Sim cards and carriers, discussion
(10-30-2020, 12:33 AM)desca Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 09:53 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 12:28 PM)desca Wrote: I thought I’d seen T-Mobile a few months ago talking about wanting to drop 2G/3G at the end of 2020? Did they announce pushing it out a little bit?
Quite the opposite. Current press release now says Jan 1 2021. Hadn't seen the update. They just keep pushing that date forward...

Where was the press release? I was never able to find anything making it official.
https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content...mage-1.png

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/25...p-lightbox
(10-30-2020, 02:18 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 12:33 AM)desca Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 09:53 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 12:28 PM)desca Wrote: I thought I’d seen T-Mobile a few months ago talking about wanting to drop 2G/3G at the end of 2020? Did they announce pushing it out a little bit?
Quite the opposite. Current press release now says Jan 1 2021. Hadn't seen the update. They just keep pushing that date forward...

Where was the press release? I was never able to find anything making it official.
https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content...mage-1.png

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/25...p-lightbox

Ah, the not-denied leak… Interesting where they said they’d starting texting people with old phones to warn them soon, as I’ve not heard of that happening yet and October’s nearly over.
I received my Pinephone Manjor CE today. As with other folks, no software on phone. Flashed Manjaro to an SDX card. Picked up a bring your own phone prepaid Simkit and activated. I can now send and receive chats. However, when I try to make a phone call, it tells me that number is not authorized on this line, regardless of the number I call.
I've been having trouble connecting my PinePhone (Manjaro) to my AT&T service (4G, Eastern US). A summary of my experiences (currently running Arch, but there was no real difference from Manjaro)...

Using mmcli's --simple-connect option (together with journalctl) shows that the connection almost works, but seems to get rejected eventually (I even see the 4G icon -- the phone is definitely aware of the network), usually with the QMI error "CallFailed".

I tried registering a new sim card in an online form with AT&T, but the web page reports something like "Device Not Found" when I enter my IMEI.

In talking to an AT&T tech for a little while, he suggested that he could manually enter the IMEI. While exploring this option, he noticed that AT&T seems to consider the Quectel Modem (model EG25-G, at least) to be an "internet only" (or "data only") device, that AT&T wouldn't support phone calls and SMS messages on it, and this might be the source of the problem. I didn't want to mess up my existing line, so we ended up not trying the manual IMEI registration.

Disappointing, but maybe informative. Has anyone had a similar experience?
(11-04-2020, 03:29 PM)brom Wrote: I've been having trouble connecting my PinePhone (Manjaro) to my AT&T service (4G, Eastern US). A summary of my experiences (currently running Arch, but there was no real difference from Manjaro)...

Using mmcli's --simple-connect option (together with journalctl) shows that the connection almost works, but seems to get rejected eventually (I even see the 4G icon -- the phone is definitely aware of the network), usually with the QMI error "CallFailed".

I tried registering a new sim card in an online form with AT&T, but the web page reports something like "Device Not Found" when I enter my IMEI.

In talking to an AT&T tech for a little while, he suggested that he could manually enter the IMEI. While exploring this option, he noticed that AT&T seems to consider the Quectel Modem (model EG25-G, at least) to be an "internet only" (or "data only") device, that AT&T wouldn't support phone calls and SMS messages on it, and this might be the source of the problem. I didn't want to mess up my existing line, so we ended up not trying the manual IMEI registration.

AT&T is using whitelists to determine who gets what access to their network. The Pinephone does support VoLTE. So your best bet would be to use an MVNO that doesn't care and register an android or iphone with the sim if submitting an IMEI is required, then putting that sim in the pinephone.

Adjusting APN settings may also fix the problem.
(10-22-2020, 02:29 AM)marcih Wrote: I don't have my PinePhone yet, I'll be sure to post my experiences with multiple different European carriers when I do. In the meantime, how is roaming? I don't know if this applies to the US but in Europe, every time you travel abroad, you roam to a visitor network. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I'll answer my own question in case somebody from Europe comes across this thread: there don't seem to be any issues with roaming in Europe. I'm currently using a Vodafone CZ SIM card connected to the "vodafone NL" 2G network, texts and calls to and from both CZ and NL numbers from a variety of carriers work fine, the phone wakes up immediately and gives me the notification and UI for picking up the call respectively. I've also tested connection to the 4G network (haven't tested calls and texts on it though) but I have not tested cellular data. I'll also try a native Dutch carrier but I'm not expecting any issues.
(11-04-2020, 03:29 PM)brom Wrote: I've been having trouble connecting my PinePhone (Manjaro) to my AT&T service (4G, Eastern US). A summary of my experiences (currently running Arch, but there was no real difference from Manjaro)...

<SNIP>

I have an Inland Cellular SIM card. Inland is NOT an MVNO and Inland owns the only towers and provides the only cellular service in my part of rural Idaho, US.

My PinePhone receives an Inland 4G signal and Internet data works, but voice and SMS text are completely non-functional (inbound and outbound). I really wanted PinePhone to work and I'm very disappointed. (I will give up mobile phones entirely rather than use a spy phone, even though the telecom networks still spy on those of us with PinePhones anyway.)

I also tried an old, no longer subscribed Verizon SIM card some miles away where Verizon towers are visible. It too produced a good 4G signal bar indication, but I have no idea whether or not Verizon would work because the subscription has expired.

I posted more details here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12147
(11-13-2020, 02:06 PM)calinb Wrote:

<SNIP>

I have an Inland Cellular SIM card. Inland is NOT an MVNO and Inland owns the only towers and provides the only cellular service in my part of rural Idaho, US.

My PinePhone receives an Inland 4G signal and Internet data works, but voice and SMS text are completely non-functional (inbound and outbound). I really wanted PinePhone to work and I'm very disappointed. (I will give up mobile phones entirely rather than use a spy phone, even though the telecom networks still spy on those of us with PinePhones anyway.)

I also tried an old, no longer subscribed Verizon SIM card some miles away where Verizon towers are visible. It too produced a good 4G signal bar indication, but I have no idea whether or not Verizon would work because the subscription has expired.

I posted more details here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12147
Several people have gotten verizon to work completely including calls in multiple forum threads.

Need more details about Inland to troubleshoot. Are they gsm, cdma, or 4g LTE only?

Edit: See your other thread
One forum member mentioned going to the Verizon store,
the clerk there activated a sim card for him,
using a in store 'junk' phone to activate the card.

That worked for him, but I don't know if every
Verizon store would offer that service.?

another suggested "buying a cheap iphone to activate the sim card"
but that sounds expensive to me ?
(11-14-2020, 05:38 PM)bcnaz Wrote: One forum member mentioned going to the Verizon store,
  the clerk there activated a sim card for him,   
      using a in store 'junk' phone to activate the card.

That worked for him, but I don't know if every
Verizon store would offer that service.?

another suggested "buying a cheap iphone to activate the sim card"
  but that sounds expensive to me ?
rocket2nfinity got me straightened out in my other thread (https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12147).

I've never had such great service from Verizon, but my local Inland Cellular store loaned me an entire phone so I could check signal indications, APN settings, etc., and move the SIM card back and forth between the loaner and my PinePhone! No forms to fill out or promises made--the tech just handed me the loaner Samsung phone and assumed I'd return it when I no longer need it (which I will, of course). Wow! Heart

Sadly I've learned from rocket2nfinity that CDMA voice and text only work with the PinePhone with VoLTE and VoLTE is still under development at Inland. I'll probably cancel my subscription until Inland gets it working, but I guess it's required by the industry by Jan. 2022.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,250 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,976 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,645 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  UK Carriers Zweitaktmotor 4 2,892 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Dog House Dave
  Carriers do not support PinePhone? rey70 22 12,823 02-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  pinephone 2 specs discussion - 5G WiFi6 BT5 NFC? - mitcoes 17 16,387 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Mobile Carriers 67comet 29 27,359 07-14-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pinephone inexpensive carriers and free carriers linux_n 8 8,754 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Cannot boot from SD cards any longer. MadHopsMan 8 7,033 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Avatars
  Performance improvements, discussion Soong 1 2,206 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic