Pinephone as daily driver
What OS do you use as a daily driver and what apps do you have that make it a daily driver.

THanks
Mobian + Firefox + Geary + Telegram+Megapixel+Terminal
Mobian with Phosh alternating with manjaro with phosh, but of course both require paying a lot of attention to what state the phone's in and both suffer occasional setbacks as things stop  working (the last few days on manjaro the sound routing has been messed up, while it was fine before, but can still be fixed manually) - because development. On Mobian I've always tended to reboot quite often to reset things particularly after phone calls, but since I don't make loads of calls it's not a big problem for me, but lately I've mainly been using manjaro since mobian has stopped waking fast enough to take calls (haven't long term tested it for a couple of weeks so I don't know if that's still the case). Your mileage may, of course, vary.
As long as incoming calls and/or SMS are missing the phone could not really used as a daily.

My wife worked one day a bit longer and had then an technical problem with her car. She could not call me on my PinePhone :-( No answer and no notification there. Fortunately she called me on our landline and all could be solved.

But You can also dismiss emergency calls from Your wife/children/parents and so on

If You have no problem with such - You can use it as a daily. If you need an really stable phone - then NOT!
(10-11-2020, 05:40 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: As long as incoming calls and/or SMS are missing the phone could not really used as a daily.

My wife worked one day a bit longer and had then an technical problem with her car. She could not call me on my PinePhone :-( No answer and no notification there. Fortunately she called me on our landline and all could be solved.

But You can also dismiss emergency calls from Your wife/children/parents and so on

If You have no problem with such - You can use it as a daily. If you need an really stable phone - then NOT!

Totally agree with you.

PP is not ready as a daily driver.

PP is still a project, not a final product. We can play, test, improve it. Cannot be your only phone.
Mobian, telegram, mpv, liferea, evolution, firefox (at the moment -esr v78 seems even less stable than phosh though so playing gnome web). And Kings Cross.

Yup I do have another phone: it gets switched on when I arrange a call on signal and to scan QR codes with the NHS Covid app
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
How do you upgrade Mobian?

I tried in settings and it gives me this error Mobian unable to download updates: the following packages have unmet dependencies: devices:

I tried upgrading from the command line in Kings Cross and it gives all kinds of errors, too many to try and transcribe from the phone to here.

Used
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Received a error so used sudo apt autoremove
Tried sudo apt-get upgrade again still errors
Tried sudo apt-get dist-upgrade bunch of errors

I have had this phone 5 months haven't made a single successful phone call or taken a photo that was worth saving

What do I have to do to make the Pine Phone into a daily driver?
Battery only last a few hours so far the Pine Phone is a total waste of time and money complete fail !

Please help
(10-11-2020, 01:50 PM)K_Research Wrote: How do you upgrade Mobian?

I tried in settings and it gives me this error Mobian unable to download updates: the following packages have unmet dependencies: devices:

I tried upgrading from the command line in Kings Cross and it gives all kinds of errors, too many to try and transcribe from the phone to here.

Used
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I have had this phone 5 months haven't made a single successful phone call or taken a photo that was worth saving

Battery only last a few hours so far the Pine Phone is a total waste of time and money complete fail !

Please help

You should ask in PINE64 › PinePhone › PinePhone Software ›   Debian on PinePhone,
but I guess this is what you are searching for: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...291&page=3
(10-11-2020, 01:50 PM)K_Research Wrote: How do you upgrade Mobian?

Used
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Please help
Your experience is vastly different from mine, although I've seen others struggle with the same. If you've been trying to update a build you installed a long time ago, thats probably why. There's been lots of forks along the way and because this is early its not all well documented. The best way to update is to reflash the latest nightly build, not use sudo apt-get upgrade. Not only are you more certain be be following the right path, but you also wont be catching incomplete work for whatever tasks the devs were on. Lots of builds including mobian, arch and manjaro are pretty much functional daily drivers. My latest charge got me 24 hours with 39% battery remaining. However my pinephone is still not yet my daily driver. My reason for this is that #1 the most complete builds use PHOSH which is frustratingly slow, taking 30-40 seconds to open some apps. But all functions still work nonetheless. Reason #2 is that the faster UIs/DEs are less complete than those using phosh. #3 I'd at least like the ability to use signal, telegram and whatsapp before completely switching. Not all builds have these functioning. #4 i'd like an app store like openstore in UT for downloads. And frankly thats about it. Aside from that calls text and data work on just about every build now, and most features function on the aforementioned, albeit slow. So if you're a bit more patient than i am, and you update by reflashing the nightly builds, then you should definitely be close to a daily driver.
Why would you scan NHS QR codes? Seems like the antithesis to everything free

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,340 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 278 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,156 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,934 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,709 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,935 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,755 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 814 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,837 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,108 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega