BackerKit Peripherals/Upgrades
I presume that the Backerkit date has slipped again.

May I suggest that a sticky note is put in the forum with the current best date we should expect our mailing?

That way, we don't have to keep checking our spam folders or pestering you?

I understand that dates slip, but what is hard to accept are estimates which slip with no followup messages, because that leads to anxiety.

According to dates in this thread, I should have received my email last week.  Could we have updates on Backerkit sent on a weekly interval please, or a sticky forum note?
(02-03-2016, 07:52 AM)bwims Wrote: I presume that the Backerkit date has slipped again.

May I suggest that a sticky note is put in the forum with the current best date we should expect our mailing?

That way, we don't have to keep checking our spam folders or pestering you?

I understand that dates slip, but what is hard to accept are estimates which slip with no followup messages, because that leads to anxiety.

According to dates in this thread, I should have received my email last week.  Could we have updates on Backerkit sent on a weekly interval please, or a sticky forum note?

The Backerkit should be up on this week. There are some items, particular add-on boards and cables, just get squeeze in on last two days. Another change is the LiPo battery pack delivery, this due to recent Hoover Board caught fire concern, all carrier service no longer want to accept Lithium battery shipment.
So if we add the LiPo to our order will it delay the arrival?
(02-03-2016, 12:25 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote: So if we add the LiPo to our order will it delay the arrival?

We may not able to ship your order.
(02-03-2016, 01:26 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 12:25 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote: So if we add the LiPo to our order will it delay the arrival?

We may not able to ship your order.

Well that kind of sucks. I ordered the kit with the 7'inch touchscreen and enclosure, under the belief that with a battery it would make a cool tablet. I believe it was mentioned in another post that the enclosure would fit the pine64 board and a battery to make a "bulky" tablet. Kickstarter shows the "playbox" with a 7500 mAh battery. Am I correct in assuming that this is the enclosure that ships with the $89 package?  Without the battery it makes it kind of lame. So will we have to find a LiPo that will work on our own then?

On a side note, does the enclosure only fit the battery shown, or is there something that will fit the 10,000 mAh battery by Vanson that was shown as one of the available peripherals?

TLLIM:  Would appear that the shipping carriers are concerned that the rechargable Lipo batteries originally sourced for the Pine64 project may not be certified (tested) by any reconized authority that the carriers depend on to insure safe transport (that also applies to end user use and the liaibilty that may arise from failures in the field (ins companies)). If the manufacture of said battery maintains a paperwork trail of production and is a certified supplier the item in question is submitted to appropriate testing labs and gets a seal of approval than there should be no issues.  If this is not the case and/or will take to long or otherwise, to meet shipping goals than the alternative is to use a product that is already on the market and is certified, produced by a certified mfg'r. Cost may or may not change, be delayed or otherwise, but there are other mfg'rs that have the production and supply chain along with certification out there. There is a solution to most issues when it comes LiPo batteries, but because of thier nature they do come with a "liability" attribute attached to them, even the ones produced by the best of manufacture's. Sure someone has the knowledge of this issue and how to deal with it.
(02-11-2016, 12:44 PM)DeepBlu Wrote:

TLLIM:  Would appear that the shipping carriers are concerned that the rechargable Lipo batteries originally sourced for the Pine64 project may not be certified (tested) by any reconized authority that the carriers depend on to insure safe transport (that also applies to end user use and the liaibilty that may arise from failures in the field (ins companies)). If the manufacture of said battery maintains a paperwork trail of production and is a certified supplier the item in question is submitted to appropriate testing labs and gets a seal of approval than there should be no issues.  If this is not the case and/or will take to long or otherwise, to meet shipping goals than the alternative is to use a product that is already on the market and is certified, produced by a certified mfg'r. Cost may or may not change, be delayed or otherwise, but there are other mfg'rs that have the production and supply chain along with certification out there. There is a solution to most issues when it comes LiPo batteries, but because of thier nature they do come with a "liability" attribute attached to them, even the ones produced by the best of manufacture's. Sure someone has the knowledge of this issue and how to deal with it.
Few shipping policy have been changed due to the "Hoover" board incident. Our LiPo battery vednor is a reputation one (I don't mess around on Lithium battery) and has proper paperwork. However, the shipping company, particular China post, very cautious on the package the contains Lithium batteries, anf most shipping service have say "NO". We still try to explore on the alternative, prefer not to accept order and tell the backer that we cannot ship. For US backer, we already have a solution but costs us to bare the hefty shipping cost. For ROW, no good solution.
(02-11-2016, 01:33 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 12:44 PM)DeepBlu Wrote:

Few shipping policy have been changed due to the "Hoover" board incident. Our LiPo battery vednor is a reputation one (I don't mess around on Lithium battery) and has proper paperwork. However, the shipping company, particular China post, very cautious on the package the contains Lithium batteries, anf most shipping service have say "NO". We still try to explore on the alternative, prefer not to accept order and tell the backer that we cannot ship. For US backer, we already have a solution but costs us to bare the hefty shipping cost. For ROW, no good solution.

TLIM: So when you say for the rest of the world there is no good solution, I assume you are including Canada? Are we then going to have to find a LIPO on our own instead of ordering one through Pine 64?
(02-14-2016, 06:49 PM)mstride Wrote: TLIM: So when you say for the rest of the world there is no good solution, I assume you are including Canada? Are we then going to have to find a LIPO on our own instead of ordering one through Pine 64?
Or use a 5v USB battery charger instead of a lipo.

Note, the lipo battery uses 3 pins, not the normal 2 that I see for other 1 cell lipo batteries. I don't know if this means they are using a pair of lipos for 5.4v to 8.4v, or there some other reason not to use the 2 pin JST connector. In addition, charging lipos require specialing handling, and it is possible pine64 is using a lipo battery with a somewhat different chemistry. Before trying to source your own batteries, it would be helpful if pine64 could detail exactly what battery is supported.
(02-14-2016, 07:13 PM)MichaelMeissner Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 06:49 PM)mstride Wrote: TLIM: So when you say for the rest of the world there is no good solution, I assume you are including Canada? Are we then going to have to find a LIPO on our own instead of ordering one through Pine 64?
Or use a 5v USB battery charger instead of a lipo.

Note, the lipo battery uses 3 pins, not the normal 2 that I see for other 1 cell lipo batteries.  I don't know if this means they are using a pair of lipos for 5.4v to 8.4v, or there some other reason not to use the 2 pin JST connector.  In addition, charging lipos require specialing handling, and it is possible pine64 is using a lipo battery with a somewhat different chemistry.  Before trying to source your own batteries, it would be helpful if pine64 could detail exactly what battery is supported.

I'll be the first to admit that this is not my forte. I spend a lot of time working in northern Canada (extreme northern Canada), with a lot of time flying between sites. I know I could just get a tablet to read ebooks or watch movies on, but thought that this would make a really cool little tablet to play with. Not sure if there's another option to Lipo's for tablets for providing power to the Pine 64 for longer term use. Without a battery the unit would be unusable on the flights.