PineTime is dead!!
Updated my PineTime yesterday and it worked fine, update went through got the 0.8 validate tick thing and everything was fine, I placed it down for a second and when I went back to pick it up everything was dead, no screen turns on, no indication to say that it’s charging, just nothing what a waste of money this has been was actually rather excited to get my watch and see it develop into something awesome but nope!
I can still connect to the nRF connect app with the watch but instead of it saying PineTime-jf it now says infinitime, I am just so lost
Infinitime is the official name of the software on the watch.  Maybe the new release changed the Bluetooth name.  If you can see the Infinitime Bluetooth entry then the watch is not dead.  Note that the watch normally powers off the screen after a few seconds to save the battery.  You have to push the button to turn it back on, touching the screen does not work.  A long press on the button (up to 10 seconds) will reboot the watch and you should see the Pinetime logo and then the watch face.

The most common problem on the Pinetime is a blank screen.  This has happened to me on multiple occasions with different versions of the software.  So far I have always been able to fix it, usually with the help of the developer (see the issues on Github for the various versions of the software).

Note that there are other forums for Pinetime discussion, like Discord and IRC.  You will usually get a faster response on those forums.

Hugh
(10-26-2020, 12:22 PM)VMMainFrame Wrote: Infinitime is the official name of the software on the watch.  Maybe the new release changed the Bluetooth name.  If you can see the Infinitime Bluetooth entry then the watch is not dead.  Note that the watch normally powers off the screen after a few seconds to save the battery.  You have to push the button to turn it back on, touching the screen does not work.  A long press on the button (up to 10 seconds) will reboot the watch and you should see the Pinetime logo and then the watch face.

The most common problem on the Pinetime is a blank screen.  This has happened to me on multiple occasions with different versions of the software.  So far I have always been able to fix it, usually with the help of the developer (see the issues on Github for the various versions of the software).

Note that there are other forums for Pinetime discussion, like Discord and IRC.  You will usually get a faster response on those forums.

Hugh

thanks again Hugh man I will give it a try but earlier I sat for about a minute holding the button and nothing happened at all not even a little bit I will try again but thanks for the advice it’s much appreciatedSmile
(10-26-2020, 12:22 PM)VMMainFrame Wrote: Note that there are other forums for Pinetime discussion, like Discord and IRC.  You will usually get a faster response on those forums.

... although it would be nice if there were some Infinitime users hanging out on the forum too now the users are rolling in.  Smile

Anyhow, I haven't tried it myself but this appears to be a well known bug at this point and can be fixed by letting the battery run flat (which amoung other things forces the flash chip out of a low power state):
https://github.com/JF002/Pinetime/releases/tag/0.8.2
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
Thanks Daniel, yeah I read yesterday also that JF has actually made a new update for the PineTime and it fixes the blank screen issue but I have to wait until Sunday to get it back to life lol
(10-28-2020, 01:06 AM)Markdanni123 Wrote: Thanks Daniel, yeah I read yesterday also that JF has actually made a new update for the PineTime and it fixes the blank screen issue but I have to wait until Sunday to get it back to life lol

You can avoid the issue without the update by not force-resetting the watch when it sleeps.
@Markdanni123 As the others said, I doubt your PineTime is dead... it just ran into multiple bugs that have (hopefully) been fixed in more recent versions of the InfiniTime and of the bootloader. From your description, I think it's now stuck into an infinite loop caused by that double bug (into InfiniTime and into the bootloader). 
The only way to fix that issue is to hard-reset the cpu... which is only possible via SWD (if your PineTime is a devkit) or wait for the battery to drain completely before charging it again.
Note that we've released InfiniTime 0.8.3 a few days ago which should fix this issue, and you'll be able to force reset your PineTime as much as you like Smile
https://github.com/JF002/Pinetime/releases/tag/0.8.3

Quote:what a waste of money this has been was actually rather excited to get my watch and see it develop into something awesome but nope!

I know this situation is quite frustrating, but what you experienced is exactly "see it develop into something awesome"! Every time we fix a bug, every time we add a functionality, is becoming better than before. Bugs are (unfortunately) part of the development process and there will be a lot of them while we are in heavy development phase! 
Feel free to join the community, test the firmware, report bugs and suggest new features, this way, you'll help us to make it awesome!

Quote:... although it would be nice if there were some Infinitime users hanging out on the forum too now the users are rolling in.  [Image: smile.png]
Right! But hanging out in many communication channels (Matrix, Discord, Reddit,...) can be quite consuming, and forum is not my favorite one... I'll try to come by from time to time, though!
Working on InfiniTime, the FOSS firmware for the PineTime: https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime

Mastodon : https://mastodon.codingfield.com/@JF
Twitter : https://twitter.com/codingfield
Matrix : @JF002:matrix.org
(10-29-2020, 12:25 PM)JF002 Wrote: @Markdanni123 As the others said, I doubt your PineTime is dead... it just ran into multiple bugs that have (hopefully) been fixed in more recent versions of the InfiniTime and of the bootloader. From your description, I think it's now stuck into an infinite loop caused by that double bug (into InfiniTime and into the bootloader). 
The only way to fix that issue is to hard-reset the cpu... which is only possible via SWD (if your PineTime is a devkit) or wait for the battery to drain completely before charging it again.
Note that we've released InfiniTime 0.8.3 a few days ago which should fix this issue, and you'll be able to force reset your PineTime as much as you like Smile
https://github.com/JF002/Pinetime/releases/tag/0.8.3

Quote:what a waste of money this has been was actually rather excited to get my watch and see it develop into something awesome but nope!

I know this situation is quite frustrating, but what you experienced is exactly "see it develop into something awesome"! Every time we fix a bug, every time we add a functionality, is becoming better than before. Bugs are (unfortunately) part of the development process and there will be a lot of them while we are in heavy development phase! 
Feel free to join the community, test the firmware, report bugs and suggest new features, this way, you'll help us to make it awesome!

Quote:... although it would be nice if there were some Infinitime users hanging out on the forum too now the users are rolling in.  [Image: smile.png]
Right! But hanging out in many communication channels (Matrix, Discord, Reddit,...) can be quite consuming, and forum is not my favorite one... I'll try to come by from time to time, though!
Thanks dude I got it working and I appreciate that bugs exist and it takes time to fix them and for that I am really great full I will just keep an eye on updates and look forward to what’s coming Smile thanks again man!
Thanks for the update. I'm relieved your PineTime is alive again!
Working on InfiniTime, the FOSS firmware for the PineTime: https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime

Mastodon : https://mastodon.codingfield.com/@JF
Twitter : https://twitter.com/codingfield
Matrix : @JF002:matrix.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTime at FOSDEM jmlich 5 627 02-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime turns off when removed from cradle tynstar 0 184 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tynstar
  PineTime and Amazfish on Ubuntu Touch jmlich 1 648 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime Sleep Tracking any_mouse 12 12,016 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: davidair
  PineTime Dead out of box? henkery 1 1,152 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: henkery
  Pinetime almost dead... only shows Infinitime logo. lightweight 8 6,514 02-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Last Post: alexmitroff
  PineTime beginner MV1791 2 2,090 01-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  Struggling to detect Pinetime over bluetooth John45595 0 1,121 11-20-2022, 11:06 PM
Last Post: John45595
  PineTime Dev Kit for sale igor.bljahhin 2 3,132 10-19-2022, 05:34 AM
Last Post: peatord
  Pinetime Screen issue after bootloop troubles Spater 12 5,535 09-15-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: wibble