Games on Pinephone
I know there was a thread from 6 months ago talking about Retropie, but can we have a dedicated thread somewhere talking about what games work on the pinephone? I really like the idea of people posting here how they manage to get what game to work.

On Mobian, you have access to the full Gnome Software app, but there's literally no way to know if a game will "Just work", or "work but not fit on the screen", or just crash upon opening. The UBPorts app store is... kinda rough. Last I tried it a lot of apps just didn't work, and the games that did work were pretty minimal.

Atm I'm using Mobian, and:

-The only game I've installed that ran with zero issues was Aisleriot.
-All of the generic games with "Gnome" in the title don't fit on the screen properly.
-Retroarch from the Software Store opens, but neither fits on the screen or accepts touch-screen keyboard inputs.

Has anyone else found games that are playable? If anyone else is interested I might look into making a spreadsheet or database that can be updated as progress gets made.
Plot twist; I flashed the latest nightly of Mobian, and as of right now the Gnome Software app crashes instantly when I try to do anything but check for updates. I get the feeling the powers working on Mobian would already know if something this big is broken
yeah would e great to know what runs on the system
(10-08-2020, 08:12 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Has anyone else found games that are playable? If anyone else is interested I might look into making a spreadsheet or database that can be updated as progress gets made.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11058
This could help you with the games not properly scaling.
AFAIK not much will work right now as scaling is in progress for most stuff. You could compile it for the pinephone though and some stuff may work then.
(10-11-2020, 03:30 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: AFAIK not much will work right now as scaling is in progress for most stuff. You could compile it for the pinephone though and some stuff may work then.

I started going through all the games on Flathub, writing down what works, what doesn't. I'm honestly impressed. I assumed everything would just crash, but out of the 15 or so games I tested, only one crashed. Almost nothing is made to play nicely with a touch screen, but if I plug in a mouse and keyboard (via USB-C hub)
then about 70% of games so far just work. Only 30% don't fit on the screen, so scaling is already being handled admirably well

There is a caveat though that in landscape mode, most games have the top and bottom of the screen cut off by the phosh UI elements. That's likely an issue with phosh that will go away as it gets more polished.

I'll post here with a real list once I've made some progress
(10-11-2020, 08:40 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 03:30 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: AFAIK not much will work right now as scaling is in progress for most stuff. You could compile it for the pinephone though and some stuff may work then.

I started going through all the games on Flathub, writing down what works, what doesn't. I'm honestly impressed. I assumed everything would just crash, but out of the 15 or so games I tested, only one crashed. Almost nothing is made to play nicely with a touch screen, but if I plug in a mouse and keyboard (via USB-C hub)
then about 70% of games so far just work. Only 30% don't fit on the screen, so scaling is already being handled admirably well

There is a caveat though that in landscape mode, most games have the top and bottom of the screen cut off by the phosh UI elements. That's likely an issue with phosh that will go away as it gets more polished.

I'll post here with a real list once I've made some progress

Nice! I'm looking forward to the keyboard to use with emulators. If the same controls for OpenArena are used on the pinephone that were used on the n900 I will be very happy too.
Thank you for sharing.
They're not Pinephone specific - geared towards apps for mobile linux - but LINMOB has a list of apps, as well as a list of games... and I think there's some other lists as well..

https://linmobapps.frama.io/

https://linmobapps.frama.io/games.html
pychess and xboard seem to work fine for playing chess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,063 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,520 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,476 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,597 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma