Please publish a proper flash-able IMG
I've seen this question asked a million times but seemingly never in a thread of its own.

Would someone be able to generate a proper flash-able Sailfish IMG that doesnt require use of the flash-it script?

Flash it only works on native Linux hosts (i.e under a VM or container it will attempt to unmount the drive thus releasing the controllers shared access with the guest and cause the script to fail) ruling out anyone who is looking to flash on Mac or Windows without a complete script rewrite.

Plenty of people want to give Sailfish a spin but are left out in the cold by this so how's about we just start generating self contained images rather than multi-step scripts that are prone to failure?

The script just creates more headaches than it addresses.  

Thanks.
(10-29-2020, 07:05 AM)patrickjquinn Wrote: I've seen this question asked a million times but seemingly never in a thread of its own.

Would someone be able to generate a proper flash-able Sailfish IMG that doesnt require use of the flash-it script?

Flash it only works on native Linux hosts (i.e under a VM or container it will attempt to unmount the drive thus releasing the controllers shared access with the guest and cause the script to fail) ruling out anyone who is looking to flash on Mac or Windows without a complete script rewrite.

Plenty of people want to give Sailfish a spin but are left out in the cold by this so how's about we just start generating self contained images rather than multi-step scripts that are prone to failure?

Thanks.

Maybe someone with a linux box generate an 8G flashable image for you?
(10-29-2020, 03:53 PM)RodneyMyers Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 07:05 AM)patrickjquinn Wrote: I've seen this question asked a million times but seemingly never in a thread of its own.

Thanks.

Maybe someone with a linux box generate an 8G flashable image for you?

That would be great but realistically, more generally speaking SF is the only PP distribution that doesn't provide a bog standard img to make testing more straight forward. Even if the script output a img rather than expecting to flash direct to device or SD, this would be enough. I might look into changing the script to do this.
@patrickjquinn - I have created repo.

You can download image from --> https://gitlab.com/as400l/pp-sailfishos-images
(10-30-2020, 06:38 AM)as400 Wrote: @patrickjquinn - I have created repo.

Excellent stuff, exactly what I was hoping for Smile thank you very much, nice to have a clear way to get SF running!
If there are more people feeling such thing as repo with images is needed I can maintain such a repo.

Just let me know.

I feel like SailfishOS is really worth propagating and spreading the word about it.
It's by far the best, in terms of ease of use and feel, mobile OS I have ever worked with.

I don't have my PP yet and I'm using it on my Sony Xperia XA2 but loving it.
(10-30-2020, 11:33 AM)as400 Wrote: If there are more people feeling such thing as repo with images is needed I can maintain such a repo.

Just let me know.

I feel like SailfishOS is really worth propagating and spreading the word about it.
It's by far the best, in terms of ease of use and feel, mobile OS I have ever worked with.

I don't have my PP yet and I'm using it on my Sony Xperia XA2 but loving it.

Just as a note, the image works perfectly. I've been a Sailfish user for a good long while. Had an original Jolla phone, bought a Gemini PDA to use SF as work phone for emails etc and maintained the Nexus S port for a time over on XDA so I share your love of the OS. 

I'll hopefully contribute some packages specific to the pinephone (some scripts too expand the fs to fill the device / SD memory on first boot might be a start) now that i've got it up and running.

I think it's well worth keeping a maintained image up to date on that GL repo. Lukasz will probably link to it in the main distro wiki as he's been looking for a proper image for a while I believe. Smile
[quote pid='82043' dateline='1604053939']

Even if the script output a img rather than expecting to flash direct to device or SD, this would be enough. I might look into changing the script to do this.
[/quote]
The script can generate an .img. When it downloads and asks where to flash (/dev/?) just type raw and it writes sdcard.img to that folder. It is true that this is not indicated.
(10-30-2020, 06:38 AM)as400 Wrote: @patrickjquinn - I have created repo.

Fantastic, thank you!
With this image I was able to test Sailfish and I must say that it looks clean and polished.
Will yet need testing the calls, SMS and power consumption.
Any other user reports?
Calls & SMS work for me. Power consumption is not on par with others though. BT doesn't work. I have read reports that email-program doesn't work after upgrading anymore.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flash-it.sh script currently unable to create a SailfishOS image acrux 3 3,464 07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Last Post: OhneZ