Opinions wanted : "Best out of the Box" OS at this time
Mmmm I'm on 10th of November nightly, but I'm upgrading daily (apt-get dist-upgrade): which functionalities are broken?
Tongue 
Thank you for the warning,  I have been doing more testing. WIFI and Bluetooth off at the software level. Mobian apt updated to last nightWhen USB is connected screen suspend is flaky, When the screen does not suspend properly gnome-calls responds 100% of the time.  There is no mobile data at any time, even immediately after boot

Test is an incoming call any time after the phone enters suspend after 5 minutes. The time slept appears to make no difference.

100% of the time the phone wakes up,  (pick-a-number < 100% hours running) gnome-calls will present a UI to answer.
My best pick-a-number is over 18 hours.My worst? Less than six minutes Sad Min time to sleep is 5 min.

Problem re-occurs 100% after the first time. so, the click VOIP phone on desktop, wait for the phone to wake, immediately login, but gnome-calls is not up. Manually opening gnome-calls results in a  red bar stating modem not available. The network provider is configured to forward to a remote on failure, and as soon as that happens, gnome-calls changes and says the modem is fine and available. So, after the phone wakes up, between light the screen and start gnome-calls the process goes sideways, sometimes. Tongue

The following is quote from a person who was middle aged (40?) when I was young. Which was a long time ago, lol

> The bad thing about hardware is that it sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't.

> The good thing about software is that it's consistent: it always does not work, and it always does not work in exactly the same way.

Thanks to all who contribute

HTH

LF
(11-11-2020, 10:57 AM)Lousy Fisherman Wrote: Dare I hope? Mobian October 5th, apt-get update/upgrade November 10, 2300UTC.

In 18 hours the phone has woken up perfectly every time and sound works very well. There is less than 15 seconds between the call initiation and the phone waking up. I have not booted since right after the update, I have tested sleep periods of 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 8.5 hours. USB connected or not makes no difference. Power notifications and information is much more reliable. All notifications are much more reliable. All SMS messages are received, the notification sound is very faint.

The one compromise? Turn WIFI off! I do not know why, but when sleeping and a call comes in the phone feels the need to open WIFI first. This delay is often (usually?) enough to cause a missed call.

If testing continues like this I have a daily driver!!!
Very impressive thank you

YMMV
LF

(11-11-2020, 11:55 PM)Lousy Fisherman Wrote: Thank you for the warning,  I have been doing more testing. WIFI and Bluetooth off at the software level. Mobian apt updated to last nightWhen USB is connected screen suspend is flaky, When the screen does not suspend properly gnome-calls responds 100% of the time.  There is no mobile data at any time, even immediately after boot

Test is an incoming call any time after the phone enters suspend after 5 minutes. The time slept appears to make no difference.

100% of the time the phone wakes up,  (pick-a-number < 100% hours running) gnome-calls will present a UI to answer.
My best pick-a-number is over 18 hours.My worst? Less than six minutes Sad Min time to sleep is 5 min.

Problem re-occurs 100% after the first time. so, the click VOIP phone on desktop, wait for the phone to wake, immediately login, but gnome-calls is not up. Manually opening gnome-calls results in a  red bar stating modem not available. The network provider is configured to forward to a remote on failure, and as soon as that happens, gnome-calls changes and says the modem is fine and available. So, after the phone wakes up, between light the screen and start gnome-calls the process goes sideways, sometimes. Tongue

The following is quote from a person who was middle aged (40?) when I was young. Which was a long time ago, lol

> The bad thing about hardware is that it sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't.

> The good thing about software is that it's consistent: it always does not work, and it always does not work in exactly the same way.

Thanks to all who contribute

HTH

LF

Hi LF, I believe I'm currently looking for a similar setup as yours. We're prepared to buy a few PinePhones as long as we can get VoIP working in some manner. We don't want to use the internal quectel card but will connect to the internet via wifi or other possible means that I may be unaware of (not bluetooth as its not secure). Just wanted to double check that you're currently using Mobian and what app for VOIP? Also what is your external PTSN telephone number provider? I've had great success with twilio and Zoiper app on android and ios but want to get away from closed source systems. Do you think I could still make Twilio work or do you recommend another provider?

Thank you
(11-23-2020, 03:19 AM)JuniperFury Wrote: Hi LF, I believe I'm currently looking for a similar setup as yours. We're prepared to buy a few PinePhones as long as we can get VoIP working in some manner. We don't want to use the internal quectel card but will connect to the internet via wifi or other possible means that I may be unaware of (not bluetooth as its not secure). Just wanted to double check that you're currently using Mobian and what app for VOIP? Also what is your external PTSN telephone number provider? I've had great success with twilio and Zoiper app on android and ios but want to get away from closed source systems. Do you think I could still make Twilio work or do you recommend another provider?

Thank you
Arch, Mobian and Manjaro are all functional. There are multiple VOIP apps in the repos. I built a custom version of Twinkle, but all of the apps should work.
Multiple PSTN providers, both telecom companies and SIP. What you get working is going to depend on how well you understand linux and the various systems you interact with.

Currently using Arch 2020112, pacman -Syu 2020-11-21,  as my one and only phone. See Arch thread for details

HTH
LF
(11-23-2020, 10:17 AM)Lousy Fisherman Wrote: Arch, Mobian and Manjaro are all functional. There are multiple VOIP apps in the repos. I built a custom version of Twinkle, but all of the apps should work.
Multiple PSTN providers, both telecom companies and SIP. What you get working is going to depend on how well you understand linux and the various systems you interact with.

Currently using Arch 2020112, pacman -Syu 2020-11-21,  as my one and only phone. See Arch thread for details

HTH
LF

Thank you for the info! Decided we'll definitely buy a few PinePhones and even some Rock64s.
@JuniperFury
If you purchase the Convergence Edition package phone, you can use the ethernet connection via the "Docking Bar" to connect to the internet
without using wifi, should you choose to do so.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-25-2020, 06:59 PM)bcnaz Wrote: @JuniperFury
If you purchase the Convergence Edition package phone, you can use the ethernet connection via the "Docking Bar" to connect to the internet
without using wifi,  should you choose to do so.

Very good to know! I'd rather not be forced to use wifi all the time. Will absolutely get the docking bar.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: (Clickable) Call Graph for Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System lupyuen 0 1,059 03-04-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Video: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone lupyuen 0 1,230 02-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,522 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel
  Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted! kop316 201 180,395 03-24-2022, 03:16 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  First time pine phone user Matt73 3 2,377 03-10-2022, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Matt73
  Response time generaluser 0 1,079 10-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Last Post: generaluser