Frustration with development pace
(10-09-2020, 03:41 PM)jed Wrote: If you have nothing nice to say...
Silencing those who speak of problems is functionally equivalent to obstructing attempts to solve them. Rather than chastising those who show concern for an extant and serious issue, you could attempt to be helpful in solving it.
(10-09-2020, 02:08 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 05:54 AM)mattpenn Wrote: @bcnaz @RTP

I recently tested Mobian on my Braveheart and if the device is locked/sleeping inbound calls do not ring/wakeup the device. Are you saying you do not suffer from this issue?

"Sometimes", the Brave Heart does seem to take longer than the PMOS phone to wake up.
  But it does show the call... so the call can be returned.
 For me the starting signal strength also seems to be a contributing factor, with a strong signal
The phone seems to wake up faster.
>  (If the caller tries again the call will ring the Brave Heart quickly)

I do have one Brave Heart and 3 PMOS Convergent phones, the Brave Heart does operate a
little different than the PMOS phones.
@bcnaz
I read your posts with interest.  That said, I believe you have indicated that you tend to try many of the new builds particularly those of mobian and find that sometimes things advance and other times they retreat which of course is the nature of software development.  You have provided this information to some extent before I believe but what is currently your "go to" mobian image or other OS image?  Apologies if I have missed an update of this info.
(10-09-2020, 01:45 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Often with a fresh OS, the first 2 - 4 calls will have no ring tone and/or no audio, but after a few
attempts and checking the sound settings, it works after that.

Uhmmm that is interesting
I got a google fi sim and it worked out of the box.
I called my iPhone and I could hear on my PP but not on the iPhone.

I followed your advice and in settings, input sound was set at headset and moving it to the internal microphone fix it. Sadly after the phone call, it went automatically to the headset again.
(10-09-2020, 09:29 PM)daniel Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 01:45 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Often with a fresh OS, the first 2 - 4 calls will have no ring tone and/or no audio, but after a few

I followed your advice and in settings, input sound was set at headset and moving it to the internal microphone fix it. Sadly after the phone call, it went automatically to the headset again.

Try resetting it a few times ?
  in some cases I have found it stays put after a few trys.
        If not, try a different release.
If you are using a Mobian nightly,  (?)   it can change in the next release.
 ( Default + Phone config. setting)

(10-09-2020, 05:43 PM)LazLong Wrote:

I recently tested Mobian on my Braveheart and if the device is locked/sleeping inbound calls do not ring/wakeup the device. Are you saying you do not suffer from this issue?

"Sometimes", the Brave Heart does seem to take longer than the PMOS phone to wake up.
 For me the starting signal strength also seems to be a contributing factor, with a strong signal

I do have one Brave Heart and 3 PMOS Convergent phones, the Brave Heart does operate a
@bcnaz
I read your posts with interest.  That said, I believe you have indicated that you tend to try many of the new builds particularly those of mobian and find that sometimes things advance and other times they retreat which of course is the nature of software development.  You have provided this information to some extent before I believe but what is currently your "go to" mobian image or other OS image?  Apologies if I have missed an update of this info.

Currently I have been using the Brave Heart with the Sept 05 nightly and auto-update as my main Linux phone, not certain if that is the 'best' combination ?   ( it has my long term prepaid at&t sim card in it )

My PMOS phones have monthly prepaid sims from Simple Mobile and Tracfone MVNO's
 For shorter term testing.

My PMOS phone with the newest Manjaro/Phosh OS was a disappointing test.
After opening the Anbox then closing it, all the desktop icons from both
 the Anbox and Phosh are now on the Phosh desktop. (?)

On another PMOS phone I am trying the Oct. 07 Mobian nightly, with Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Their cell service is weak here, so I have not done extensive tests yet, but the talk & text are working.

a-wai said recently their next 'reference' release was likely a month away, I will likely move my
  main sim card to a PMOS phone with that reference release installed on it, when that happens.

Some releases require more skills to be able to use, but I am testing the OSes that I am able use.
    For me,  I do like Mobian,  but I am not saying it will be everyones favorite.
     This is Linux,  So there are lots of choices.

BTW :  I am amazed,  not Frustrated with these great Developers,  But that is my Opinion !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-09-2020, 11:11 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 09:29 PM)daniel Wrote:

Try resetting it a few times ?
  in some cases I have found it stays put after a few trys.
        If not, try a different release.
If you are using a Mobian nightly,  (?)   it can change in the next release.
 ( Default + Phone config. setting)

(10-09-2020, 05:43 PM)LazLong Wrote:

@bcnaz

Currently I have been using the Brave Heart with the Sept 05 nightly and auto-update as my main Linux phone, not certain if that is the 'best' combination ?   ( it has my long term prepaid at&t sim card in it )

My PMOS phones have monthly prepaid sims from Simple Mobile and Tracfone MVNO's
 For shorter term testing.

My PMOS phone with the newest Manjaro/Phosh OS was a disappointing test.
After opening the Anbox then closing it, all the desktop icons from both
 the Anbox and Phosh are now on the Phosh desktop. (?)

