IMEI related question
I'm aware that chances of meeting Japanese users here is very small, but one unfortunate thing about Japanese providers is that you must not only change to a completely different SIM card upon switching to a different phone, you also have to provide them the IMEI of the phone in advance, or the SIM card won't work with that phone at all.

I don't have the PinePhone yet, seems like it's going to be shipped in early November if I order now, the US elections/covid19 will be over from then on, so whether it can be shipped is not a problem.

But my question is, once I get the PinePhone, is there a way to know the IMEI?
Like a menu option? Or written inside the battery cover?

Thank you.
Yes, the IMEI is printer om the modems coverplate, visible when you take the back cover off.
(10-20-2020, 01:38 AM)ryo Wrote: I'm aware that chances of meeting Japanese users here is very small, but one unfortunate thing about Japanese providers is that you must not only change to a completely different SIM card upon switching to a different phone, you also have to provide them the IMEI of the phone in advance, or the SIM card won't work with that phone at all.

I don't have the PinePhone yet, seems like it's going to be shipped in early November if I order now, the US elections/covid19 will be over from then on, so whether it can be shipped is not a problem.

Thank you.
You can find the IMEI by taking the battery cover off and looking on the Quectel EG25-G Modem. The writing on the modem is upside down. If you turn it around to read the text, the bottom left of the modem has the IMEI under the modem Serial Number. You can also find it in most of the operating systems. I know that in Mobian (mobile version of Debian), you can go to Settings, then Mobile, then Modem Details and it will also list the IMEI at the bottom there. Hope that helps!
(10-20-2020, 01:38 AM)ryo Wrote: ...

Thank you.
When you open the back cover to remove the plastic sticker that keeps the battery disconnected during shipping you can read the IMEI on the Quectel modem chip itself.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Thanks everyone!
That cleared up the problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic question: KDE apps on GNOME and vice versa jojuma 4 1,159 06-15-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  I am considering a pinephone but have a question first flatulent_piney 11 7,219 01-04-2022, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ryo
  PinePhone Pin/password question dgdimick 3 3,936 03-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: dgdimick
Question Order limit question psm321 3 2,798 03-24-2021, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pine phone setup question Csanderson0313 3 3,286 11-29-2020, 05:34 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  New to PinePhone - one basic question Mike X 2 4,490 07-16-2020, 12:43 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Question about HW switches GloriousCoffee 3 3,711 05-30-2020, 05:03 PM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Question about ofono and a chat app FutureBucket 3 4,871 01-11-2020, 07:30 AM