WiFi signal weak
I see that there is a note about this in the wiki but it doesn't give much detail about the cause. Is this a driver issue? hardware issue? Is everyone experiencing this or just some?

For me the reception is equally poor in UBPorts and Arch.
Can somebody, anybody...confirm or deny they are having wifi issues? I'm trying to narrow down what is causing my issues and whether it is a hardware defect or just immature software. However, nobody else seems to be talking about wifi issues so I'm confused.
(09-27-2020, 10:49 AM)kelbot Wrote: Can somebody, anybody...confirm or deny they are having wifi issues? I'm trying to narrow down what is causing my issues and whether it is a hardware defect or just immature software. However, nobody else seems to be talking about wifi issues so I'm confused.

No issue here on Mobian and I can't remember of any issue in UBports. It runs very well. Maybe give it a try with Mobian on SD card or check the antenna connection if you are not to shy to open the back cover.
(09-27-2020, 04:32 PM)guenther Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 10:49 AM)kelbot Wrote: Can somebody, anybody...confirm or deny they are having wifi issues? I'm trying to narrow down what is causing my issues and whether it is a hardware defect or just immature software. However, nobody else seems to be talking about wifi issues so I'm confused.

No issue here on Mobian and I can't remember of any issue in UBports. It runs very well. Maybe give it a try with Mobian on SD card or check the antenna connection if you are not to shy to open the back cover.

Thank you for the report. I've tried Mobian and have poor signal as well. This entry in the wiki is the only thing keeping me from thinking I'm crazy right now Big Grin.
I guess I will have to open it up and see if something is loose.
(09-27-2020, 08:07 PM)kelbot Wrote: Thank you for the report. I've tried Mobian and have poor signal as well. This entry in the wiki is the only thing keeping me from thinking I'm crazy right now Big Grin.
I guess I will have to open it up and see if something is loose.

You are welcome! Again, reception is good on my tab, going outside the house or to the second floor where router is at first floor is no problem. Good luck and keep us up to date!
Got around to opening the PineTab and the wifi antenna was not connected at all. Just laying there. Plugged it in and now my reception is very good.
(10-06-2020, 09:20 PM)kelbot Wrote: Got around to opening the PineTab and the wifi antenna was not connected at all. Just laying there. Plugged it in and now my reception is very good.
Perfect! Congratulations!
Initial attempts to log in to my access point/router failed. Later, after many different attempts from my work room, I went to stand within 2 meters of the router and re-entered the code for  the AP connection. After that, I was able to back away from the router and to move to a different floor where I typically work with signal strength still very acceptable.

The recommendation I would make it to be close to your router/AP when you initially fire up the Pinetab. I have not opened the case to assess the status of the WiFi antenna.
I think there are definitely driver issues, as I have had noticeable differences on three different builds.

UBPorts worked fine except for disconnecting once in awhile, but signal strength was good.
Arch/phosh had very weak signals from the same source(s).
Arch/plasma has good signal and good control.

All tested from the same location. Plasma is my favorite so far. touch screen works great and has a good linux look to it.

David
de KL7JKC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab 2 just arrived + when can hope to se wifi driver LRP 15 7,282 02-28-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Pinetab2 without Wifi a comfort extra? Schlucker 8 2,868 07-14-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  No WiFi or Ethernet on vanilla PineTab 2 from the factory? SmittyWerbenyegermanjenson 6 2,129 06-06-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Wifi adapter not found after update failed jojuma 0 592 01-22-2023, 05:15 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  kernel crash on wifi initialization javier.pb 0 2,027 12-30-2020, 08:01 AM
Last Post: javier.pb