Manjaro Community Edition Shipping thread
(11-10-2020, 12:47 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 05:21 PM)Stephen D Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 03:18 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: It may have come with postmarket on it, but it's got much better thermals. Has to be the Manjaro edition.
Good evening to you Sir.
My name is Stephen from Glasgow, Scotland.
I see you are a senior member of the community, hence my question.

I have just joined this evening,  having received my first pinephone, a Pine64 manjaro, Community Edition, delivered today.
Until now been using Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge.
But I want AWAY  from Google and its inturisive nature to my personal information/files,   that it has no right to.
So that is how I have arrived here!

I have turned to you for advice/suggestion as to good system to download on to phone.
I have done nothing except charge the battery.

Regarding my Samsung S7 /S7 edge:
I enjoy having photographs on/in the phone.
I have Whats App on the phone.
I use the phone for a personal emails (British Telecom one)
I use phone for messages.
I have got some Bank account Apps on.
I do like to have a radio facility available.

That is my basic starting point.
Is there a direction you could be as kind as to point me towards to setting the phone up, or some thread that can take dummies like me through these first stages.

In anticipation of your help/kindness, may I say thank you.
Good Luck.     Stephen
For most of what you want, I'd suggest Mobian. Functionally, it is most complete in my opinion. But, as OS preference is highly personal, i'd encourage you to try several of the distros, or most of them all at once in the 13-in-1 build. All are available under operating systems in the pine64 pinephone wiki. The wiki is the place to go to learn all about the pinephone and what to do with it. The link for it is at the top of this forum.

It's just my opinion, but I think several of the distros will be equal contenders soon as they adopt the megi 5.9 kernel. Visually, I really like Ubuntu Touch/Manjaro Lomiri but it's a little behind the others in functionality. I feel the same about Sailfish and Lune. What Mobian, Postmarket, and Manjaro have done with phosh is wonderful. The interface is very simple, although I still want to be able to swipe open apps away. Anbox also works for those banking apps, even though it's a little slow to start.

Thank you very much Sir, for giving me of your time and experience.
I will look at what you have suggested to me today.
Have a good day.
Hi — I've ordered the PinePhone on 28th of October, while the site still told the shipping would start early November. This may be a dumb question, but does that apply to my (late) order as well or are there any "separate" batches for those who ordered, for example, in September/early October? Would be great to know when to expect a shipping notice for this order. The order was to Ukraine, if that matters
Have folks in the US received their Manjaro PinePhones yet? I got a notification about 2 weeks ago for a shipment that appeared to go out a few days later. My last notice in tracking says that it was released from customs. That was a week ago, and appears to have been in Chicago O'Hare airport. A few days is pretty normal, but a week with no indication hat anyone has touched the package when it is ostensibly out of customs seems a little odd to me.

Just wondering if that is what anyone else is seeing, and if I should be concerned. I know tracking can be odd and I wouldn't be shocked if DHL sent me a text to confirm that I could take delivery without a signature, as it has for other battery-included shipments.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(11-11-2020, 08:44 AM)zer0sig Wrote: Have folks in the US received their Manjaro PinePhones yet? I got a notification about 2 weeks ago for a shipment that appeared to go out a few days later. My last notice in tracking says that it was released from customs. That was a week ago, and appears to have been in Chicago O'Hare airport. A few days is pretty normal, but a week with no indication hat anyone has touched the package when it is ostensibly out of customs seems a little odd to me.

Just wondering if that is what anyone else is seeing, and if I should be concerned. I know tracking can be odd and I wouldn't be shocked if DHL sent me a text to confirm that I could take delivery without a signature, as it has for other battery-included shipments.
Quite a few of us in the US have received theirs. I'd contact DHL.
Over-all I have been impressed with DHL's services.

That said, I do not like their recent NO signature policy. !

I found my latest delivery laying on my front porch... I had been listening for the courier to arrive.

But he apparently did not even knock on the door. I went outside to wait on the truck and found the package laying there.

DHL's web page says "I signed for the delivery" !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-11-2020, 08:44 AM)zer0sig Wrote: Have folks in the US received their Manjaro PinePhones yet? I got a notification about 2 weeks ago for a shipment that appeared to go out a few days later. My last notice in tracking says that it was released from customs. That was a week ago, and appears to have been in Chicago O'Hare airport. A few days is pretty normal, but a week with no indication hat anyone has touched the package when it is ostensibly out of customs seems a little odd to me.

I chose the standard shipping and haven't received any updates after it entered the JFK airport. The tracker says it's cleared customs and arrived at the destination airport as of the 5th, no updates since then. Hoping that just means it's been handed over to the USPS and the shipping company can't track it anymore, but I'm really not sure. Here's to hoping we both safely get out pinephones soon!
(11-11-2020, 05:04 PM)Himmalerin Wrote: I chose the standard shipping and haven't received any updates after it entered the JFK airport. The tracker says it's cleared customs and arrived at the destination airport as of the 5th, no updates since then. Hoping that just means it's been handed over to the USPS and the shipping company can't track it anymore, but I'm really not sure. Here's to hoping we both safely get out pinephones soon!

The tracker is updating again and it's moving through states so it looks like everything is fine! Guess it just got held up for a bit somewhere along the way.
(11-12-2020, 07:40 PM)Himmalerin Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 05:04 PM)Himmalerin Wrote: I chose the standard shipping and haven't received any updates after it entered the JFK airport. The tracker says it's cleared customs and arrived at the destination airport as of the 5th, no updates since then. Hoping that just means it's been handed over to the USPS and the shipping company can't track it anymore, but I'm really not sure.  Here's to hoping we both safely get out pinephones soon!

The tracker is updating again and it's moving through states so it looks like everything is fine! Guess it just got held up for a bit somewhere along the way.

Same story here. Maybe they are accidentally noting customs as being cleared when maybe customs is just getting it? Several quiet days would make sense then. Looking forward to getting mine, either tomorrow or Monday most likely.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(11-13-2020, 08:24 PM)zer0sig Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 05:04 PM)Himmalerin Wrote: I chose the standard shipping and haven't received any updates after it entered the JFK airport. The tracker says it's cleared customs and arrived at the destination airport as of the 5th, no updates since then. Hoping that just means it's been handed over to the USPS and the shipping company can't track it anymore, but I'm really not sure.  Here's to hoping we both safely get out pinephones soon!

Same story here. Maybe they are accidentally noting customs as being cleared when maybe customs is just getting it? Several quiet days would make sense then. Looking forward to getting mine, either tomorrow or Monday most likely.

(11-13-2020, 08:24 PM)zer0sig Wrote:

Same story here (actually, I think I picked courier shipping, but the order says PinePhone shipping, so there may have only been one method available?). Maybe they are accidentally noting customs as being cleared when maybe customs is just getting it? Several quiet days would make sense then. Looking forward to getting mine, either tomorrow or Monday most likely.

Should be interesting playing with this - I've had Android, iOS, WebOS and "dumb" phones, but never a proper Linux phone and never one with so many potential OS type options.

I think it is a manifest being sent ahead to customs on what to expect will arrive, and maybe that is what they are reporting.
I agree, that makes sense. I wasn't worried really, I've made several orders over the past 5 years and the shipping has always worked out reasonably, sometimes with some differences in the timing between sending the package, customs on either side and the delivery here in the US - but the times have always been very reasonable and around or sometimes quicker than the speed i expect them. It's still comforting to get feedback from other people on how their own tracking info goes.

This should be fun, and I think i have 1 or 2 more buyers at my job just waiting to see mine.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New community website! Luke 3 2,219 10-19-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 89,996 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone community poll results Luke 2 3,788 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM
  PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is now available Luke 1 3,281 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 167,443 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 81,097 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone BETA Edition pre-orders start March 24 Luke 2 6,086 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ryo
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 177,083 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,937 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,534 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM