Abuse of downvotes
Suggestion:  It seems that if posts rather than reputation were able to be voted up it could make more
valuable/useful posts more visible and discoverable.
Just one more rule would suffice: "You shall not downvote". Reasonable people will remove their negative reputation, and suddenly everyone is on good terms. We've actually seen this happen here recently.

Oh and just one more rule of that's even what it is: don't break the rules, or be banned.
(09-25-2020, 11:21 AM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 03:32 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: @Luke

Is there any way to permanently block someone? Due to my, and many others, responses to a certain forum individual they have been on a down vote/negative rating crusade and have sought out every post I have basically made in order to negatively rate them.

I have ignored that person via the control panel, but that has no effect judging by the 10 negative reputations in basically 2 days.

I mean I know reputation is fake internet points, but this is getting harassing.

I'm having the same thing with LinAdmin2...

I wrote the moderators, ignored the user and haved held back at replying to his even accosting replies to me personally.

I called him an asshole; so I do deserve ONE negative. Tongue But... when it walks like a duck...

I, also, hope the mods would decide to refund the multiples of negatives by one user. I have like 7. Only from one user, with no other negative reports. Duh...

I only hate that this is even a thing we have to bother the mods with - like they have real issues to deal with like the store, bringing us more cool hardware and etc.

But, I am glad and think we needed to post about this ONE user. I bet you are talking about the same person.

Over and over and over and over isn't fair.

Linadmin2 is the person harassing me also. Big shock he is doing it to most people.

(09-25-2020, 12:06 PM)Luke Wrote: As the community grows It appears that we'll have to set up a series of more stringent rules for people to follow .... which, frankly speaking, is a bummer.
As for the up/down votes - I am happy to get rid of them as I cannot see them serving any real purpose.
I'll start a vote in the community section.

edit: started a poll here

Please do.

It sucks that they are abused.
(09-25-2020, 02:10 PM)LazLong Wrote: Suggestion:  It seems that if posts rather than reputation were able to be voted up it could make more
valuable/useful posts more visible and discoverable.

In theory that's what's happening. You can vote posts up/down from the thread, and users themselves from their profile page, but mostly people are using the former. There's just no ready interface for listing <time period>'s posts ranked by number of upvotes, even though the information is in the database.

Plus-voting is gameable too, through tit-for-tat upvoting or multi-accounting. But it doesn't cause the strife that negging does, people tend to like it, and it can encourage people to contribute. If there's going to be a successor "like" system, I'd like to see the existing post upvotes imported into it so people don't feel they've lost what they've earned.

Would it be possible to run a script server-side once an hour that scans the user database for downvotes, deletes them, and sends an automated PM to the downvoter letting them know that that half of the system is no longer to be used, and will not persist even if they do? Then the mods wouldn't have to do anything.

I don't blame LinAdmin for this. It started with them getting downvote-bombed by multiple users for expressing unpopular sentiments, then they downvoted back (and there was no clearly posted rule against that), and then multiple users discovered that they could carpet-downvote and nothing would happen, and several people started doing it.
(09-25-2020, 11:21 AM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 03:32 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: @Luke

Is there any way to permanently block someone? Due to my, and many others, responses to a certain forum individual they have been on a down vote/negative rating crusade and have sought out every post I have basically made in order to negatively rate them.

I have ignored that person via the control panel, but that has no effect judging by the 10 negative reputations in basically 2 days.

I mean I know reputation is fake internet points, but this is getting harassing.

I'm having the same thing with LinAdmin2...

I wrote the moderators, ignored the user and haved held back at replying to his even accosting replies to me personally.

I called him an asshole; so I do deserve ONE negative. Tongue But... when it walks like a duck...

I, also, hope the mods would decide to refund the multiples of negatives by one user. I have like 7. Only from one user, with no other negative reports. Duh...

I only hate that this is even a thing we have to bother the mods with - like they have real issues to deal with like the store, bringing us more cool hardware and etc.

But, I am glad and think we needed to post about this ONE user. I bet you are talking about the same person.

Over and over and over and over isn't fair.
It is very enlightening to see that the gang of warriors who could not endure my publication about the obligations of pin64.org regarding the deficient pmOS software recently delivered now start crying because I followed their path and downvoted all those who started this silly battle.

I won't be muted by this tactic and getting labels like dicklicker motivates me not to surrender.
@tophneal @Luke So no sooner than i post this and oh look more downvotes on old posts by linadmin2. The sad part is im not even surprised.

Classy

https://imgur.com/a/k2a5UTQ

This guy breaks all of the community guideliness that have been established.

@Dendrocalamus64
I mean it's not an opinion when he did zero research on what he was buying, and constantly complains about it and makes threats to pine64.

Another forum member literally offered to buy his phone from him so he wouldn't have to deal with it, and complain anymore.

Yet here he still is, complaining, trolling and harassing
Well, people tried downvoting as a "nudge", and it appears it didn't help and just made him angry. I don't see this as unforeseeable or unexpected. We've tried it, one more time. With the benefit of experience, did it help?

If you think somebody is trolling, but they're not breaking the rules sufficiently to be banned, it's best to just stop responding.
Abuse is widespread in forum communities. Downwoting is only a small thing. I experienced flag as spam, flag as inapropriate, post deletion, inactivation of account. It happens especially when someone has a product which is more attractive than the product the company sells you are posting in. In case of trouble, I recommend to start your own blow, where evil persons cannot harm you Angry .
simple rules, three strikes, then ban should solve these problems, ya?

i find the upvotes mildly useful at times, but i admit not knowing downvotes were a thing.
The upvotes are *very* useful.  Here's why:

When someone says something, and you need to show acknowledgement, you can simply upvote, and it doesn't clutter up the thread.  Else you have to add a post, "Thank you" or "That's very helpful" or "Kudos" or "Roger" or "+1".  To compound the problem, others that agree will also add such posts.  Before you know it, half the thread is "+1SmileSmileSmile" posts.