Pinephone speaker buzzing whenever power sent to it
Question 
Just recently received my pinephone (also my first phone. not sure if that was a good idea or not yet)
At first the internal speaker was not playing any sound whatsoever. I would click the test speaker button and nothing would happen. The earpiece worked fine so I didn't mind for awhile.
After I got it connected to a cellular network, I decided to open it up to see if I could see anything obviously wrong, like a fly in between the contacts or misalignment or something. My understanding of circuits is high school physics level, so this was probably stupid also.
I didn't see anything, so I closed it up again, and it magically started outputting sound.

However, now both the speaker and the earpiece buzz uncontrollably whenever they're active.
When I select each one to test, even before playing any sound it buzzes. the earpiece is better, but still noticeable.

I've already inspected it for signs of being blown, but I didn't see any obvious holes or uneven vibrating.

So, what do you guys think the problem is, and how should I fix it? Is there a better way to detect a blow?

thanks in advance

[edit]
it is actually quite bearable with the soft case on. I'm still concerned, but it's not longer a big deal.

[edit 2]

Would a high pitched whining noise have anything to do with the battery being drained?
if not then we're back to it being a problem.
(10-03-2020, 10:16 PM)WaldoTheRanger Wrote: Just recently received my pinephone (also my first phone. not sure if that was a good idea or not yet)
At first the internal speaker was not playing any sound whatsoever. I would click the test speaker button and nothing would happen. The earpiece worked fine so I didn't mind for awhile.
After I got it connected to a cellular network, I decided to open it up to see if I could see anything obviously wrong, like a fly in between the contacts or misalignment or something. My understanding of circuits is high school physics level, so this was probably stupid also.
I didn't see anything, so I closed it up again, and it magically started outputting sound.

However, now both the speaker and the earpiece buzz uncontrollably whenever they're active.
When I select each one to test, even before playing any sound it buzzes. the earpiece is better, but still noticeable.

I've already inspected it for signs of being blown, but I didn't see any obvious holes or uneven vibrating.

So, what do you guys think the problem is, and how should I fix it? Is there a better way to detect a blow?

thanks in advance

[edit]
it is actually quite bearable with the soft case on. I'm still concerned, but it's not longer a big deal.

[edit 2]

Would a high pitched whining noise have anything to do with the battery being drained?
You do not state what distribution you use, so I assume it is postmarketOS stored in emmc. I would suggest that you install a recent distribution of mobian on sdxc card and test sound that way.
Most probably that problem will be gone.
(10-05-2020, 03:41 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 10:16 PM)WaldoTheRanger Wrote: Just recently received my pinephone (also my first phone. not sure if that was a good idea or not yet)

thanks in advance

[edit]

[edit 2]

You do not state what distribution you use, so I assume it is postmarketOS stored in emmc. I would suggest that you install a recent distribution of mobian on sdxc card and test sound that way.
Most probably that problem will be gone.
I'm actually using manjaro off of an sd card for the most part right now. I have tested postmarket on emmc though, and it did the same thing.
for some reason when I used that fonky 13 os multibook sd card mobian didn't play sound at all, and neither did ubuntu (though ubuntu did make that weird whining noise when starting up)
actually postmarket/phosh didn't play anything on that card either. I'm guessing that's broken. I'll try to get some real installs for testing in a bit.

actually it seems to have gotten a lot better after just one stability update on manjaro. I find it bizarre that something like that could be caused by a software bug, but alright.
(10-06-2020, 12:53 AM)WaldoTheRanger Wrote: I find it bizarre that something like that could be caused by a software bug, but alright.
When generating a sound on any computer the software must calculate the precise voltage to be output at least 20'000 times per second.

When there is the slightest fault in that calculation you get distortions or other noise...
I remember back in the mid to late 90s, it was common for many Linux audio drivers to actually put out clicking sounds when the hard disk was being accessed. Lots of things are possible with new drivers on new platforms.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs

thanks in advance

[edit]

[edit 2]

I would suspect a hardware problem,

I have one Brave Heart and three PMOS Convergent phones,  even with trying different operating systems

I have never encountered any strange noises coming from any of them.

If anything, I have only had the occasional,  "No Sound" problem.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 550 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 345 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 230 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,929 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,783 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 602 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,340 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 493 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,680 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  control power management aular 0 504 12-16-2023, 12:16 PM