apt-get command not found
Hi,

I'm on my brand new pine book pro with the default OS. In the wiki the instructions in says to update the firmware with commands using apt-get https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro#Keyboard

I get apt-get command not found. Since I'm following the wiki I assume these are accurate instruction, although it does say this is for 2019 models. How can I fix this?
I guess this isn't a super up to date wiki. It just says, I see know, that using other distro will have to use diff instructions (but sadly does not provide them)
It says: "Everyone with a Pinebook Pro produced in 2019 should update their keyboard and trackpad firmware."
If you have a brand-new one, it comes with the new firmware and it shouldn't need to be updated.
Manjaro uses pamac (or pacman) package manager rather than apt. (I was accustom to apt but I'm getting to know pamac and it's not so bad ) Smile

I'm pretty sure that new PBPs don't need that firmware update. (Someone please correct this if it's a wrong assumption) Smile

I have not updated my firmware (first Manjaro batch) and it all works fine.

Additionally, I was weary of the coil whine some users experienced after doing that update and I didn't have any problems to start with. (Someone please correct this if it's a wrong assumption) Smile

Cheers!
(09-22-2020, 10:40 PM)MtnSk8 Wrote: I'm pretty sure that new PBPs don't need that firmware update. (Someone please correct this if it's a wrong assumption) Smile

No need to update firmware on latest manjaro

(09-22-2020, 02:57 PM)motezart Wrote: I'm on my brand new pine book pro with the default OS. In the wiki the instructions in says to update the firmware with commands using apt-get

Just type

Code:
pacman -Syu

and you're good
Doesn't the Manjaro package manager app also provide firmware updates when available?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
>Doesn't the Manjaro package manager app also provide firmware updates when available?
For the kbd firmware,,No. This is closed source.
For uboot, idbloader, copies to /boot, up to you to install
Big Grin 
(09-23-2020, 08:17 AM)wdt Wrote: >Doesn't the Manjaro package manager app also provide firmware updates when available?
For the kbd firmware,,No.  This is closed source.
For uboot, idbloader, copies to /boot, up to you to install

That's the reason I prefer pacman over pamac GUI... It remembers you to dd u-boot files  Big Grin
(09-22-2020, 02:57 PM)motezart Wrote: Hi,

I'm on my brand new pine book pro with the default OS. In the wiki the instructions in says to update the firmware with commands using apt-get https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro#Keyboard

I get apt-get command not found. Since I'm following the wiki I assume these are accurate instruction, although it does say this is for 2019 models. How can I fix this?

So, this is because the Pinebook Pro used to ship with a Debian Linux flavor that uses apt package manager.
Manjaro Linux has decided to support this device, and is continuing to develop the OS for the PBP. This is great, Manjaro [although I prefer an Ubuntu flavor...] is a really solid Linux flavor.

Furthermore, sorry that the wiki has instructions for that Ubuntu OS - since Manjaro is what they're shipping now it should be updated... but in addition, the Pinebook Pro's that have Manjaro shipped did get the trackpad firmware update; I assume that THIS is why the wiki hasn't been updated yet. 

If you really want to mess around with keyboard and trackpad firmware, there is also a user here that wrote his own. His name is.... Jack Homboldt? No... thats wrong... can someone else post with that info? 
Point is, there is a user who wrote a better [so some say] keyboard and trackpad firmware. John Homboldt... sorry its escapting me.

Unless you have real issues with the trackpad not working or funtioning correctly, not just that its the weakest point - it IS the weakest point on this laptop... but if its not functioning properly, you might have luck checking into this version of firmware update. It is supposed to have better options and featuresets than the Pine64 firmware.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
Jack Humbert: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8884

I have his firmware flashed. Can't say it is any different from the latest official (?) firmware as far as making the touchpad more usable goes, but it fixed for me some keyboard issues, like the ability to use Super with arrows for quick tiling. Also I was able to use it to swap around Ctrl and Fn--as a ThinkPad user, I much prefer Fn on the outside and Ctrl on the inside right next to Super--as well as map right Alt as the Menu key (helps to avoid switching hands to mouse/touchpad in some apps).
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mhwd-kernel: command not found motezart 1 3,247 10-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Command line flashing script with media verification, xz image support Arglebargle 2 4,493 12-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Arglebargle