Linux Support
I have it built and available for download on my site. Modsbyus.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
(12-01-2016, 10:04 AM)modsbyus Wrote: I have it built and available for download on my site. Modsbyus.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will give that a try.
When new technology rolls over, you are either part of the steam roller... or part of the road.
(12-01-2016, 09:24 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: Compilation finished (after 325 minutes) on the fourth attempt. The resulting .img file however does not boot. I used the script on the Armbian page, left it at default except for BOARD="pine64" and KERNEL_ONLY="no"

Any hints or tips for a comparative newbie ?

I assumed that the only reason a quad core VM was specified was to cut down on processing time.

Um... why are you compiling anything? As it says in the pine64 docs for Armbian, the support is there... so you you need to do is download the beta image from their site (second last entry). Saves you the hassle of ensuring your system is setup up properly for compilation and waiting around for it to compile! Wink And preferably use a proper disk imaging tool like Etcher that actually verifies the the image is written, so you minimise the chance that you'll have issues with faulty SD cards.
(12-01-2016, 09:15 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 09:24 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: Compilation finished (after 325 minutes) on the fourth attempt. The resulting .img file however does not boot. I used the script on the Armbian page, left it at default except for BOARD="pine64" and KERNEL_ONLY="no"

Any hints or tips for a comparative newbie ?

I assumed that the only reason a quad core VM was specified was to cut down on processing time.

Um... why are you compiling anything? As it says in the pine64 docs for Armbian, the support is there... so you you need to do is download the beta image from their site (second last entry). Saves you the hassle of ensuring your system is setup up properly for compilation and waiting around for it to compile! Wink And preferably use a proper disk imaging tool like Etcher that actually verifies the the image is written, so you minimise the chance that you'll have issues with faulty SD cards.
I compiled it because... I wanted to. I was interested to see if the VM would handle it. Cool

Let's face it, if we were not liable to do stuff like that we would have brought a b****y Mac.   Smile

I also downloaded the beta, assuming that you mean:

Armbian_5.20_Pine64_Ubuntu_xenial_3.10.102.7z

I have the same problem with both.  :-) I also have the same with the image downloaded from modsbyus. All very odd. Runs Android really nicely. I will have another go with Etcher. SOMETHING is read as the momentary switch no longer turns the unit off & I have to pull the battery.  :-)

Time passes...

Right. Done that. Burned with Etcher, CRC32 for image & card match.

/boot/uEnv.txt looking like:     

console=ttyS0,115200n8
    selinux=permissive
    optargs=enforcing=0 cma=384M no_console_suspend
    kernel_filename=kernel
    initrd_filename=ramdisk.img
    hardware=sun50iw1p1

# Uncomment to enable LCD screen
    fdt_filename_prefix=pine64/sun50i-a64-lcd-

Card in &... Nada.

I wonder if my 2a wall wart can actually supply enough current ?  Would Linux require very more current than Android ?
When new technology rolls over, you are either part of the steam roller... or part of the road.
(12-02-2016, 02:47 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: I compiled it because... I wanted to. I was interested to see if the VM would handle it. Cool

Let's face it, if we were not liable to do stuff like that we would have brought a b****y Mac.   Smile

I wonder if my 2a wall wart can actually supply enough current ?  Would Linux require very more current than Android ?

lol... good response... although the only good use for a Mac (used to be) is as a boat anchor :-O

No, I meant the beta image, as per the link in my message earlier... 

5.20 is the current release build, 5.24 (desktop) is the current beta, and 5.25 should't be too far away. Try that image, and make the changes noted at the bottom of the pine64 armbian notes re: 5.24 LCD support. If it doesn't work... yell and scream at tkasier over on the Armbian forum... as he wrote the docs saying it works! :-P But seriously, let us know how you go... 

I would think if you can run Android without any issue, then linux won't be an issue... I would actually expect linux to be more power friendly when idle, etc, but I can't say from experience which is the more power taxing.
A problem I used have (mainly with the android distro) was editing the uEnv.txt file in windows using notepad wouldnt boot. I had to burn it again and edit with nano on a linux box.

Only thing I could think of was the pine didn't like the way windows saves the new line character.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
(12-02-2016, 04:32 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 02:47 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: I compiled it because... I wanted to. I was interested to see if the VM would handle it. Cool

lol... good response... although the only good use for a Mac (used to be) is as a boat anchor :-O

No, I meant the beta image, as per the link in my message earlier... 

5.20 is the current release build, 5.24 (desktop) is the current beta, and 5.25 should't be too far away. Try that image, and make the changes noted at the bottom of the pine64 armbian notes re: 5.24 LCD support. If it doesn't work... yell and scream at tkasier over on the Armbian forum... as he wrote the docs saying it works! :-P But seriously, let us know how you go... 

I would think if you can run Android without any issue, then linux won't be an issue... I would actually expect linux to be more power friendly when idle, etc, but I can't say from experience which is the more power taxing.

Now that worked. I think I have a strange TV vis a vis HDMi. I use HDMI#1 socket but selected HDMI#2 and we have lift-off.

One lives & one learns. And with a bit of luck one learns from people who know what they are talking about. Many thanks to all who helped.

Oh. And an old PowerMac makes a usable Linux file server. The hardware is pretty.   Smile

The software is a nightmare.
(12-02-2016, 06:03 AM)Ghelorn Wrote: A problem I used have (mainly with the android distro) was editing the uEnv.txt file in windows using notepad wouldnt boot. I had to burn it again and edit with nano on a linux box.

Only thing I could think of was the pine didn't like the way windows saves the new line character.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, don't use notepad to edit files that have come from linux - the line endings are different - windows/dos uses a carriage return and line feed, whereas linux only uses a line feed. Hence why a file such as uEnv.txt which you knew was across several lines when you looked at it on linux is all on one line when you open it on Windows.

Use a better editor such as Notepad++ that does support the correct line endings. IIRC, Wordpad on windows will display/save the files the correct line endings also.

(12-02-2016, 06:55 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: Now that worked. I think I have a strange TV vis a vis HDMi. I use HDMI#1 socket but selected HDMI#2 and we have lift-off.

Oh. And an old PowerMac makes a usable Linux file server. The hardware is pretty.   Smile

Glad to hear it's working for you... now that the minor technicalities have been resolved.... now onto the good stuff!!! Big Grin

Pretty? PRETTY?! lol... yes, old hardware certainly has its uses still Wink
Anyone tried installing HPLIP on this ?

"cannot guess build type"
(09-20-2016, 07:25 AM)apple4ever Wrote: Thanks for the background. Is there a detailed step by step to getting the LCD working on Ubuntu? That would be really helpful.

Following up: I got everything working by following the instruction on this thread:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=2247
I do it live!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information LCD Support on Linux pfeerick 8 19,006 02-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: HBeserra
  [EXPERIMENTAL] Linux on the LCD screen Terra854 24 34,703 07-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Last Post: apple4ever
  Touch screen support shariq_2001 14 19,526 12-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Luke
Photo Playbox LCD on Linux MackPI 10 15,900 10-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Zoidiano0
  Received a bad LCD, can't get support. bryanlyon 3 4,850 09-27-2016, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Touchscreen support? NoahJ 12 15,384 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Last Post: yodermk
  LVDS support Flood_of_SYNs 2 6,395 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Last Post: balornt