"No network" on new UBPorts community edition pinephone
Thanks in advance for any help!

I just recently received this Pinephone, here in Australia. Phone cannot make/receive calls & SMS, as it does not detect the telco's network - in fact, it clearly says "NO NETWORK". This was the case with the preinstalled version of Ubuntu Touch, and did not improve just now after I tried an updated version of UT I downloaded from UBports on 2nd Sept (#76, I think), and I followed UBPorts' directions for flashing the SD card.

Other things I've tried / checked:
Turning phone on / off
re-seating SIM card
SIM card works fine in another handset
DIP switches on the back of the phone are all in the 'up' position (I haven't touched them at all)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken.
I understand if you want to stay with the Ubuntu,
        however perhaps you could try flashing the Mobian operating system to sd card ?

It seems to work great for me,  works without any developer skills.

( just check through all the settings on the settings page,   and fill-in and "Save" the APN info for data use)

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 05 Stable and Nightly Release September 25 are good bets
(09-25-2020, 04:03 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I understand if you want to stay with the Ubuntu,
        however perhaps you could try flashing the Mobian operating system to sd card ?

It seems to work great for me,  works without any developer skills.

( just check through all the settings on the settings page,   and fill-in and "Save" the APN info for data use)

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 05 Stable and Nightly Release September 25 are good bets

Thanks for the tip, bcnaz!

I'll happily give Mobian a try, and am downloading it now. I will post back here once I have it installed.

At some stage, I'd like to see Ubuntu Touch working well on this phone (especially since it came preinstalled with it), but I will give other OS's a go as well.

I'll also file a bug report to help the UT developers as well over on Gitlab.

Many thanks,
Ken.
Professorsnapper :

That should give you something to compare with,  hopefully it is only a software issue.

Testing from the sd cards is fairly painless,  and will not have any effect on the installed
  operating system.
(09-24-2020, 11:09 PM)professorsnapper Wrote: Thanks in advance for any help!

I just recently received this Pinephone, here in Australia. Phone cannot make/receive calls & SMS, as it does not detect the telco's network - in fact, it clearly says "NO NETWORK". This was the case with the preinstalled version of Ubuntu Touch, and did not improve just now after I tried an updated version of UT I downloaded from UBports on 2nd Sept (#76, I think), and I followed UBPorts' directions for flashing the SD card.

Other things I've tried / checked:
Turning phone on / off
re-seating SIM card
SIM card works fine in another handset
DIP switches on the back of the phone are all in the 'up' position (I haven't touched them at all)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken.
Try upgrading to the latest development channel, that would be version 218. For me it fixed a lot of issues. Calling and Wifi works without problems, the phone is awakened by call or notifications, Morph browser behaves amazingly. As well, please check your antenna cable connection, some users had this problem. Hope it helps.
I had a similar problem: manual searching for networks showed me a the right carrier, but i could not connect.

It was a simple hardware issue, the antenna was not connected.

How i fixed:

Open the backlid, remove the battery and remove all screws. One screw is sealed for warranty reasons. As warranty is very limited i ignored and opened. The plastic frame can easyly be removed, just has some hooks.
On the left side the antenna cable was disconnected from the mainboard. I gently reconnected and reassebled the phone.

After reboot i could see more carriers and i could connect.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 678 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,425 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 655 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,676 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,721 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,296 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 3,089 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  online accounts in UBports Uturn 2 4,068 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UBPorts Not Working Pinoideae 7 9,311 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  How to enable Ethernet with UBPorts and convergence dock? piney-tim 1 2,946 11-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: piney-tim