On another PMOS phone I am trying the Oct. 07 Mobian nightly, with Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Their cell service is weak here, so I have not done extensive tests yet, but the talk & text are working.

a-wai said recently their next 'reference' release was likely a month away, I will likely move my
  main sim card to a PMOS phone with that reference release installed on it, when that happens.

Some releases require more skills to be able to use, but I am testing the OSes that I am able use.
    For me,  I do like Mobian,  but I am not saying it will be everyones favorite.
     This is Linux,  So there are lots of choices.

BTW :  I am amazed,  not Frustrated with these great Developers,  But that is my Opinion !
Same here! How do we put those an AN apps back in their BOX? What really puzzled me is that it happened to me the same way as you the first time, after opening and then closing anbox. i reflashed the sd with a fresh image and by default the second time the anbox apps were spread out all over PHOSH.
(10-09-2020, 11:11 PM)bcnaz Wrote: BTW :  I am amazed,  not Frustrated with these great Developers,  But that is my Opinion !

@bcnaz I think everybody here is amazed about PP and what the developers are doing. This doesn't mean we cannot say what we think about PP being a daily driver. Many of us we think it is not, and it is still in development. We do not doubt you and many others are using it every day as your only phone.  For normal use of a phone this is not realistic (just read @Firefox-58 's wife experience [ https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11776 ] ).

But we think it is amazing! We thank the developers! and we hope one day will be ready! so let's push for it!
At the end of September, i tried the "big" four distros, UBPorts, Postmarket, Majaro and Mobian. Personaly, i dont care about the UI or the distribution as long as the phone does what it should. Also, i tried to find out, where the development happens (git, etc) and see what dev are changing on the code in the last weeks to get an overview and maybe estimate, when the software is ready. (ready meaning core functionality of course). There was a thread in the UBPorts subforum where i contributed in a rather frustrated manner. I feelt good reading this thread here, that i am not alone with that frustration and i read every post. For me, a good motto is: Love it, leave it or change it.

To sum up the problems and thougts that where mentioned:
  • development pace is to slow
  • firmware of the modem is big problems and is maybe a showstopper
  • long list of distributions
  • long list of UIs
  • long long list of combinations of distros and UIs
  • devs have not much time
  • devs should be paid by pine64 or the community
  • core functionality (calls and SMS) have the higest priority, then battery life
  • No one is blaming the devs that currently work on kernel and distro
But in the end, this thread derailed a litte bit. Now it is more about what is the most stable distribution and how can i achive this. Everyone had the chance to put the frustration on the table. And now? Again waiting that some day the situation will be better/fixed? By whom? For me in this situation and with the overview i have about the distributions and thier work, it is clear that we should not trust that the phone is "rescued" by any of them. UBPorts has a PinePhone specific bug tracker that in my eyes no one reads. The compatibility with PP is then improving more by accident, than planed. The most promesing is mobian, but there is mainly one guy working, which of course is stunning, but mainly one guy working. In my opinion, we need a strategy, a plan. Otherwise i see little to no future. We should take action and stop rely on other projects.

Is it helpfull, if we all donate to one distribution?
Should we pay one dev? on wich distrubution is he or she working?
Should we point out one "official" distro to focus work from interested devs?
Should we start a plattform to coordinate the development? Make an overview of the problems and how they can be solved?
Take care that development e.g. made from megi find its way in other distributions?
Am I wrong? I only want a success as much as you do.
(10-09-2020, 12:39 PM)fsflover Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 12:19 PM)natasha Wrote: Does megi have an account in this forum? I searched by megi but there is no one with this name.

It would be good hear from him, and answer some of our questions, comments, etc
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11525
thanks! thanks! ^10

I just start reading the Log, so interesting! I bookmarked and I will continue reading.
Those that can actually contribute to successful writing these operating systems 'should consider' stepping up,
  but that is a individuals  matter of 'choice'.

I myself, I am not qualified, Though  I do try to contribute by observing what I can and sharing what I see.

ALSO :  I have contributed to UBPorts in the past,  But, Now I am currently sending $upport to the Mobian Team.

Just my opinion, while these teams do share some of their advancements,  I prefer they do keep some Independence.

While hopefully they will listen to my suggestions or requests,  But I have no right to "demand" anything from them.

-------

The best Race cars are not built by everyone being on one team,  but rather by many teams competing on the racetrack.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I agree with what June, Natasha an BCnAZ have all said. However with regards to some of tbe feedback highlighted regarding modem firmware holding up progress, i am baffled. I have absolutely had call text and data functioning on every build for at least 3 months, mostly out of the box, sometimes with manually updating APN settings. However I am aware people may have different experiences with different carriers, but i dont really know if that's a pp issue, firmware, software, or carrier issue. My best bet is its a carrier band (spectrum) issue. Different carriers using different frequencies, though all can be categorized as 3g/4g. If thats it, it could be a software, firmware, or hardware matter. Doubt its hardware though. Just need to tell the phone what frequency to bands to loom for. If its not that, then its probable people who dont have signal may have in fact corrupted their modem while tinkering and could be in need of a firmware reflash.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone app development WhiteHexagon 15 4,019 04-23-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Jonnyc
  App Development rkveale 4 4,228 05-16-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: axel
Question Where are the development discussions at? mnjm97 2 3,803 08-28-2020, 01:19 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity