Fedora 33 Workstation Upgrade
Just wanted to let everyone know that after installing Fedora 32 Workstation the upgrade to Fedora 33 Workstation went off without a hitch.

Gnome is version 3.38.

Memory usage in Fedora 32 hovered around 1.2G. In Fedora 33, memory usage hovers around 980M. The desktop is snappier and animations are smoother. CPU usage seems to be lower as well. Videos and Youtube run fine. I haven't tested anything above default settings for video playback, yet. I have lots of testing and playing to find all the changes.

Fedora 33 adds better support all around for Pine64 hardware. I didn't get a chance to really test Fedora 32 that much but it was a solid experience. I have it installed on emmc.

Fedora Magazine Article

In my opinion, Pinebook Pro went from tinker toy to a serious daily driver for me with Fedora. It really is solid. Software installation is a breeze with gnome store and RPMFusion is a nice equivalent to AUR. Also, dnf package manager is great. The documentation is superb for learning and getting things done as quickly and easily as possible.

This is my first experience with this distro and I'm really enjoying it.
I am wondering, 2 questions
Did you get your image from https://builds.armdevelopers.com/pineboo...eases/dev/ OR by the git install?
Just exactly how did you upgrade?
(10-29-2020, 12:35 PM)wdt Wrote: I am wondering, 2 questions
Did you get your image from https://builds.armdevelopers.com/pineboo...eases/dev/ OR by the git install?

I got it from the armdevelopers. After I installed 32, I researched on the Fedora sites how to perform an upgrade to 33. I have reverted back to 32 because things weren't working correctly and was having some issues. Suspend would totally freeze the system in gnome. I tried to install deepin desktop and panel kept crashing the system and locking it up. Also, there were some graphical degradations as well. I may have jumped the gun a bit on upgrading. Everything from the armdevelopers works much better.

I followed the instructions from here:

Fedora Version Upgrade
(10-29-2020, 05:29 PM)Upokupo Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 12:35 PM)wdt Wrote: I am wondering, 2 questions

I got it from the armdevelopers. After I installed 32, I researched on the Fedora sites how to perform an upgrade to 33. I have reverted back to 32 because things weren't working correctly and was having some issues. Suspend would totally freeze the system in gnome. I tried to install deepin desktop and panel kept crashing the system and locking it up. Also, there were some graphical degradations as well. I may have jumped the gun a bit on upgrading. Everything from the armdevelopers works much better.

I followed the instructions from here:

Fedora Version Upgrade
So you installed the workstation 32 (2.8GB compressed file) on the emmc or sd? And the upgraded version is very unstable? Did you have to increase the partition size somehow? I remember a previous fedora installation of mine constantly complaining about full storage although it was utilizing only 512 of my 32GB sd card.
Is there a tutorials of how to install to emmc?
And don't you find the fedora performance very slow?
I wrote up a tutorial on installing the deepin desktop environment using Fedora 32 Workstation image. I walk through on how to install Fedora onto a SD card and how to then get it onto emmc. I included instructions on how to resize the drive after you get it up and running on either sd or emmc.

Fedora Workstation Tutorial

If you are only interested in the default setup of the gnome desktop you can ignore the section on installing Deepin. Fedora 32 runs really well. If you are interested in playing around with 33 for testing and stuff, I'd upgrade on an sd card and leave emmc install at 32
@Upokupo
> bs=32M,,, for the emmc write
I am curious, I have a guess
Surely emmc are more slanted towards having an OS on them, so iops should be high
and erase blocks normal, for the many thousand files??
BTW I used xzcat, then realized that was with x86 cpu power
Now I did do some experimenting, well,, s3 disappeared, the uboot experiments did not go well
But when I first ran it (KDE ver) it had good s3, mrfix on emmc, it booted normally
My emmc uboot is blank(now), F32 will only boot from your uboot and samueldr , uboot on SD
The samueldr never did boot, (only a few tries) but I could see it was trying to
3 others gave no led, some hard lock, some hard pwr off (mrfix, pcm, 1912 manj)
So mrfixit from emmc would boot , but mrfix on SD would not, no led, I think pwr off lock, not sure

That, I certainly don't understand
Maybe like your usb interference, flaky boot???

I should explain,, no led, push a few times, no led,,, put good SD in, no led,,HOLD pwr down,
sometimes needs 8s, sometimes 20+s,, normal push, then led
Once you have led with a good SD, you don't have to let it go on, it will (get to sddm), just hard pwr off, 8s
It's alive again,,, then , what next?
Really all I want is good s3, because then, it is feasible to run off SD
It really needs a better package manager, I have an oddball suggestion,, well no...I'll spare you
(10-29-2020, 09:04 PM)wdt Wrote: @Upokupo
> bs=32M,,, for the emmc write
I am curious, I have a guess
Surely emmc are more slanted towards having an OS on them, so  iops should be high
and erase blocks normal, for the many thousand files??
BTW I used xzcat, then realized that was with x86 cpu power
Now I did do some experimenting, well,, s3 disappeared, the uboot experiments did not go well
But when I first ran it (KDE ver) it had good s3, mrfix on emmc, it booted normally
My emmc uboot is blank(now), F32 will only boot from your uboot and samueldr , uboot on SD
The samueldr never did boot, (only a few tries) but I could see it was trying to
3 others gave no led, some hard lock, some hard pwr off (mrfix, pcm, 1912 manj)
So mrfixit from emmc would boot , but mrfix on SD would not, no led, I think pwr off lock, not sure

That, I certainly don't understand
Maybe like your usb interference, flaky boot???

I should explain,, no led, push a few times, no led,,, put good SD in, no led,,HOLD pwr down,
sometimes needs 8s, sometimes 20+s,, normal push, then led
Once you have led with a good SD, you don't have to let it go on, it will (get to sddm), just hard pwr off, 8s
It's alive again,,, then , what next?
Really all I want is good s3, because then, it is feasible to run off SD
It really needs a better package manager, I have an oddball suggestion,, well no...I'll spare you
@wdt I'm sorry,  I'm not understanding your post. What is S3?

I'm guessing bugs in the boot up process for the usb issue.
I'm finding Fedora 32 responsive and as smooth as can be for now. It feels on par with what is being done with Manjaro.
s3,, sleep to ram, sometimes called suspend 3 or s2ram
I also upgraded to Fedora 33  following Fedora's Fedora's documentation . The upgrade itself proceeded without any problems, all very smooth.   I noticed some weird shutdown and startup behavior that I mentioned in another thread. Since that post I've been waiting to see if the situation improved as upgrades roll out.
The updates have improved  the situation a little, but weird shutdown behavior has continued.  On shutdown the green led light (power icon at left) will go off, leading me to believe the computer is turned off.  However, it turns out the system has not shut down.  I know this because the next day the system won't boot because the battery has been drained.  I have to connect the adapter to get it to boot.  If I hold down the power key after shutdown for 10 seconds or so the power light will blink red a few times and then stop.  At that point the system does seem to be really shut down because I will have battery power the next day.  
Power on has improved with the upgrades.  First the power light is steady red for 15 seconds or so, then turns green and the booting messages appear on the screen as one would expect.
Except for this, Fedora 33 is working fine.  I'm keeping things as they are for the time being just to see if further updating improves ithe situation or maybe I can figure out what the problem is and learn something new.  But unless someone is interested in this kind of troubleshooting, I can't recommend upgrading to Fedora 33 at the moment.  Fedora 32 worked really well.  If the Pine community comes out with a Fedora 33 image I'll probably install that, or eventually revert to Fedora 32.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,535 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 371 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Upgrade Fedora from 37 to 38? acruhl 2 823 07-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  upgrade problem trying4firstbass 1 732 11-28-2022, 01:44 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Fedora Workstation (36) on Pinebook Pro u974615 13 6,893 09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: u974615
  No audio on Pinebook Pro with Fedora? foobar 1 1,337 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: snorwood
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,388 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  setting up fedora from minimal install pine76 0 1,282 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pine76
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,379 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Sound stuttering on Manjaro gnome after latest kernel upgrade? pjsf 0 1,741 07-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Last Post: pjsf