Fresh image, SIM card working
Mail also works. But Jolla store does not list all available apps. Any hints?
(09-21-2020, 10:30 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: Mail also works. But Jolla store does not list all available apps. Any hints?
for example? Since there's no android support it won't show apps that require it, like fdroid.
Do you also get a network error in the store ?
(09-20-2020, 10:12 AM)RodneyMyers Wrote: Created a fresh install image this morning. unlike previous attempts, this fresh install now finds the sim card.

Thank you devs
Did you do that using flash-it script?

I flashed an SD card (with flash-it, choosing "braveheart") and didn't get it to work -- red light but no booting -- so I cleared the partition table (card had been used previously) and then the flashing script clearly showed success and when I put it in the phone it booted up to device setup.

So far so good, got wifi setup, jolla account connected language and region, etc. and go thru the tutorial ok. But after that, it gave me the spinny sailfish circle of patience. I can still pull down the top menu, but can't get past the spinner doing anything I tried. That happened with megous' multiboot as well, so I thought maybe it would work ok on the second boot as it had there.

(But we interrupt this report for some good news I just noticed: double-tap to wake works!)

I tried a shutdown by pushing the power button till the top menu appeared with the I/O symbol and tapped that to shutdown, I got the Jolla "Goodbye!" but it didn't get it all the way off. Still had to long-press the power switch before I could boot again.

I think on the 4th time through, shutdown worked as expected, and device was fully shut down and could be restarted without doing a hard shutdown with power long-press, but still no success getting past spinny circle.

What I can do: I can change ambiance from top menu, and home will appear briefly before spinny circle re-appears. Can also swipe up to load camera. Camera doesn't work and I just get something resembling the old NTSC colorbars, but that's no big deal -- I haven't got camera to work on anything but Ubuntu Touch, and even that wasn't really usable.

Aha! A clue. I can get tactile feedback when clicking on where the keypad should be after changing ambience with top menu and then swiping to the right before it reverted to the circle. Tried this a few times entering PIN where I thought keys should be. 6th time I hit it and boom there it is! I quickly went into settings and disabled device lock with PIN.

Investigating further, ran "top" from terminal. Pulseaudio is using 100% cpu. I killed this and phone cooled off, but no other change in behavior. Spinny circle still shows up on unlock, whether button or double-tap. But without PIN set, a right or left swipe get me to home right away with no invisible keypad game Wink

Let's reboot and see if anything's better with the spinner -- nope. Back to terminal, to try some updates. After "pkcon refresh" a few packages need updates, so "pkcon update" to fetch those and restart the phone.

Restarted ok, boots up and still shows the spinner. Phone getting hot, so I look at "top" again and "greetings-helpe..." is using over 200% cpu. Killing that works, but now pulseaudio is back using 99%. Those terminate cleanly. Phone seems to get a little cooler, but still warmer that I think it should be for not really doing anything much at the moment. Probably just some efficiency to still be gained in hardware adaptation, so no real issue right now.

I activated developer features, and can now ssh into the phone.

Nice work, Pinephone Sailfish developers! Thanks!
Energy consumption is VERY high. The dev wrote that crust is ATM not actiVe and needs to be implemented.

So far - aside no working camera and BT - the build starts well and runs well
(09-21-2020, 10:30 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: Mail also works. But Jolla store does not list all available apps. Any hints?

Is there a specific app or apps that should be in store but isn't? What repos are enabled on your device?

I've got:

Code:
adaptiation-community
adaptation-community-common
adaptation-dontbeevil
adaptation-dontbeevil-kernel
adaptation-pinephone
apps
hotfixes
hw-native-common
jolla
store

. . . correct spelling not guaranteed, I retyped here from phone screen (without glasses on).

This morning I see that kernel-adaptation-pine64 has been updated.

Device doesn't seem to be excessively warm, but that may just be happenstance today. Otherwise haven't noticed major changes.

Nice to see updates coming.
(09-21-2020, 02:35 PM)robthebold Wrote: Aha! A clue. I can get tactile feedback when clicking on where the keypad should be after changing ambience with top menu and then swiping to the right before it reverted to the circle. Tried this a few times entering PIN where I thought keys should be. 6th time I hit it and boom there it is! I quickly went into settings and disabled device lock with PIN.
^Fantastic detective work! Thanks....this lock screen hiccup is a major PITA and it's been around for a long time. With this workaround in mind choose an easy PIN with the same number repeated 5 times and mark the screen with an indelible pen where the number is and the arrow to submit.
(09-22-2020, 08:36 AM)defactofactotum Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:35 PM)robthebold Wrote: Aha! A clue. I can get tactile feedback when clicking on where the keypad should be after changing ambience with top menu and then swiping to the right before it reverted to the circle. Tried this a few times entering PIN where I thought keys should be. 6th time I hit it and boom there it is! I quickly went into settings and disabled device lock with PIN.
^Fantastic detective work! Thanks....this lock screen hiccup is a major PITA and it's been around for a long time. With this workaround in mind choose an easy PIN with the same number repeated 5 times and mark the screen with an indelible pen where the number is and the arrow to submit.

Set your background image to show where the keys should be, surely? Smile

Sim card is working in my now too, but I have an odd issue where the battery charge display doesn't change unless I reboot.
(09-22-2020, 09:25 AM)Baggypants Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 08:36 AM)defactofactotum Wrote:

Set your background image to show where the keys should be, surely? Smile

Sim card is working in my now too, but I have an odd issue where the battery charge display doesn't change unless I reboot.
The spinny thing seems to be on an opaque black cover Sad

For me, the no-PIN option seems best, since I can just swipe from edge to unlock -- it's my preference, anyway. Might not be suitable if you keep anything sensitive on phone, but until pinephone is daily-driver ready that probably isn't a problem.
So SailfishOS is working very well for me for the last day or so. No issue with the lock screen. Lot's of helpful apps, Sim stuff doing what it should.

I only really have three issues. The Camera, I kind of hope that a hacky port of Mobians Megapixels might be enough, although I'm clueless to how the various OS's do hardware abstraction and the available code frameworks. The volume doesn't appear to change, although the buttons seem to move a volume bar up and down at the top of the screen. I suspect it's only changing the ringtone volume, not the main out volume, possibly pulseaudio is confused to what the actual output device is. The battery charge indicator doesn't update unless you do a reboot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Script not working Andidoko 4 1,463 04-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: moodroid
  RAW image output only 32MB and not working Kimberley van Buyten 3 1,848 05-30-2022, 08:00 AM
Last Post: acrux
  flash-it.sh script currently unable to create a SailfishOS image acrux 3 3,461 07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Last Post: OhneZ
  February image, upgrade to SFOS4 defactofactotum 8 7,588 02-24-2021, 09:45 AM
Last Post: defactofactotum
  January image defactofactotum 8 9,015 01-08-2021, 10:27 PM
Last Post: DrPhibes
  December image defactofactotum 3 4,930 12-16-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: defactofactotum