Sim cards and carriers, discussion
I thought I had successfully posted this question yesterday, but see no trace of it now (i seem to be having some difficulty in posting a "reply" to the main thread after posting a quoted reply to a specific msg) so here I go again:
Has anyone tried to activate a Pine phone with US Cellular? I have some land in rural Virginia where USC is the "only game in town", which I understand is also true in a great deal of West Virginia.
(12-23-2020, 01:50 PM)samiam Wrote: I thought I had successfully posted this question yesterday, but see no trace of it now (i seem to be having some difficulty in posting a "reply" to the main thread after posting a quoted reply to a specific msg)
Even if you look here?
https://forum.pine64.org/search.php?acti...6a31288ffd

I doubt that this type of question would trigger any kind of censorship (unless that Virginia carrier really doesn't want anyone to know they have a monopoly in your area, which I doubt they'd care).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Not sure what you are trying to say here. For me, the link you furnished yields a search page showing this result "An invalid search was specified. Please go back and try again." If you concluded that I did not try the search function before posting my question, you are incorrect. The problem with that is that the forum search does not seem to have an option to return only instances of a complete phrase. The number of threads that contain posts with both the words "us" and "cellular" but do not contain the phrase "us cellular" is quite large... I have no clue what your reference to censorship means. I was not at all claiming that my first post on this topic might have been censored, merely that my poor understanding of the mechanics of this forum might have led to it not getting posted successfully. If I thought that there was the slightest possibility that a cell service provider could dictate what can and cannot be posted to this forum, I wouldn't be wasting my time here. 

Quote:    samiam Wrote:
    I thought I had successfully posted this question yesterday, but see no trace of it now (i seem to be having some difficulty in posting a "reply" to the main thread after posting a quoted reply to a specific msg)

Quote:Even if you look here?
https://forum.pine64.org/search.php?acti...6a31288ffd

I doubt that this type of question would trigger any kind of censorship (unless that Virginia carrier really doesn't want anyone to know they have a monopoly in your area, which I doubt they'd care).
(12-26-2020, 10:39 AM)samiam Wrote: Not sure what you are trying to say here. For me, the link you furnished yields a search page showing this result "An invalid search was specified. Please go back and try again." If you concluded that I did not try the search function before posting my question, you are incorrect. The problem with that is that the forum search does not seem to have an option to return only instances of a complete phrase. The number of threads that contain posts with both the words "us" and "cellular" but do not contain the phrase "us cellular" is quite large... I have no clue what your reference to censorship means. I was not at all claiming that my first post on this topic might have been censored, merely that my poor understanding of the mechanics of this forum might have led to it not getting posted successfully. If I thought that there was the slightest possibility that a cell service provider could dictate what can and cannot be posted to this forum, I wouldn't be wasting my time here. 
Apparently the URL no longer works, it worked at the time of posting.
Going to your own profile → Additonal Info About samiam → Find All Posts.
That's what I meant to link to, not the search functionality.

Please understand that I'm not a native speaker of English or any Indo-European language for that matter, it's not like I was trying to insult you in any way.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Using PinePhone UBPorts CE with Vodafone Italia carrier.
On UBports:
- With 2g/3g calls and sms are working fine.
- Same with 2g/3g/4g but i suppose because it uses 3g.
- Mobile data is always greyed out and can't be activated even after setting APN.

On Mobian and PostmarketOS installed on SDcards:
- Didn't test 2g.
- With 3G only everything works fine. I can make/receive calls, send/receive sms and use mobile data.
- With 4G only i can't make/receive calls, i can send sms but to receive them or it takes very long or i have to reboot the phone. Mobile data instead keep working fine.

Is it reliable to use 3G only?
I am currently using the Straight Talk GSM SIM Card (AT&T)
No issues with the PinePhone at all. 
Works perfectly and all you need to do is create a new APN and instead MVNO, name it ereseller and you will have full mobile data.
(02-04-2021, 03:43 PM)Bubbawan Kenobi Wrote: I am currently using the Straight Talk GSM SIM Card (AT&T)
No issues with the PinePhone at all. 
Works perfectly and all you need to do is create a new APN and instead MVNO, name it ereseller and you will have full mobile data.
With VoLTE working? And you haven't gotten kicked off like others on AT&T direct and Cricket?
(12-06-2020, 07:30 AM)ryo Wrote: For Japan providers:
SoftBank: doesn't work. They literally can only support iPhone, Android, and garake (which are flip phones, which all run AOSP Android if they support 4G LTE, WiFi, or both).
Rakuten Mobile: works! No IMEI locking, no specific OS only, no other shinanigans. And on top of that they're way cheaper too. Although just like with SoftBank, their ID verification AI can't read my ID, so I had to let SAGAWA (one of the many postal service companies) verify at the front door instead.

Docomo appears to work, too! I haven't tested it extensively since swapping the SIM and adapter in and out is a pain, but Docomo sent me a text with a URL to get the APN info. After configuring that, mobile data worked.

I sent and received texts and received a couple voice calls. Making a call failed, but I've been too busy to test it again.
PinePhone Mobian Community Edition (2 GB/16 GB)
I have a consumer cellular simcard working successfully in a manjaro/kde pinephone.  I don't like the "spacebar"  and "chats" app. on the kde.  I  would like to find a port of android Chomp app for linux.  No mms on pinephone.  There is no provision to add an attachment to a text message on these apps.
(03-09-2021, 06:17 PM)mini-DIN Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 07:30 AM)ryo Wrote: For Japan providers:
SoftBank: doesn't work. They literally can only support iPhone, Android, and garake (which are flip phones, which all run AOSP Android if they support 4G LTE, WiFi, or both).
Rakuten Mobile: works! No IMEI locking, no specific OS only, no other shinanigans. And on top of that they're way cheaper too. Although just like with SoftBank, their ID verification AI can't read my ID, so I had to let SAGAWA (one of the many postal service companies) verify at the front door instead.

Docomo appears to work, too! I haven't tested it extensively since swapping the SIM and adapter in and out is a pain, but Docomo sent me a text with a URL to get the APN info. After configuring that, mobile data worked.

I sent and received texts and received a couple voice calls. Making a call failed, but I've been too busy to test it again.
I recently found out that it's just SoftBank that is causing problems.
I was looking for a LINE Mobile SIM, they give you the choice between SoftBank, NTT docomo, and au, and they only need to know the IMEI and OS for SoftBank while registering, they don't ask this information for the other 2.

Rakuten Mobile runs on the NTT docomo network (I noticed that when I tried Plasma Mobile from micro SD for the first time).
However, there is 1 side effect: while riding 京葉線 (Keiyo line), there is no connection at all in 浦安市 (Urayasu, the entire city), so if you want to visit Tokyo Disney or Disney Sea, I can guarantee you that mobile data will NOT work at the park!
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,249 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,969 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,643 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  UK Carriers Zweitaktmotor 4 2,888 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Dog House Dave
  Carriers do not support PinePhone? rey70 22 12,819 02-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  pinephone 2 specs discussion - 5G WiFi6 BT5 NFC? - mitcoes 17 16,370 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Mobile Carriers 67comet 29 27,352 07-14-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pinephone inexpensive carriers and free carriers linux_n 8 8,751 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Cannot boot from SD cards any longer. MadHopsMan 8 7,032 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Avatars
  Performance improvements, discussion Soong 1 2,204 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic