian is based on Debian Bullseye, but the PinePhone/ARM/phone stuff may be slightly beyong bleeding edge but not much!

There are occasional "reference" releases (the last was 20201005).

In theory starting with any nightly and update/upgrade will get you to the latest nightly. In practice that is not so as new stuff is being added and fundamental work is going on, so the update/upgrade path is not always smooth. viz this thread itself, or the recent addition of Rhythmbox to the package.

For me
  • I accept the PinePhone experience is probably closer to alpha than beta in terms of software.
  • I install a new nightly every few weeks
  • I update/upgrade most days
  • I am happy as a pig in sh1* to have nothing from a FAANGS or even Micro$oft on my phone/pocket computer
YMMV
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
PSA: Transition in progress - don't update !
On my install (with few apps installed beyond the base system) I managed to run apt full-upgrade earlier after removing the gnome-authenticator package, which was throwing dpkg errors due to a python-* dependency.

All's working for me Smile
Flashed yesterday's nightly image.
Everything seems to work as it used to except for any web browser.
Opening any web browser (web, firefox, midori) will not display any webpage. Instead the view area is invisible and you will see whatever other app you had previously opened (still running) or the wallpaper.

Is this a known issue?
(11-11-2020, 04:56 PM)antiX-Dave Wrote: Flashed yesterday's nightly image.
Everything seems to work as it used to except for any web browser.
Opening any web browser (web, firefox, midori) will not display any webpage. Instead the view area is invisible and you will see whatever other app you had previously opened (still running) or the wallpaper.

Is this a known issue?

I am running 20201110 with no problems with Firefox-ESR.

Not related to your question but general comment - totem/Videos just hard hangs the phone ever since 20201104 for me. mpv works fine.

As per @"jed"  my few applications that go on top of base Mobian every time are mpv, openssh-server, liferea, evolution and preload.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
FYI, I'm pushing a few other potentially breaking changes before the weekend. Upgrading from a recent (>= 20201104) nightly might or might not be painful, but not to the point it was with the kernel transition.

I'll make sure to post a notice here when it's done so you can test and hopefully declare one of the next nightlies new "reference" release.

(11-11-2020, 02:03 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: There is, so far, no particular concept of "stable" in Mobian. Technically Mobian is based on Debian Bullseye, but the PinePhone/ARM/phone stuff may be slightly beyong bleeding edge but not much!
My current plan is to stick with the bullseye freeze agenda, meaning Mobian should enter transition freeze (and therefore be free from breaking changes) during January 2021, and be declared stable with the bullseye release. Still a lot to do before we get there, but it sounds feasible.

Thanks for your understanding.
I observed that, on my phone, UI works much better with dark mode enabled (Adwaita-dark).
Also after the night of sleeping first call does not have audio whatsoever.

@a-wai - thanks for your work. I don't know how you do it guys but Mobian is way ahead of any other distro I tried.
Things are settling down, so I'm declaring this transition over Smile

Please reflash the new reference release, it should all be fine now.
More details in https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12167
(11-15-2020, 10:24 AM)mmclia-wai Wrote: Things are settling down, so I'm declaring this transition over Smile

Please reflash the new reference release, it should all be fine now.
More details in https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12167
Ran apt-get update/upgrade 30 minutes ago. Sound works, phone works, SMS works. Wakeup from a 15 minute deep sleep worked, at least the first time, no cell data on boot (or any other time).
The modem index is still changing on wakeup

mmcli -m 3 --command='AT+CFUN=? returns the expected CFUNC (0,1,4),(0,1)

All of the following returned an empty response.
mmcli -m 3 --command='AT+CFUN=1,1'
mmcli -m 3 --command='AT+CFUN=1'
mmcli -m any --command='AT+CFUN=1,1'

However, after the above commands there is a new device in nmcli: cdc-wdm0 of type gsm that shows as disconnected. I have not figured out how to change the state of cdc-wdm0, yet Smile 
nmcli device connect device  cdc_wdm0
returns unknown error
nmcli c up  cdc_wdm0
returns unknown error refer to journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION.... NM_DEVICE
journalctl xe Modemmanager [401] and [462] couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14) "Call failed"

I see since I did an apt-upgrade I'm deemed unsupportable but are these issues, specifically gnome-calls not waking up and no cellular data fixed in the "supported" post Nov 12 images? Especially since mobile data before the modem suspends works without configuration in the Arch image.

TIA
LF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,905 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,030 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,999 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,757 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,496 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Loving latest Mobian Update drh 11 4,777 08-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: biketool
  apt-get update "The following signatures were invalid..." grump_fiddle_reinstall 13 7,907 08-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Eugo