Pinebook pro crashing when put to sleep?? [Manjaro]
What is happening: trying to put pinebook pro to sleep results in complete death of the laptop. Power light goes off, screen goes off and it absolutely refuses to come back alive. I have to hold the power button for 7 seconds, and turn it back on to get to to work. Otherwise it absolutely refuses to show any signs of life.

What I tried: removing swap file completely

Started happening since I ran the updates through software updater. Before that it was working fine for a good week since I first got the laptop.

Given I am a beginner at linux, I am not even sure how to begin to debug something like that. Any help would be appreciated.
Me too, the new kernel, for s3 is no good
install downgrade, as root/sudo ,,,, downgrade linux
(10-28-2020, 01:06 PM)wdt Wrote: Me too, the new kernel, for s3 is no good
install downgrade, as root/sudo ,,,, downgrade linux
uh... how do I do that, exactly? 
Sorry I'm a noob at linux, I feel like I'm 5 years old here... of you have instructions on how to do that exactly please send them my way Smile

also check out my sister thread on reddit about this issue: https://old.reddit.com/r/pine64/comments...p_manjaro/

the guy just said that trying to downgrade resulted in a laptop that can't even boot to begin with.....
downgrade is a package, install like any other package,, then
sudo downgrade linux,,, it gives a menu, choose version, answer if you want it "pinned"
It may be in arch, not sure, so that repo should be enabled if downgrade not found

If you are using kde,, systemsettings5 for ->power management ->button handling checked,,
ignore lid close, pwr button ask
(10-29-2020, 12:05 PM)wdt Wrote: downgrade is a package, install like any other package,, then
sudo downgrade linux,,, it gives a menu, choose version, answer if you want it "pinned"
It may be in arch, not sure, so that repo should be enabled if downgrade not found

If you are using kde,, systemsettings5 for ->power management ->button handling checked,,
ignore lid close, pwr button ask
I'm sorry, these instructions weren't entirely clear, because I am still very very new to linux, especially manjaro... 

my deductions point me to reason that it is precisely last nights update that caused this crashing to occur, so I would like to try rolling that precise update back if that's what your last message was referring to
Do you not know how to install packages? On the bottom bar, to the right is a shield
When there are upgrades it is red, click on it, open package manager
control f (to find), type downgrade, click button to put a check on install, bottom right apply, password
OR,, you could install from terminal,,, sudo pacman -Sy downgrade
Then open a terminal, any will do,,, alt space, when box opens at top type konsole, enter
then,
sudo downgrade linux,,, a menu will appear, pick a number
Yes, the new kernel causes s3 to fail to wake
(10-29-2020, 07:43 PM)wdt Wrote: Do you not know how to install packages?  On the bottom bar, to the right is a shield
When there are upgrades it is red, click on it, open package manager
control f (to find), type  downgrade, click button to put a check on install, bottom right apply, password
OR,, you could install from terminal,,, sudo pacman -Sy downgrade
Then open a terminal, any will do,,, alt space, when box opens at top type konsole, enter
then,
sudo downgrade linux,,, a menu will appear, pick a number
Yes, the new kernel causes s3 to fail to wake
It only shows "Firmware (gnome-firmware) 3.36-0-2"
Is that the one I should choose?

also apparently "downgrade" is not identified by my console, says "command not found". gonna install the downgrade from package manager and try again now...
[update] nope, still says "downgrade: target not found" and "downgrade: command not found"

sorry if my question is borderline mentally handicapped because it's probably piece of cake for guys like you, but I'm still very very new to linux, as eager as I am to learn all about it.

thanks in advance Smile
OK, as I thought I remembered, it is from the arch distro, Manjaro is an offshoot of arch,,
usually they are binary compatible, you have to enable the arch repository
Bear with me I did this 8 months ago, forget,,...
Open the gui, package manager, top bar, right, hamburg button ->preferences -> AUR ->enable AUR

The name will be downgrade, version #,,,, nothing else, not even capitalized
If you like scripts, it's just a clever bash script, plain text, you can look at it
(10-29-2020, 09:19 PM)wdt Wrote: OK, as I thought I remembered, it is from the arch distro, Manjaro is an offshoot of arch,,
usually they are binary compatible, you have to enable the arch repository
Bear with me I did this 8 months ago, forget,,...
Open the gui, package manager, top bar, right, hamburg button ->preferences -> AUR ->enable AUR

The name will be downgrade, version #,,,, nothing else, not even capitalized
If you like scripts, it's just a clever bash script, plain text, you can look at it
UPDATE: seems to have solved the issue now

here's what I did, step by step: 

1) [alt+space], "add/remove software", software manager shows.
2) right below the "X" button at the top right, clicked the three lines -> "Preferences"
3) hit AUR tab, and enable AUR support
4) go back to software manager, search "downgrade". Pick the one with description "bash script for downgrading one or more packages..."
5) download and install it. When done, open a terminal (I used konsole) and type "sudo downgrade linux". Pick the version one before your current one (for me it was 5.8....)
6) proceed with the prompts when asked "yes/no"
7) sudo reboot now
8) sleep to idle seems to work again Smile

obviously I wouldn't have done it without you, wdt. Huge thanks for that Smile
Good, my impression, BTW is that 5.8 is not quite as good as previous versions,
let me know in couple days what you think (ie more battery drain/day)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 167 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,113 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,605 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,622 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX