Pinebook Pro Won't Accept Charge
Huh  My Pinebook Pro just decided to quit accepting a charge.  The wall wart is putting out 5+ VDC, but the battery doesn't charge and now is totally dead.  I do not have a USB cable and don't really want to throw good money after bad.  Is there something I can do myself to remedy this?  Can I ship it back to Pine64 for service?  Or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
>don't really want to throw good money after bad
I see that usbC cables are starting to show up in dollar stores,,
not at all ideal for charging, but only a dollar experiment.
Do try it both ways,, ie "C" end flipped,,,, if it works, get a better one
You don't want to spend much, so I won't recommend anything else
(and don't be in a rush, give it a hour, sometimes a dead battery takes a while)
Thanks, wdt, for your reply.  I'm a total noob.  I'll look up USB C cables online just to see what you're talking about.  How does the cable hook up to the PBP?  Does it backfeed into the USB C port then?  Also, what did you mean about try it both ways?  I totally agree this is worth trying.  Much appreciated!
I bought several usb-c cables at the dollar store (one us dollar each) and they all worked fine. I also bought one at the corner gas station for $4.99 which also works fine. With usb-c it's the same as charging a phone.

Cheers!
Online will usually be a bit more money, look for the word charging, so maybe
the wires are a bit thicker,, a standard cable, "C" at one end, "A" at the other
The C end can be plugged in 2 different ways, label up or label down
Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes not. If it is working, the red led will light
You will have to find (or buy) your most powerful charger, 2.4A is usual maximum
Obviously, for a test, OR overnight, you can use one with less amperage, try for 1A minimum
A pc, the usb3 port supplies 900 mA, usb2 gives 500mA
BTW, the pbp usbC port is NOT smart, so don't need to get fancy cable or PD/QC charger
Do try to get a cable that is thick, there are 10 wires in it after all
(10-14-2020, 09:17 PM)rempfer Wrote: Huh  My Pinebook Pro just decided to quit accepting a charge.  The wall wart is putting out 5+ VDC, but the battery doesn't charge and now is totally dead.  I do not have a USB cable and don't really want to throw good money after bad.  Is there something I can do myself to remedy this?  Can I ship it back to Pine64 for service?  Or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Before sending it back I'd try opening it up and unplugging the battery, leaving it 30 seconds then plugging it back in. My pinebook stopped charging a while after receipt, any time I plugged in a charger it got stuck in a loop of trying to charge then giving up and this solved it.
The USB-C cable did start charging the PBP and then, after that experiment, the AC power supply resumed charging as well.

Thank you everyone!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,918 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 305 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 240 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 231 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 168 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 560 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 623 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,244 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,001 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,171 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt