Pinetime Plus?
The pine time is really great for only $25 USD, but still lacking something I was hoping for: a hidden camera

There are times people may need a hidden camera.

I saw this device on Amazon for only $89 USD with a 1080p hidden camera, and other neat features like heart monitor, Oxygen Monitor, and Fitness Tracking.

It is four times the price of a Pinetime, but I would certainly get a Pinetime with a hidden camera.

https://amzn.to/3lvoCPp
I'd be up for a more powerful version of the PineTime, but would like to see this one get a bit more mature first.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(10-14-2020, 12:40 AM)zer0sig Wrote: I'd be up for a more powerful version of the PineTime, but would like to see this one get a bit more mature first.

I can agree with that, but it seems it is taking a while to get some actual units out other than the developer ones.
Not complaining, but the one in the link is about half the size, and also has touch screen, plus a camera (but you can't program it). Stuff is getting really obsolete very fast these days.
Here are the options for smartwatches which might be interesting:

The PineTime is advertised as a Companion for PinePhone Linux Phone:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/09/15/...pinephone/

1. The PineTime for 25 USD is certainly the most affordable companion for the PinePhone

2. The LG watch Urbane can be bought cheap on ebay
it is sayd that the LG wach Urbane is one of the best supported devices of Linux Asteroid OS. Is a Linux watch not also an excellent PinePhone companion? You can find the answer when you search this forum for «Linux & watch».

3. LG watch R and PostmarketOS?
Someone already tried to install PostmarketOs on the Ticwatch Pro, but failed.You can find out about this in the xda developers forum. Someone was aready sucessful with LG watch R and PostmarketOS. There is a Wiki available for this.

4. The Ticwatch Pro cost up to 300 USD
but it has a new and powerful processor, and a lot of RAM. Linux is not available for it yet, but a very sophisticated custom ROM. You can find about this in the xda developers forum, when you search for «TicWatch Pro & Linux»

5. An affordable Linux watch from Pine64?
The PinePhone and the Pine64 community are great examples of community project. Some years ago, when I became interested in Linux Phones, the situation was a scattered community with many devices, but none of those was interesting for my personally. With the PinePhone and the Pine64 community things have changed. May the PinePhone become an example for a future Linux watch.
(10-14-2020, 10:08 PM)KNERD Wrote: I can agree with that, but it seems it is taking a while to get some actual units out other than the developer ones.
Not complaining, but the one in the link is about half the size, and also has touch screen, plus a camera (but you can't program it). Stuff is getting really obsolete very fast these days.

Embedded commodity device space does not move as fast as e.g. smartphones. The PineTime will be good for years and we haven't really reached half of what the PineTime can do.
(10-15-2020, 05:00 AM)Avamander Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:08 PM)KNERD Wrote: I can agree with that, but it seems it is taking a while to get some actual units out other than the developer ones.

Embedded commodity device space does not move as fast as e.g. smartphones. The PineTime will be good for years and we haven't really reached half of what the PineTime can do.

I hope that does come true, but still would love to see one with a camera. Didn't Samsung come otu with a Wristwatch style smartphone a while back?
For me personally, it has to be a Linux watch. I bought a LG watch Urbane for 50 USD on ebay, which is on the way to my place. There is also the Kingwear K88 Pro for 80 USD, which has a camera. There is an instruction availailable from Chandler Swift to install Linux Asteroid OS on the Kingwear. But the Kingwear Pro is not recommended for Bluetooth low energy and WIFI applications, since the Bluetooth stack of this watch appears to be a mess. I would spend 300 USD for a Ticwatch Pro when there is a Linux version available for it. Currently there is only Linux Asteroid OS available for the Ticwatch E & S.
If there is a Linux watch from Pine64, I certainly would buy a watch from Pine64, but it seems that there is no project around for a Linux watch.
(10-16-2020, 07:22 AM)Peter Gamma Wrote: .
If there is a Linux watch from Pine64, I certainly would buy a watch from Pine64, but it seems that there is no project around for a Linux watch.

The problem is the PineTime and other things like ti are embedded device with such small amount of storage, and memory. Thus a special firmware has to be made for them.
That is why I ‘m promoting a Linux watch. There is software available for Linux, the Linux Asteroid operating system, which as a responsive and professional IRC chat, as well as support for Bluetooth low energy and ANT+ sensors:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...low+energy

Someone already managed to run PostmarketOS on a LG watch R, and newer TicWatch Pro watches are powerful enough to run Ubuntu Touch on it. But I miss a community like the Pine64 community which develops these watches.

Is not Linux development easier than PineTime 1.0 development? And is it not easier to find follower for a Linux watch than for PineTime 1.0? Is it not possible to build a “PineTime plus” with a more powerful CPU and more RAM which can run Linux software?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTime at FOSDEM jmlich 5 625 02-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime turns off when removed from cradle tynstar 0 183 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tynstar
  PineTime and Amazfish on Ubuntu Touch jmlich 1 644 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime is dead!! Markdanni123 12 13,502 09-18-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: ccchan234
  PineTime Sleep Tracking any_mouse 12 12,013 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: davidair
  PineTime Dead out of box? henkery 1 1,152 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: henkery
  Pinetime almost dead... only shows Infinitime logo. lightweight 8 6,508 02-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Last Post: alexmitroff
  PineTime beginner MV1791 2 2,089 01-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  Struggling to detect Pinetime over bluetooth John45595 0 1,121 11-20-2022, 11:06 PM
Last Post: John45595
  PineTime Dev Kit for sale igor.bljahhin 2 3,132 10-19-2022, 05:34 AM
Last Post: peatord