Pinecil -> Pinegun?
Lightbulb 
There was some discussion about hot glue guns in the PineTime channel, the consensus seemed to be that it's generally very annoying because the glue guns are very annoying to use. They get too hot, warm up slow, overheat the glue and other various annoyances.

Now the idea is simple, maybe Pine64 could provide a Pinecil but for hot glue. Similar features would be nice - temperature control, motion/inactivity detection, some nice microcontroller with USB-PD/barrel power supply. 

What do you think?
(09-28-2020, 05:50 PM)Avamander Wrote: There was some discussion about hot glue guns in the PineTime channel, the consensus seemed to be that it's generally very annoying because the glue guns are very annoying to use. They get too hot, warm up slow, overheat the glue and other various annoyances.

Now the idea is simple, maybe Pine64 could provide a Pinecil but for hot glue. Similar features would be nice - temperature control, motion/inactivity detection, some nice microcontroller with USB-PD/barrel power supply. 

What do you think?

One project at a time especially at the current pandemic era. Once Pinecil release on November lets check out how the project leads us.
(09-30-2020, 03:17 PM)tllim Wrote: One project at a time especially at the current pandemic era. Once Pinecil release on November lets check out how the project leads us.

Sure thing, when would be a nice time to bump this thread again?
I registered just to bump this thread and let you know what a great idea it is/was.  I was going to register to create a new thread, but Avamander apparently had the same idea I did.  My TS100 has made soldering for a repair super easy.  I used to avoid fixing/making things because I didn't want to wait 5-10 minutes for my old weller to heat up.  The TS100 heats up in like 20 seconds so I can plug it in, so by the time I get things organized it's ready to go.  It's also great to have the ability to change heat settings great - board work and splicing wires require totally different heat settings.  It's great to KNOW that the iron is set up right for the job.  I'm looking forward to having a pinecil too (if they ever come back in stock) so I can keep different tips on the different irons.

I'd love for a similar upgraded experience for hot glue.  While 20 seconds probably isn't do-able to get a hot glue gun ready, it would be nice to have it ready in 45 seconds to a minute. My current gun probably takes 3-4 minutes or better.  I'd like to have the ability to set it for low temp glue vs high temp glue and get the temp just right.  I glue foamboard together for a strange variety of projects (RC Planes, theatre props, etc), and my current glue gun will melt the foam at it's 100w setting, but isn't hot enough at it's 60w setting... i usually wind up switching it between it's settings several times during my project.    Something like a 500w pinegun or pinehotglue or PineHoG with almost the same software as the pinecil would be WONDERFUL to have.  Please consider making one.  No one seems to make such a product.  Hot glue guns are mostly on/off devices, or 2 settings (hi/low) devices.  I did find one that has a horrible wheel thingee that doesn't really set a temp, just a potentiometer like many soldering irons had.  I think there would be a real market for a digitally temp controlled hot glue gun.
This would be a good idea anyway, hot glue guns are usually dumb devices which can be easily overheated.

It reminds me when I have bought my first USB-powered soldering iron and thought it has low power, but may be suitable for small works - no, it wasn't suitable at all as it lacked every kind of temperature control and its problem was not its low power but overheating...
Pinecil (and TS100 for sure) solves this problem, mine has just arrived and I like it.

Hot guns still need to be designed with proper temperature control as they generally have the very same problem what I had with my first USB-powered soldering iron. Smile
Hope they won't get overboard and end up with something like ¥ 70,000 wheels.
Probably nobody is this insane to make such a thing, right?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-29-2020, 03:43 PM)joelspangler Wrote: My current glue gun will melt the foam at it's 100w setting, but isn't hot enough at it's 60w setting... i usually wind up switching it between it's settings several times during my project.    Something like a 500w pinegun or pinehotglue or PineHoG with almost the same software as the pinecil would be WONDERFUL to have.

I really doubt that even 60W wouldn't be sufficient if it just were properly regulated. It's a ton of heat already. Half a kilowatt would be a total overkill, that's vaporization-tier heat on full blast.
(01-04-2021, 03:52 PM)Avamander Wrote: I really doubt that even 60W wouldn't be sufficient if it just were properly regulated. It's a ton of heat already. Half a kilowatt would be a total overkill, that's vaporization-tier heat on full blast.

I guess I was going by manufacturer watt ratings, which seem to get crazier (less truthful) with every generation of product that comes out.  

I used my hot glue gun today - left it on 100w to get it hot faster and didn't get back to it fast enough.  Glue was boiling and melted my foam when I put some out.  I had to unplug it and wait 5 minutes before it was usable.... a pine glue gun would be REALLY nice.  Are these forums the best way to make the request, or is there some other method that might get more attention from pine employees?

Another product that would be nice would be a heating pad (like us old people need when our backs hurt).  Granted, a heating pad would be a little harder because it's such a large area and you'd need multiple sensors, but I think it would still be do-able.  With a high/medium/low heating pad, it's really hard to get it right.. you have to manually time things just right for when to switch from the hottest setting down to medium, or it gets too hot and you're sweating. Medium doesn't keep things quite warm enough, so you have to switch back and forth to keep the right temp... this is certainly an annoyance for something that could fairly easily be automated by folks with the right skills.
(01-16-2021, 04:36 PM)joelspangler Wrote: I had to unplug it and wait 5 minutes before it was usable.... a pine glue gun would be REALLY nice.  Are these forums the best way to make the request, or is there some other method that might get more attention from pine employees?

I've encountered the same exact problem. They heat up too slow, and then they overheat. It's also super dangerous to give to kids because it way hotter in the end than it should be.

(01-16-2021, 04:36 PM)joelspangler Wrote: I had to unplug it and wait 5 minutes before it was usable.... a pine glue gun would be REALLY nice.  Are these forums the best way to make the request, or is there some other method that might get more attention from pine employees?

This is a fairly good method probably. But it would most likely be more effective if we could prove that there's profitable amount of demand for such a product. Not sure how to do that.
This would be awesome! Particularly if it used a pair of swappable 18650s.

But the mechanical aspect would kind of make or break it.   A really good one should have a proper narrow conical tip, some means of reducing dripping (Maybe even by angling upwards when unused?), etc.

Making it ultra compact (Maybe only one 18650 is better) would be a major selling point too.

You could also have no battery at all and fully rely on a USB-C power bank.  Most glue guns use small ceramic heaters, but a very small gun with PID controlled 60W heating could probably heat up in a real hurry, and it would be one less internal battery to weigh everything down.

Maybe a pen style one like the Bosch gluepen(Oh how I wish they weren't so expensive in the US) would be best.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation What is this - Pinecil V3? andrea6 2 5,728 12-19-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tllim
  on pinepower, pinecil stopped working.. sanderboer 1 1,055 09-23-2022, 03:47 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Just got my Pinecil donwynne 1 1,521 04-22-2022, 07:01 AM
Last Post: bbeeast
  Pinecil Broken? skaaq 4 5,799 01-25-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: skaaq
  Pinecil stuck in shipping? mbreese 3 4,638 01-07-2021, 07:46 AM
Last Post: moxx
  Pinecil - Tip Disconnected molzy 2 4,452 01-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Last Post: molzy
  Pinecil arrived VaZso 0 2,315 12-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Last Post: VaZso
  Just got my Pinecil EricL 0 1,889 12-10-2020, 02:38 PM