Latest firmware for PinePhone modem!
(09-03-2021, 05:05 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: It may be I'm not seeing a problem with the modem because I don't use mobile internet, all I use the Pinephone for is phone calls and as a portable Linux computer like a tiny laptop. (I have the mobile internet feature disabled in the settings.) For internet access I use wi-fi which has been working perfectly well aside from being limited to the 2.4GHz band.

I've been using LTE mobile Internet and I have experienced no problems. For that matter, nearly all my voice calls have been VoLTE since I subscribed to US Mobile (T-Mobile white SIM card). I use wifi far more often than mobile Internet but I have been using mobile too.
Must read:
https://dylanvanassche.be/blog/2021/pine...dem-myths/
warning:
i am NOT responsible for any damage you do for anything or anyone based on this information, either are NOT developers, like biktorgj. that damage includes thermonuclear war with biological agents and bricking the modem chip!! 

i decided to install this firmware https://github.com/Biktorgj/pinephone_mo.../tag/0.4.0 . it has same intermittent mobile data internet disconnects like others (01.002.01.002 and 01.003.01.003).

getting back was troublesome, command "adb reboot edl" did not work in that yocto, my guess is adb's arm64 compilement has some issues, not necessarily yocto. i needed to use shortcircuiting. however, i was able to get back.

warning:
i am NOT responsible for any damage you do for anything or anyone based on this information, either are NOT developers, like biktorgj. that damage includes thermonuclear war with biological agents and bricking the modem chip!!
may not be best place, but i put it here.

those mobile data disconnects, i possibly found key issue to avoid them. edit file "/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules" and change ATTR{power/control}="auto" into ATTR{power/control}="on". tested on manjaro arm linux. most likely will have side effects like wasting battery.

(actually advice came from matrix channel for modem disappearings.)
The information in the OP is out of date, so I unstuck the thread.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-03-2021, 03:42 PM)zetabeta Wrote: may not be best place, but i put it here.

those mobile data disconnects, i possibly found key issue to avoid them. edit file "/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules" and change ATTR{power/control}="auto" into ATTR{power/control}="on". tested on manjaro arm linux. most likely will have side effects like wasting battery.

EDIT: It DOES work. No idea why it did not at the first attempt.

That did not work on my phone, I'm afraid. (Bookworm with all updates.)

Still same behaviour: Usually mobile connection after a restart and no connection after some time (or after certain unknown events).
(12-18-2021, 06:34 AM)Anna Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 03:42 PM)zetabeta Wrote: may not be best place, but i put it here.

That did not work on my phone, I'm afraid. (Bookworm with all updates.)

Still same behaviour: Usually mobile connection after a restart and no connection after some time (or after certain unknown events).
maybe, you should try other distributions, like postmarketos, manjaro or archlinux.

it has been few months when i used mobian but it heated alot, run unreliably on sdcard and constant mobile disconnects. however, i haven't tested recently. manjaro seems to be more reliable but not problem-free.

i tested archlinux/sxmo shortly, weird user interface and not for ordinary users, it seems to be quite stable though.
Hi,
Worth installing custom modem firmware ? Is big improvement between stock firmware?
(12-31-2021, 07:51 AM)kubussz Wrote: Hi,
Worth installing custom modem firmware ? Is big improvement between stock firmware?

I think it is more a matter of working or not working.

If your modem is 'working' now,  you probably would not notice an improvement changing the firmware.

There is talk about a new open source firmware for the modem, but i don't know if that is ready yet.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I have just replaced the main board in my PinePhone Braveheart edition to the replacement mainboard what used to be available for a short while to have an up-to-date version of the phone as part of preparing to build up a working system as I will have my new Pinephone keyboard in my hands soon.
Also installed Mobian to internal flash as I feel the phone will be much better together with a physical keyboard.

It currently has modem firmware version EG25GGBR07A08M2G
What I still not like about this modem is EG25 getting really warm which has a battery penalty and also I feel reaching 50+ Celsius degree without back panel is still shows a very bad working efficiency.

What do you think, what is the best firmware version?
Are they addresses this problem? How about stability compared to original firmware?

So I would like to ask your advice if it worth to update the firmware and which version is working the best way.

Thank you your help in advance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,362 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 283 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,158 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,963 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,717 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,993 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,768 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 819 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,842 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,122 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega