Elementary OS download
(10-01-2020, 06:43 AM)Mangled Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 06:36 PM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 08:14 PM)bastafari Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 07:49 PM)Paulie420 Wrote: I'll pay $10 - I thought it wanted me to sign a $10 per month recurring thing.... I swear it said recurring, just FYI - but maybe I'm in the wrong... don't take my word for it.

I'll also pay $10 gladly - it seems like they are working on supporting an Elementary build anyway, I heard on a PodCast today an Elementary team guy was on it.

I'll check into the Elementary website again... if its a one time donation, I will send it to them; heck, its worth that for the nightly builds and anything beneficial that comes up as they develop it.

Thanks for telling me that, too - cause I was gonna be over it.
I think it is a monthly thing but if course you can cancel it. Just go to your subscriptions tab in PayPal and cancel.

Well... I did find a build from late August - and... its pretty darn good. I mean this flavor of Linux is a bit vanilla for me - BUT its Ubuntu, and certainly seems to be performing well on the PBP... 

I understand what you're saying about the donation cancel thing; and I think I'll at least throw them a tenner. Its money well spent, and hopefully they see some interest (and $$$) from the PBP community. Whether or not this will find its way to a production use for me is to be determined... but its really nice. Also, it could be another build for other users; my kids, a linux novice, etc etc. 

Elementary is looking pretty nice on the PBP. Last mention here, I'll go donate to them and get the most current build of Elementary, and make the IMG available for download somewhere; posting the links here. [emoji14] Hope that helps the next person wanting to take a look - If ya'll use it, send them the $10. We could possibly stagger them so we always have the next weeks build - they say they release once a week.

Are there any advantages to elementary os? Are their apps compatible from the store to run on arm64?
Well I haven't dug into it very much. I do keep it on an sd card for the simple fact that it appears to just work out of the box. There are some elements missing in terms of theming. I can't remember what else but elementary states what issues there might be one their site. As far as apps, are there any you specifically were looking for? I can pop my card in and see what happens.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Apt sources list points to ubuntu focal
There is also a list (launchpad) for elementary
I still can't see any advantages to this os. Is it just to have a stunning desktop or are there apps specifically packaged for arm as well? I heard elementary os has an in house app store that you can purchase/donate apps to. Kinda like a proprietary system for Linux. I guess I'm wondering if they are all compatible with arm .
Underneath, it is ubuntu, as sources.list shows (/etc/apt/sources.list)
Just with a different wm (window manager) and also polished, configured
With apt-get or synaptic, you can change it as you wish, anything in ubuntu repository
I don't like wm locked into only 1 desktop, but it is certainly pretty
Also, sleep does work
Just an FIY, if you are running elementary the last I checked elementary tweaks is not available for arm yet, but you can download gnome tweaks from the store and enable some things like a better dark mode that way.
Update to the elementary blog about the os. https://blog.elementary.io/platform-chan...tary-os-6/

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Default Manjaro KDE build download link for Pinebook Pro? qeek 8 8,563 03-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Last Post: MrDitchy
  zram swap support for the PBP; aka: "how to download more RAM" Arglebargle 10 12,835 02-02-2020, 10:53 AM
Last Post: moonwalkers