auto-cpufreq for better battery?
I just came across this utility called auto-cpufreq.

I admitedly don't know much about how the kernel manages the cpu frequency. However the consensus seems to be that Linux not efficient regarding to power consumption, at least by default on most distros.

So this utility monitors the cpu usage and system load and changes the governor, cpu max frequency and boost to the lowest suitable settings.
A demo by the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYRpVEEIlg

According to Jason from Linux for Everyone, it increased its battry life on his laptop by 2 hours peak. (Source)

I don't know how much current distro do to optimize power consumption on the PinePhone. I know there is CRUST but if I understood correctly it's mainly for when device is sleeping not actively doing something.

It may also help with some heat issues since if the cpu is going slower it produces less heat.

It might even help the Pinebook Pro and Pinetab.

Anyway, I'm putting this here in hope of helping someone somewhere.
(10-04-2020, 10:47 AM)Sciancisco Wrote: I just came across this utility called auto-cpufreq.

I admitedly don't know much about how the kernel manages the cpu frequency. However the consensus seems to be that Linux not efficient regarding to power consumption, at least by default on most distros.

So this utility monitors the cpu usage and system load and changes the governor, cpu max frequency and boost to the lowest suitable settings.
A demo by the creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYRpVEEIlg

According to Jason from Linux for Everyone, it increased its battry life on his laptop by 2 hours peak. (Source)

I don't know how much current distro do to optimize power consumption on the PinePhone. I know there is CRUST but if I understood correctly it's mainly for when device is sleeping not actively doing something.

It may also help with some heat issues since if the cpu is going slower it produces less heat.

It might even help the Pinebook Pro and Pinetab.

Anyway, I'm putting this here in hope of helping someone somewhere.
=====================================================
I am not expert in CPU/Battery management either but this is interesting. Thanks for this.

I assume this Github project is the same utility
https://github dot com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq

and this March 2020 article from Ostechnix
https://ostechnix dot com/automatically-optimize-cpu-speed-and-power-with-auto-cpufreq-in-linux/
The first thing to consider is optimal configuration of all parameters of an existing software system. The main consumers of power are the Quectel modem, WiFi chip, bluethooth and display.

When these are optimized, a standby time of 24 hours is possible.

In normal operation a cpu-governor already manages the voltage and clock frequency of the CPU's in such a way that upon low demand of CPU activity clocks are appropriately set to a minimum.

There is no use for additional strategies before all the basic problems are solved.
After that, the mentioned package might eventually be considered.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Megi's Kernel and Battery Life biketool 3 2,062 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  PinePhone Pro battery life Barugon 17 15,135 07-29-2022, 09:23 AM
Last Post: prog-amateur
  postmarketOS fixed battery issues Deadladyofclowntown 1 1,481 06-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Phone won't suspend, battery drains quickly nelstomlinson 12 6,952 04-05-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Anna
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 1,943 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe
  improve battery life on pine phone beta? taoschx 0 1,040 02-28-2022, 06:24 AM
Last Post: taoschx
  Guide to power off the Pinephone on low battery Ulfnic 1 1,511 02-06-2022, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ulfnic
Question Is there a way to increase the battery life of the PinePhone? Avisando 18 11,842 01-22-2022, 11:55 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Battery Charger? JesusGod-Pope666.Info 9 6,286 12-01-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: JesusGod-Pope666.Info
  Battery life: Maybe really a hardware issue? KNERD 34 20,961 09-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton